The right tool for the job – Recommended tools for making terrain

Just finished a short article for DaggerAndBrush showing you a selection of tools that will come in very handy for pretty much any terrain project. I keep it simple and recommend a number of tools for cutting and measuring; painting, sculpting and engraving; and tools that are nice to have, but not essential.

So if you just started making terrain or intend to make some this may come in handy.

The right tool for the job

tools-collage-feature.jpg?w=711

• Like 8

I try to learn about all aspects of the hobby.

That is one of the nice things about this Forum, we all share our techniques and ideas.

There is always something useful to be found and new things to try.

*** Looks puzzled at neighbour's cat...***

• Like 1
On 3/14/2017 at 6:45 AM, malefactus said:

Ir's always interesting to see how other Folk do their terrain. There is always another way to skin the cat.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:55 AM, Xherman1964 said:

I try to learn about all aspects of the hobby.

That is one of the nice things about this Forum, we all share our techniques and ideas.

There is always something useful to be found and new things to try.

*** Looks puzzled at neighbour's cat...***

There are days, Xherman, where I'm glad I am not drinking my tea when you reply to Malefactus. 

I am a horrible, horrible person.  But I laughed anyways.

I like the list you provided.  It's very handy and it includes almost everything I use for miniatures as well as the small amount of terrain I've built, too.  It even has some things I do not have (all the optional things and a few from the other lists too).

• Like 2

@Darkmeer Thank you, glad the list was of use. I would love to have a 3d-Printer or laser cutter. I am not even sure I would do lots of stuff with it, but the possibilities the two afford are limitless. Hopefully in the future those will be more affordable and better quality. More realistic is the wire cutter. I like the whole homebrew stuff, but with electronics that is a whole new world for me.

@Peithetairos  I do find the list very handy.  It's a great checklist of tools that anyone could use.  I find that the way the list is organized to be a great way for someone looking at the hobby from the outside going and going how to get started, this article is definitely going to be referenced. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...