ThatDeadGuy

Warlord - the state of play

If you want fluff, look up the faction books. I believe all the original 8 were published. They're still floating around places like ebay, and amazon.

Crusaders, Reven, Necropolis, Nefsokar, and Overlords were the only Faction books released.  They were great books, but the problem was, they were being written by the Reaper staff who were also trying to manage their day-to-day jobs at the factory as well.  Too many hats, not enough heads.

At that point, the plan to make individual faction books was dropped, and instead a multifaction book was going to come out.

RAGE Chronicles was sort of a precursor to that.  

Then the rules got rebooted with 2.0.

If you can get your hands on it, the old Dark Heavens Apocalypse boxed set has a ton of fluff about the various countries and powers in Adon (Warlord game world) that Warlord is based directly off from.  Even the Savage North armies are based on stuff from Apocalypse.

• Like 3

I could have sworn there were more....

I knew there were only the five, but I still had to double check.

I think there was work being done on Elves and Dwarves before the plan was scrapped.

I picked up a hard cover the other day called "Warlord, Battles in Worn Torn Taltos" . . . where in the Warlord Publishing history does this book fall?

Edited by Maredudd

That's a first edition book.  Second edition Core Rulebook was softcover.

If you look at the binding, if there is a ribbon on the edge of the binder, that is a second printing, and some corrections were made between 1st and second printing.

I don't see a ribbon and looking inside I see a "First Printing June 2004". The binding also has "Core Rules" so duh! Its the core rules . . . :-)

I already have 2nd Ed and Savage North. Did the fluff change much?

Not that it really matters . . . I have the book now and you'll have to PRYITOUTOFMYGRUBBYFINGERS to get it . . . :-)

• Like 2

Fluff didn't change at all between 1E & 2E AFAIK. Just the armies were expanded that didn't get Faction Book love.

KS III is currently giving ridiculous amounts of Warlord love.

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 1

Yes it is!

I was looking for some Icingstead love and have found it! Next, I need a little Halfling Love! (For that Halfing Army I want to build and beta test!)

There is also fluff in the older casketworks. You'd have to look through them to see what articles are in each.

If you can get your hands on it, the old Dark Heavens Apocalypse boxed set has a ton of fluff about the various countries and powers in Adon (Warlord game world) that Warlord is based directly off from.  Even the Savage North armies are based on stuff from Apocalypse.

I love the Dark Heavens Apocalypse box set. Great fluff.

There is also fluff in the older casketworks. You'd have to look through them to see what articles are in each.

I believe the very first one has a lot of fluff and should be availabe in pdf for free on Reaper's website.

With so many Warlord models in the KS we should be talking up the game in the KS comments to try and drum up interest with newcomers.

• Like 4

With so many Warlord models in the KS we should be talking up the game in the KS comments to try and drum up interest with newcomers.

Great idea!  I just did so in the comments, time now.

• Like 1

A handy list of which ones are Warlord models and which ones are close proxies for a Warlord model would be a fun thing to compile. But, in this thread.

I saw 5 Crusaders, Some Tre Manor Orcs...

All of the initial core is either a Warlord model, or can be immediately proxied in for an existing model.