Hello and welcome to the Repository of Paint Arcana! After all this time being here on the forums, I've come across a lot of excellent tips and innovative methods for using paints, and I've been trying to collect what I can for my own use. I thought that it might be a good idea if we all had a central thread where we can post all the interesting things that we've come across. While the majority of posts would certainly be about Reaper paints, I welcome suggestions about any kind that you have. Know a paint that would be a great base for a certain colour? Post in this thread. Know a mix that makes a really vibrant hue? Put 'er right here, pardner. Got a link that shows steps to make a great effect? That's right, you know where it goes. I know that every one of you has something cool that you've come across, and I would urge to to put it here.

09124 Adamantium Black: If you use this to highlight a black basecoat, it serves well to make things look like a beetle carapace.

Tamiya X-27 Clear Red + UHU Glue= Bloody gore

Also, A nice little tip from our illustrious @Mad Jack:

On 3/13/2017 at 9:45 PM, Mad Jack said:

If you're going to use a white to highlight green, yellow or red, Linen White is better than a straight white because it has a fair bit of yellow in it. It won't make the colors go pale quite so quickly.

Nightmare Black is literally actually Nightmare Midnight Blue. Unless you're painting over black primer, even unthinned it will still read as a blue-black rather than black-with-a-blueish-tone. Thin it even slightly and you've got Navy Blue.

It's a good base color for doing "black" hair, since you can still get some shadowing on it using a straight black wash.

If you have old paints that are getting thick, stirring about for or five drops of Flow Improver right into the bottle and shaking the hell out of it for a few minutes will go a long way to reviving them...

These are just examples but feel free to give the community any great tips that you have!

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 6

Relevant to Pingo's thread, one of my forever-ongoing projects is an extension of the old RPChallenge bonus challenge to paint something in only shades of orange, purple and green that contain the actual colors in their names (i.e., "burnt orange")...

By mixing a little bit of Reaper's MSP 09120 Faded Purple with an Anita's craft paint color called 11091 Whispering Green (shown in the image between MSP Ghost White and Linen White, the pic is a bit dark)...

... I eventually managed to create a fairly neutral off-white color (basically close to MSP 09062 Leather White) out of a green and a purple, lol... ::D:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

For metallics paints - Scale 75 - these give awesome coverage.

Mixing Reaper Tanned Skin with Cinnamon Red gives a nice skintone for Native Americans/Meso-Americans.

• Like 6

While this article mentions Citadel colours, these recipes can easily be used with the Reaper line:

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_mixing_guide.html

http://nesbetminiatures.blogspot.ca/2011/04/tutorial-getting-citadel-colours.html

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

For metallics paints - Scale 75 - these give awesome coverage.

Mixing Reaper Tanned Skin with Cinnamon Red gives a nice skintone for Native Americans/Meso-Americans.

Sooo many shiny new paints to buy, soooo little money.  :(  

I'm definitely going to have to try the Scale 75s at some point, just not sure when as I am still building up my paint collection a few bottles at a time.

• Like 3

I guess this is the place to fan-girl over a paint color. 

Reaper's Nightshade Purple. It is *almost* black. It thins to a gray-purple (but that can take a while). It is nice for when you want to make something black, but not perfectly so. Pure Black will help it in recesses. And this is complimented by the entire Dark Elf Skin triad while highlighting up if you want a gray that is barely warm, but distinctly not harsh cold or stony. And of course, the Nightshade Purple works with other cool purples as the most extreme shadow color - but it should be thinned and applied slowly there. 

• Like 3

On 2017-03-17 at 11:47 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Tamiya X-27 Clear Red + UHU Glue= Bloody gore

With the other Tamiya clears, you can get a whole bunch of creepy looking oozes.

Incidentally, the correct UHU glue is hard to come by.

This is the right kind:

61wrAN5ligL._SL1500_.jpg

It's normally not available in the US. There is a solvent free one (indicated in green circle on tube) that may be easier to come by, but results have not been tested.

When I ordered my tube to Canada (via Amazon), it was shipped all the way from Sri Lanka.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

With the other Tamiya clears, you can get a whole bunch of creepy looking oozes.

Incidentally, the correct UHU glue is hard to come by.

This is the right kind:

61wrAN5ligL._SL1500_.jpg

It's normally not available in the US. There is a solvent free one (indicated in green circle on tube) that may be easier to come by, but results have not been tested.

When I ordered my tube to Canada (via Amazon), it was shipped all the way from Sri Lanka.

Yep, mine happened to have come from Israel. It's a shame, when I was a kid I remembered my dad using it all the time. Also, I'm going to have to pick up some of the other clears when I'm in the Big City next. What colours would you recommend?

12 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yep, mine happened to have come from Israel. It's a shame, when I was a kid I remembered my dad using it all the time. Also, I'm going to have to pick up some of the other clears when I'm in the Big City next. What colours would you recommend?

I bought all the clear Tamiya colors available in my area (red, blue, orange, green, yellow) but haven't experimented with all of them.

But if you can imagine something that oozes: giant slug, hatching alien cocoon, radioactive waste from a drum, tree sap or honey; then the color ideas come naturally.

• Like 2