TheOldGuard paints some very old Citadel dragons - WIP

Recently, I've been looking through my collection for something old to get painted up, I came across some very old Citadel dragons (which, in my younger days, I'd either painted or half painted badly) & settled on them. They are:

DRG1 - Red Dragon

DRG2 - Green Dragon

DRG3 - Ice Dragon

DRG4 - Gold Dragon

FF61 - Black Dragon

The plan is to paint them sympathetically in respect of their vintage & base them up nicely but with not too elaborately. So far, I have stripped off as much of the previous paint as possible, some of it still remains & will need some extra effort to remove but I'm not going to worry too much if I cant get it all off - I'll just prime over it. Here's how they look currently.....

58cea1508fe9e_OldCitadelDragons1.thumb.JPG.340925b4b5d288554aa6fd50d5efaefa.JPG 

It's gonna be a long one, I think...............::):

• Like 17
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recently, I've been looking through my collection for something old to get painted up, I came across some very old Citadel dragons (which, in my younger days, I'd either painted or half painted badly)

Did the pinning and gluing on the Red & Green Dragons today. Will hopefully get some gap filling done tomorrow:     Each Dragon had a choice of 3 head variants, I've tried to

Greeny is now finished - Woohoo!             Next on the production line is the Gold Dragon. Here she is, all primed up:  

Posted Images

Been a bit busy with mundane tasks & tiredness lately but I've managed to do a little more to this project over the last few days. All the dragons have now been pinned, glued & "green stuffed". I've also worked on the foundations for a couple of the bases.

Red dragon - I'm going for a rocky mountainside base for this one. I glued some cat litter in place then sculpted green stuff into the gaps to create some basic rocky mound outcrops.

58dff4a6214d0_OldCitadelDragons3.thumb.JPG.1f687f60dab86229f2c8b204c9ea1589.JPG

Green & gold dragons - I'm sticking with the integral bases for these two.

58dff4aa235db_OldCitadelDragons4.thumb.JPG.7192a255a454144321157cb25d036707.JPG58dff4b5340f0_OldCitadelDragons6.thumb.JPG.07477d2fb493a28fafc1d6758906063f.JPG

Ice dragon - I haven't decided on whether to do a base for him yet, I'll think more about that when I start to paint him.........

58dff4ae4b24a_OldCitadelDragons5.thumb.JPG.b6e8b180966af71616e25794ab052ff0.JPG

Black dragon - This base will a marshy one so I've made some small mounds from green stuff & left an area open for adding some still water, I will add some grass tufts etc later.

58dff4bbf17b8_OldCitadelDragons7.thumb.JPG.062f3e7fe29a4308460a72b5507cc42b.JPG

Actual painting is next on the agenda, I'm going to concentrate on one dragon at a time starting with the red dragon.

Thanks for looking! ::):

• Like 10

I laid down most of the base colours this afternoon. Red scales & wings (obviously! :poke:), flesh colour for the underbelly, dark pink in the mouth & yellow eyes.

58e147784e802_OldCitadelDragons10.thumb.JPG.758a5b894d8b93beab5bfdcf872f2f6b.JPG

58e147806f50c_OldCitadelDragons11.thumb.JPG.b09d3df42748559d228c0a070058a1c0.JPG

It was a bit tricky getting paint into some of the limb crevices (especially with the base in place) but otherwise it's quite an easy job so far. I guess this is one of the joys of painting old school minis as they're a lot simpler than modern ones. 

• Like 13

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      And good evening to all of you of the Reaper persuasion,

So just finished photographing this guy this afternoon.  This is an Earth Elemental, originally from a blister pack of three minis, this guy, the Earth Elementals Lord I painted a few days back and an interesting looking iguana-like Earth Familiar, which is on my docket next.  This was sculpted by Jim Johnson and released somewhere in the nineties.  Fun figure to paint, not a drop of metal, but all sorts of different earth tones.  The only un-earthy tones are the crystals in his spine, which I painted blue.  I wanted to originally paint them green to match the crystal in the Shaman's staff, but I didn't think there would be enough contrast between the grass/moss around the stones.

The little iguana familiar will be next!

Enjoy!
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here's what I painted last week, a Skeleton Horde by Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures from 1986. I mounted them on 25mm base and converted a few of them. I used remaining parts from other minis and changed some shields, skulls and weapons. I also printed two army trays to be able to move them more easily and change their arrangement on the game table. There's 16 skeletons in total and I intend to use them during future D&D games.

More pictures under the spoiler (64 pictures).

• By SparrowMarie
      I painted up the Annoyed Rocky as Spyro the Dragon because when I got it that is what it screamed at me to do. I even took some time to do a little basing.

• By Kangaroorex
      I am not good at telling stories on paper.  my mind races far ahead of where the story wants to go and I never get it right so I will let the diorama tell itself.  this is an original copy of the Clutch of Fear produced by Ral Partha in the early 1990s.  The piece is high lead content.  so soft infact that without some strategic pinning the joints fail (or so I have been told). 

The basic story is that 2 egg thieves come to relieve a mother dragon of one of her eggs and she comes back early catching them just as they are leaving.  The setting on the box seems to be some type of sulfur spring or volcanic hot spring and I get the impression of stillness of morning broken only by the shriek of an enraged mother.

I went pretty classic on this one, going with the red dragon and robin blue eggs like the box art but decided that the spines and chest plates should be more contrast than the slightly darker red of the box.  I took the original base pieces included in the box and expanded them to a small diorama of a hotspring using Magic water, a transparent epoxy to create the water around the spring.  The resin developed a little bit of a lip at the edge but I wasn't willing to cut it down and risk the clarity of the water by trying to sand and polish the resin. (its more rubbery that solid and difficult to polish -- I tried on two sample pieces and it didn't work out well.)

anyway the WIP is here if your interested:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94482-a-new-year-a-new-old-dragon/

and here are the images of the final project.  Hope everyone has as much fun looking as I did creating this.  Feel free to comment and question away as always.  The project was a lot of fun and the they got the expression of the egg thief who is looking back to see an enraged mother dragon bearing down on him just about right!

One shot from the human's perspective to give an idea of the trouble they are in....

And one from a mothers perspective as she hones in on the ones who are trying to steal her precious eggs!

• By 72moonglum
      Tere Reaperlased! 
      So here's another miniature from the days gone by, a Julie Guthrie Female Giant, originally in her All Things Dark and Dangerous line.  This is apparently version two of the miniature.  The first one I painted maybe a year or so ago, a more primitive looking hill giant lady, who has always been one of my favorite figures Julie has sculpted along with her female centaur

Julie Guthrie Hill Giant

Julie Guthrie Centaurs

Anyhoos, here she is:

and then afterwards a comparison photo so you can see her against one of her contemporaries, a female mage:

once again, color choice was so hard and I have no idea where the inspiration for purple hair came from. I think it was due to the fact that she wasn't a earth-tone hill giant, but a little more civilized. And we all know most civilized women have purple hair. 

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

• Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)