ultrasquid

CMON enm5006 Ahnamoth undead minotaur

A little something I picked up from my FLGS's discount bin; this 54mm scale mummified minotaur comes with a choice of horns and pole-cleavers to attach to an otherwise simple assembly. Here are the parts laid out before priming.

20170314_162824r.jpg.f07ff50e2a8b0e8545ba57cd95f91e3c.jpg

I still struggle to decide which horns and weapon to build him with. Using one means not using the other, after all, but I figure they'll find another place to go eventually.

Edited by ultrasquid
random thoughts
  • Like 7

I primed it with Krylon Camouflage ultra-flat khaki. I'd already drilled and fitted pins between the feet and base. Should I attach it to the base now or wait until I'm further along? This is the first resin piece I've done in a while and it's kind of on the edge of my comfort zone.

20170314_190043b.jpg.3d26aef310abf92697fa7d35faded777.jpg

• Like 3

I don't have any input to give as far as working with resin, but I agree about using the far left weapon, and I like the curved horns.

• Like 2

So, curved horns up, or back. The piece will fit either way.

I think upward they set a nicer line through the figure's limbs, but in the back position he looks more beastly

• Like 1

Personally, I never attach anything to the base first. I like to complete the figure and base separately. But that is just a personal preference. I like the curved horns too. I'm not sure which way I'd do it without seeing them both ways. Pics would help. ::D:

• Like 1

I choose a!  Looks the most devilish and terrifying--imagine encountering this thing in near dark and only seeing its outline.

• Like 1

I'm with the others and pick A. 

I would paint him off his base and assemble at the end. 

• Like 1

I like A the best as well.  I think if you imagine D from a logical perspective it doesn't make sense to me.  It would be really difficult to use his horns for anything.

Edit: By the way, this is a really cool find and I can't wait to see how you paint it.

Edited by Pineapple
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tiniest rhombus said:

Can the horns be set pointing forward just a titch? I'm really looking forward too seeing this guy painted up. 

The horns are metal parts so I might be able to tweak them just a bit. The part is small so getting leverage would be tough.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      Finished the Bones Version of the Avatar of Thoth.
      Sculptes a bit of ruins with a Greenstuffworld Rollerpin.

Thoth is often depicted as an Ibis, I choose the Red Ibis as inspiration.

WIP here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79372-shifting-sands-glitterwolf-paints-egyptian-undead/&page=9

Lots of pics, I tried my new cell phone and it seems to do it's job well.

• By haldir
      So I've always have had problems pinning a round object, more or less trying to get the pin vise/drill into the round part of the piece. In this instance, the round part is the hand of the river troll 14008 (Warlord line). The wrist has a perfect indentation for the "ball" of the hand. With having to travel to play & such & of course actual gameplay I don't trust superglue alone.

Any tips?
    • By Mortal Arrow
      Warren of Vile Fungi is scheduled to start at 7:00 pm EST on Friday, November 1. It will include over 2 dozen individual fungoid-based miniatures developed and sculpted by Pedro Navarro. He's been working on this project for over 2 years in collaboration with Mortal Arrow. It's a deep dive into heroic, fantastic, and terrifying fungal beings from the 1970's to the present. Ascomoids, Gas Spores, Basidironds, Ustilagors, corrupted Myconids, and heroic Myconids are just some of the many hand-sculpted miniatures from Pedro.

The project itself will be live for only 2 weeks, so please consider supporting this effort by Mortal Arrow and Pedro Navarro. Every little bit of aid is important to us, so we kindly ask that you follow this project at the link below:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/…/12638849…/warren-of-vile-fungi

You can see more details about the miniatures on the Mortal Arrow Facebook and Pedro's blog here:
      http://mr-bugman.blogspot.com/

We will be posting details and updates on this thread as well.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and enthusiasm!!! We are very excited to bring scary, and heroic, fungi to peoples around the globe!!

