Sign in to follow this  
Clearman

60028: Pathfinder Red Dragon WIP

This has been sitting on the self of shame for a while.  Decided to pull it down and use it to test a color scheme that I want to use for a different model.

Looking or feedback.  I wanted a somewhat traditional look, but switched up some tans where I normally see whites or blacks.

IMG_20170319_141354.thumb.jpg.c606dfc3f57944b987e7d70ae417d267.jpg 

• Like 10

I like the classic color scheme.

However, the pink/magenta neck spines seem at odds with the rest of the figure. From the picture, they're the same color as the tongue, and don't feel like hardened scales/bones.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

The pink/magenta neck spines seem at odds with the rest of the figure. From the picture, they're the same color as the tongue, and don't feel like hardened scales/bones.

I was going for something to break up the red.  Thought an orange would be too bright but wanted to stay in reddish family.  I started with an Imperial Purple really stood out, so redid with Violet Red and Pale Violet Red. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Amiri, she's an Iconic Barbarian from Reapers Pathfinder line.

Had this one a little while, but all the fiddly bits kept putting me off (and I normally like fiddly minis), she turned out to be super fun to paint though.

As always any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Rahz
      So I’ve been burning through resin for the past few weeks.  Been focusing on busts as my collection of unpainted minis is... impressive.  I should be painting those, but...  Other than my airbrush exploding on me (paint bubbling up through the trigger), this guy hasn’t taken much time yet.  

Got this from Fotis Mint on Patreon along with a bunch of other ones. 

Printed with a mix of regular clear Elegoo resin mixed with clear red ABS-like Elegoo, about 70/30.  

Primed with Vallejo black primer then base coated with Reaper Coal Black (my new favourite black!!) with a drop of Minitaire Green ghost tint to help enhance the green hue.  

he then got a bib and I hit his face with Reaper Mist Green mixed with some white with a lighter (much more white than Most Green) highlight.  

i then glossed up the face with some varnish. 

His face then got some washes.  Old GW Ogryn Flesh thinned down all over, Vallejo Model Wash Dark Green on the skin and Minitaire Fresh Blood Ghost Tint on the lips and teeth.  

The crown then got a base coat of Reaper Scorched Metal.  

Apparently I didn’t take shots of it, but I then mat coated it and cleaned up the black around the face.  

Tonight I’ll bring the skin back to an almost pure white, leaving the washes in the cracks and I’ll get his mouth done.  
      The crown is a more silver colour in the comics but I’m planning on sponging lighter metallics on to give it a less pristine look.  The leather will be relatively plain as I want the face to stand out, but it will get some highlights and buckles picked out. 

Thanks for looking. 

• By ksbsnowowl
      I painted Goremaw the Great Worm up as a fire-infused purple worm for a unique creature from the Pathfinder setting of Galorion.  I am running the Curse of the Crimson Throne AP in D&D 3.5, and this creature will show up in my game tonight.  It is my first finished creature miniature (I have done some terrain previously), and being a perfectionist, I put in 48 hours of work on him (lots of nooks and crannies, and I don't have an airbrush).

I finished him last night, reaching the "good enough" state, as time didn't allow me to put off varnishing him any further.

I started posting a WIP thread when I started working on him several months ago.  Check it out HERE.

Here are my Cindermaw glamor shots.

• By Nightwing
      Here is the start of pathfinder red, which I’ll be doing as a Sapphire dragon, similar to what i did with the Grenadier Red Dragon II (which I did as  a Ruby dragon) a while ago.

Just base colors here; dark blue/black wash over his entire body, earth wash over the sand, and white statue. I really like how the blue and brown look together. The brown will be lightened up to sand, and the blue will end up a more saturated dark blue. I hope those colors will still look good together...

• By Dae
      I planned to go for the coloring suggestion on the box, except with brighter feathers. After base coat and a wash it seemed to turn rather plain. I keep the underside this way, while for the top side of the wings I started adding some variation to the feathers, gradually daring to add more detail and contrast. Took a while to get there, but in the end I was happy and called it finished. I even took a fun picture with it:

But now that I'm a few minis wiser, I demoted him from finished to lacking base. And this is where I am stuck now. 

I had this plan of making a sandstone cliff looking base. I positioned him and started building up terrain, working carefully not to damage the finished mini. I colored some stones of various sizes in a few colors so I don't need to paint as much around the mini and I started to glue my rocks carefully around the base. 

I kept working on it for hours thinking I am getting somewhere, but once I took a break and looked at it again from all sides... I stand by my rocks, I think in a few steps they'll look great, but the scene makes no sense. These are not cliffs, more like a stone quarry, what would a griffon be doing there? - that's too specific and unlikely.

Time to "delete" this somehow and start over... Wish me luck!

https://pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/12/18/griffon-wings/

• Who's Online   23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)