Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Crocodile Games Oracle of Delphi

wow, stunning! I love this mini - I've been meaning to paint my copy for some time. your lovely piece is inspiration, to say the least! It is smooth and superbly shaded. I like your choice of darker clothing - definitely not what I was expecting. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vulture said:

wow, stunning! I love this mini - I've been meaning to paint my copy for some time. your lovely piece is inspiration, to say the least! It is smooth and superbly shaded. I like your choice of darker clothing - definitely not what I was expecting. 

The colors were the most difficult thing to really choose. I think being Greek you think of billowing white robes but that was kind of what I wanted to avoid. With an Oracle I wanted something a little more subdued and mysterious. I was also reading that the normal Greek citizen typically wore white but Greeks  that had money preferred more colorful clothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kar said:

Very beautifully done.  A very elegant looking piece.

Thanks, but I just throw paint on it, the sculpting is what makes it so nice, done by Chris Fitzpatrick!

• Like 1

I really like how well you did her armpits.
Kind of a weird compliment, I know. But I stared at it for a bit, and they're what really sells the realism and sense of motion for me.

The cloth and fire are also exceptionally well done.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fectin said:

I really like how well you did her armpits.
Kind of a weird compliment, I know. But I stared at it for a bit, and they're what really sells the realism and sense of motion for me.

The cloth and fire are also exceptionally well done.

I'm going to accept it for the compliment that it is! Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Very nice!  I like your decisions on color and value (dark dress, light hood, green flame) and the smoothness of the paint work.

I especially admire the way Chris FitzPatrick worked out the design and pose -- the oracle's knee between 2 legs of the brazier, the arms, the branch, the hood/veil, the sash.  He got it to be one piece, when otherwise it might have required 4 or 5 pieces.

In case you didn't think of it, you can bend or twist the metal out-of-plane to get shapes and angles that aren't possible from the stock casting: bend/fold the leaves on the branch to a variety of angles, twist her wrist so the whole branch is at an oblique angle, etc.  On figures that I sculpt, I sometimes make elements unnaturally flat/planar because I know I can bend the metal (and hope the buyer of the figure also does that).  It's easier and cheaper than sculpting those elements as separate pieces to attach.

Derek

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dks said:

Very nice!  I like your decisions on color and value (dark dress, light hood, green flame) and the smoothness of the paint work.

I especially admire the way Chris FitzPatrick worked out the design and pose -- the oracle's knee between 2 legs of the brazier, the arms, the branch, the hood/veil, the sash.  He got it to be one piece, when otherwise it might have required 4 or 5 pieces.

In case you didn't think of it, you can bend or twist the metal out-of-plane to get shapes and angles that aren't possible from the stock casting: bend/fold the leaves on the branch to a variety of angles, twist her wrist so the whole branch is at an oblique angle, etc.  On figures that I sculpt, I sometimes make elements unnaturally flat/planar because I know I can bend the metal (and hope the buyer of the figure also does that).  It's easier and cheaper than sculpting those elements as separate pieces to attach.

Derek

Thanks very much Derek!

yeah, I very much like how Chris created this as a single piece with the option of moving things around a little to make it more three dimensional. There are some Stonehaven figures out there like that too. With this particular figure though it didn't really occur to me to move anything, not even the leaves, I think because I liked the feeling of motion into a single direction the oracle seemed to have.