• By Aard_Rinn
      For the last few months since Reapercon, I've been focusing on pumping out minis to avoid the rut I got into last year. When I saw that Reaper had released the ghost sailors as metal figures, well... I knew what one of my October projects was going to be. I loved these guys as part of the Bones IV kickstarter, but I've not enjoyed painting plastic minis as much since getting back into metals at the Reapercon melt table, so I was psyched to order them and put in an order that night... Most of the rest I had from Reapercon, although I think I picked up Labella there too.

Either way, these guys painted up gorgeous and easy using my go-to one-two spirit technique! As a firm believer in spooky blue ghosts, I started by priming them white, then giving them a couple layers of Irrisen Blue from the new Pathfinder paintset... My old blue standby was from the HD line and the bottle has faded to the point of illegibility, but it was almost identical. Then once it's dry, I drybrush heavily with Linen White (pure white comes out looking starched, and bluer whites don't show on the blue, but linen is perfect) and... call it a day. Decorate the bases, maybe some pizza... 's good. That said, minis painted using this technique meet my #1 requirement for ghost minis: They're distinctive on the table!

I debated doing some OSL, but decided that it would wash the bases out, unfortunately. I like it better this way, with the bases nice and grounded, and the ghosts spooky and glowing! Lots of fun base details on these, too - 10/10 recommend picking them up if you have any sort of use for them!

Miniatures involved (not enough tags for them all): 03965: Ghost Pirate Cook, 03966: Ghost Pirate Quartermaster, 03967: Ghost Pirate Captain, 03968: Ghost Pirate Bosun, 03969: Drowned Nymph Ghost: Banshee, 03718: Ghost Bride, 03475: Labella DeMornay, Banshee, 03170: Lurien, Ghost, 14168: Gauren, Necropolis Hero, 03799: Female Wraith

03965: Ghost Pirate Cook

03966: Ghost Pirate Quartermaster

03967: Ghost Pirate Captain

03968: Ghost Pirate Bosun

03969: Drowned Nymph Ghost: Banshee

03718: Ghost Bride

03475: Labella DeMornay, Banshee

03170: Lurien, Ghost

14168: Gauren, Necropolis Hero

03799: Female Wraith

Of all of these, if I had to pick favorites... Hm... Ghost Bride and Gauren. They took the drybrushing perfectly and are super-fun figures!
    • By Rigel
      Most of this Early Modern Monster Hunter/Classic Monsters series I've been doing is based on late-Renaissance and early-modern Europe, with notes of high moors shrouded in cold mists; filthy cities with crooked narrow cobblestoned alleyways; high castles on remote crags, etc. But the world's a big place, and it's good to remember that the pulp authors that popularized the monster hunter as recurring character (particularly R. E. Howard and Manly Wade Wellman) had a soft spot for Africa in their stories. 
      So here's Ogana, a hero straight out of a Charles Saunders story, with a great Don Cheadle profile. Another fun sculpt, easy to paint and embellish. 

[Side note: if you need to make a Sword and Soul adventuring party, this guy plus Nehanda, Jaatu, Rhasia, and Jigeke would be pretty rad.]

Far to the north of the grassy fields of his home, the red desert whispers and calls. There, a traveler may sometimes find the great pillared houses and temples of the very old men from long ago who once lived there, in the times when the land there too was fertile. But the red desert spread and spread and swallowed the grass, leaving none for the cattle; and the old men could not move their houses to follow the grass, having built them of heavy stone, and so there the pillared houses stay, empty except for the sand and the wind. 

Or perhaps not so empty, thought Ogana, hearing the grating sound of a large stone slab moving over stone, and then the pad of footfalls in the rapidly deepening dusk, footfalls so light on the sand, lighter than that of a man full of blood and water and meat. Ogana hastened to hide himself behind a column and watched. 

It seemed not *all* of the very old men from long ago had left this place. 

• Who's Online   37 Members, 1 Anonymous, 343 Guests (See full list)