Jump to content

Recommended Posts

wow, stunning! I love this mini - I've been meaning to paint my copy for some time. your lovely piece is inspiration, to say the least! It is smooth and superbly shaded. I like your choice of darker clothing - definitely not what I was expecting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vulture said:

wow, stunning! I love this mini - I've been meaning to paint my copy for some time. your lovely piece is inspiration, to say the least! It is smooth and superbly shaded. I like your choice of darker clothing - definitely not what I was expecting. 

The colors were the most difficult thing to really choose. I think being Greek you think of billowing white robes but that was kind of what I wanted to avoid. With an Oracle I wanted something a little more subdued and mysterious. I was also reading that the normal Greek citizen typically wore white but Greeks  that had money preferred more colorful clothing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kar said:

Very beautifully done.  A very elegant looking piece.

Thanks, but I just throw paint on it, the sculpting is what makes it so nice, done by Chris Fitzpatrick!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like how well you did her armpits.
Kind of a weird compliment, I know. But I stared at it for a bit, and they're what really sells the realism and sense of motion for me.

The cloth and fire are also exceptionally well done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fectin said:

I really like how well you did her armpits.
Kind of a weird compliment, I know. But I stared at it for a bit, and they're what really sells the realism and sense of motion for me.

The cloth and fire are also exceptionally well done.

I'm going to accept it for the compliment that it is! Thank you very much!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!  I like your decisions on color and value (dark dress, light hood, green flame) and the smoothness of the paint work.

 

I especially admire the way Chris FitzPatrick worked out the design and pose -- the oracle's knee between 2 legs of the brazier, the arms, the branch, the hood/veil, the sash.  He got it to be one piece, when otherwise it might have required 4 or 5 pieces.

 

In case you didn't think of it, you can bend or twist the metal out-of-plane to get shapes and angles that aren't possible from the stock casting: bend/fold the leaves on the branch to a variety of angles, twist her wrist so the whole branch is at an oblique angle, etc.  On figures that I sculpt, I sometimes make elements unnaturally flat/planar because I know I can bend the metal (and hope the buyer of the figure also does that).  It's easier and cheaper than sculpting those elements as separate pieces to attach.

 

Derek

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dks said:

Very nice!  I like your decisions on color and value (dark dress, light hood, green flame) and the smoothness of the paint work.

 

I especially admire the way Chris FitzPatrick worked out the design and pose -- the oracle's knee between 2 legs of the brazier, the arms, the branch, the hood/veil, the sash.  He got it to be one piece, when otherwise it might have required 4 or 5 pieces.

 

In case you didn't think of it, you can bend or twist the metal out-of-plane to get shapes and angles that aren't possible from the stock casting: bend/fold the leaves on the branch to a variety of angles, twist her wrist so the whole branch is at an oblique angle, etc.  On figures that I sculpt, I sometimes make elements unnaturally flat/planar because I know I can bend the metal (and hope the buyer of the figure also does that).  It's easier and cheaper than sculpting those elements as separate pieces to attach.

 

Derek

Thanks very much Derek!

yeah, I very much like how Chris created this as a single piece with the option of moving things around a little to make it more three dimensional. There are some Stonehaven figures out there like that too. With this particular figure though it didn't really occur to me to move anything, not even the leaves, I think because I liked the feeling of motion into a single direction the oracle seemed to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Unit04
      B:GCC - Wayne Manor Expansion has a few more missions that take place in Wayne Manor or the Batcave.  
       
      The "plain clothes" heroes of the set

       
      Bruce Wayne suited up in a different way.
       
       
      Alfred, always good to have handy.  
       
       
      Barbara Gordon/Oracle.  I prefer her as Batgirl but Oracle certainly has merit.  
        
       
      Julia Pennyworth, Alfred's daughter.
        
       
      Bats! The first and third from the left are facing away from the camera.  Three of the figures have a bat that is missing a wing.  I wouldn't have noticed if the fourth didn't obviously have a wing there.  I wonder what happened.  Did the mold break or what.  

       
       
       
       
    • By Samedi
      Here is the famous scene from Hamlet, reenacted by a vulture.
       
      Painting it was a bit weird: I started with a completely different color scheme in mind (cool whites, blues, gold), but somehow the mini wouldn't let me and I ended up with this version. I am happy with it, though.
       
      I am here to learn, so c&c is very welcome! Especially the second c!
      Enjoy!
       
      (Sorry for the picture quality, I don't have access to a good camera right now, is's just my phone).

    • By 72moonglum
      Hi all,
      just finished this one last night, hope you enjoy! Another really nice figure from Chris Fitzpatrick and his company Crocodile Games.  This was from their most recent Kickstarter if I'm not mistaken.
       
      Thanks for looking!
       
       


    • By 72moonglum
      So here is my rendition of a figure from Crocodile Games, Hecate sculpted by Chris Fitzpatrick.  She's a bit bare chested, so you can see a shot of her front here:
       
      http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:Crocodile_games_hecate_front_(2).JPG
       
      and here is her view from behind:
       
       
       
       

  • Who's Online   20 Members, 2 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...