CAV scale buildings

Super Jag

Knowing that CAV is N scale or 1/160th, where can I find me some good buildings and terrain? I've looked around on eBay a bit and figured out that I can probably go to a hobby store (model railroad scenery, etc). I've also already purchase some great terrain from JR miniatures.

More specifically I'm looking for at the least:

A. modern to futuristic buildings, terrain, etc.

B. solid/sturdy construction

C. relatively inexpensive (no brainer, eh?)

I know I can make some good generic buildings myself but I'd like something that has a realistic appearance. If anyone knows of a good place please let me know. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to plug somebody else's terrain making

Check Games Workshop site

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/cit...errainintro.htm

The templates can by scaled down and are useful, and yes square windows are square windows are square windows, and if you want to add a window sill it is very easy too.

So you do not need the skins if you do not want to.

There is also a great article on card houses... they are PDFs and you will find lots of useful PDFs on all aspects of modelling and painting. So they are for Flames of War... the skills transfer from one game to the next.

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Magazine.asp?SectionID=28

Flames of War is 15 mm, CAV is 12 mm so it will possibly be easier to get the scale.

You can also go here for relaxation in between projects.

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/

Oh and GW is coming out with a book on how to build wargaming terrain, and it is full of good ideas.

Oh and two things, you can also use Pink cold weather Isolation Foam (unless you are in Cali, then it is shall we say difficult to get) But from Mcswa (sp), the GW game table guru, before you do anything with it, and after you cut it... make sure to cover it with PVA\ yellow glue and sand, to seal it. They use both the pink and the blue cold weather, depending on whether they can get it.

That may go for buildings as well, and by the way, this will also add some texture. Yes some of their buildings, mostly the pyramids, were made from foam.

If you do not mind paying for it, at RPGNOW.COM you can fiind PDF skins, from Microtactix.

Yep, if it does not show, we have fun, lots of it, making terrain. My hubby is the "buildings expert" and I do baseboards. Yep spent some time talking to the GW guy, who builds all those tables for Games Day, learned a lot by the way... and some remnants of foam just became a couple boccage pieces.

On and for the base, you can use foam core for the building, or do what GW does for durabilty, they use the same kind of material that clipboards are made from.

Hope that helps

::D:

Also, as previously stated, it pays to check out the N-scale section. I know Williams has a full kit of a steel mill that might be very useful, as well as skyscraper kits. DPM does a modular brick wall system, so you can custom build buildings. I used this when making terrain for MWDA.

Damon.

Didja know...?

...Architectural proposal models are often made in N Scale? (In Gatlinburg, TN at the convention center, there is an N Scale model of the building, made of posterboard and plastic, on display. It was made for the original construction proposal, and includes much of the surrounding terrain and outbuildings!)

Are there any architect firms in your hometown? Get in good graces with them and ask them about their sources. Maybe you can score some obsolete models or spare parts or materials!

While I was Googling:

Online Source for Architectural Model Terrain

Now, 1/192 scale is about 83.3 percent of N scale, so those dinky little 16"=1' scale cars would look okay with your CAVs, and maybe even make them look more "heroic". Buying those parking lot assortment packs makes the models $1 each, so it's economic too.

For the Police SWAT versus Gangbangers/runaway trainer CAV scenerios, a little clipping of sprue will transform a "full-size" into an Adam 12 or an SUV into an ambulance. ("Gumball rack!") They even have van trucks for your heavy equipment.

Not sure whether 60 cents/person for the 16"=1' civvies is worth your interest, tho'.

A 50 pack of trees will probably last you a lifetime!

I looked at that site, and didn't see anything that immediately looked like n-scale. Granted, I think in Imperial measures for anything ober 72mm, but below that, I think in either fractional scales like 1/60 or 1/72 or 1/160, or I think in metric. Do architects use a different set of scales, then?

...Architectural proposal models are often made in N Scale? (In Gatlinburg, TN at the convention center, there is an N Scale model of the building, made of posterboard and plastic, on display. It was made for the original construction proposal, and includes much of the surrounding terrain and outbuildings!)

Yeah FPilot, I wondered about that. That's actually what got me thinking about finding this type of terrain. There was a guy at the school here recently that had a cool N scale looking replica of a land fill and all I could do was think about how I could snatch it and take it home for my gaming before anyone noticed it was missing.

Unfortunately, my five finger discount didn't work out. ::(:::D: