Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

Deva 77363 with interference paint

So for the get to know you thread I said I was going to try painting the deva with interference paint. 

I started with adamantium black as a base coat. 

Then I used red interference over the top for the skirt. 

Blue for the armor and wing tips

And purple on the wings. 

When it dried I washed adamantium over the top because the interference likes to settle too thickly in the crevasses even why dry brushed on. 

I also played with using a little silver to highlight the skin, and to make stars. 

I still am trying to figure out how I can edge highlight brighter with the interference.

20170312_202453.png

20170312_202428.png

• Like 20

Cool so far.  To really get contrasted highlights you need to do all your shading and highlighting (probably in black/white) before using the interference.  Otherwise your new highlights won't interfere with the light correctly.  Rather than repainting though, you can mix some of your highlight with some interference paint and apply that where needed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I love anything with interference paint, I didn't realize the shortcomings from it though. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

this is only my second try at using it, so there's probably important bits I'm still doing wrong, but it is pretty fun looking when the light hits it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

this is only my second try at using it, so there's probably important bits I'm still doing wrong, but it is pretty fun looking when the light hits it.

The second best kind of paint I've ever encountered.

• Like 2

I have no experience with interference paints.

Would like to try it one day, does anyone know of a brand that sells in Europe?

How do I recognize these paints?

Also...good job so far.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Also...good job so far.

I'm using "golden" acrylics that I got from an art supply store, I forget if it was Dick Blick or Utrecht. The bottles just say "blue interference" or which ever color and hen have some of the paint brushed over the label so you can what it looks like. 

Not sure if that's available in Europe or not. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Also...good job so far.

Lascaux is a European brand of acrylic paint that includes an iridescent / interference range.  Lascaux calls them "Perlacryl".

When paint companies describe interference paints they usually mention that the optical effects come from microscopic flakes of mica.  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Lascaux is a European brand of acrylic paint that includes an iridescent / interference range.  Lascaux calls them "Perlacryl".

When paint companies describe interference paints they usually mention that the optical effects come from microscopic flakes of mica.  

Thank you, I will look into that!

39 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I'm using "golden" acrylics that I got from an art supply store, I forget if it was Dick Blick or Utrecht. The bottles just say "blue interference" or which ever color and hen have some of the paint brushed over the label so you can what it looks like. 

Not sure if that's available in Europe or not. 

Sounds pretty Dutch, Utrecht is one of our cities... Going to check this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Thank you, I will look into that!

Sounds pretty Dutch, Utrecht is one of our cities... Going to check this.

Utrecht could be a Dutch company but it isn't always the case. 

Lots of art-related companies have names reminiscent of the Dutch Old Masters.

"Holbein", for example, is a Japanese company (and they make excellent acrylics too).

"Rembrandt" brand paints *are* made in the Netherlands, but I believe they only make oil paints.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Utrecht could be a Dutch company but it isn't always the case. 

Lots of art-related companies have names reminiscent of the Dutch Old Masters.

"Holbein", for example, is a Japanese company (and they make excellent acrylics too).

"Rembrandt" brand paints *are* made in the Netherlands, but I believe they only make oil paints.

Interesting!

I just found a Dutch site who sells the Perlacryl from Lascaux..85ML for over 16 euro!!!!

Is such paint always that expensive?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Interesting!

I just found a Dutch site who sells the Perlacryl from Lascaux..85ML for over 16 euro!!!!

Is such paint always that expensive?

I'm afraid so.  Lascaux paints cost more than that in the US.

Golden interference paints cost somewhat less around here (about $12 for 59 ml instead of $22 for 85 ml), but I'm afraid good art supplies don't come cheap.

ETA:  By way of comparison, Reaper paints are $3.29 for 15 ml, which makes them ounce-for-ounce very close to the price I would pay for Golden acrylics and you would pay for Lascaux.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 3

Hadn't thought of that, you're right.

Might give it a try then.

Thx Pingo!

Werkrobotwerk, sorry for stealing the thread, ( Anchorman's Voice) and now back to you...

• Like 4