Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

Classic WFB Chaos Sorcerer

I've started working on a classic Chaos sorcerer (variously known as Hutk'Nile, Hutk'Nke or Huth'Nke the plague priest) for a painting challenge at the local Warhammer shop. Basic challenge, paint a single GW character or infantry mini by April 1st and customers will vote for the best in store. I don't think there's even any kind of prize involved, but it's a good excuse to get something done and flex my painting muscles a bit.

So, I started with some zenithal priming using spray cans:

17349613_1502315239780229_35280464166475

Then started on the robes:

17426409_1503774672967619_37363563564769

The base colour is Tausept Ochre, an old Citadel foundation colour, shaded with some RMS Russet Brown and highlighted with RMS Amber Gold and Ghost White (linen white probably would have suited better, but oh well) using wet blending. I've also added a bit of Clear Purple to the Russet Brown for the deepest shadows to try and get some more interesting colour contrast going on.

I need to do a bit of tidying up of the highlights, but I'm pretty happy with the robes now and I'll move on to the flesh next I think. I'm considering a pallid flesh colour with some bluish tones, or maybe green.

• Like 16

He looks excellente already! The robes look appalling already - which is to say they look great! Some of the old WFB models still look amazing today and others didn't age so well. This is one that has really kept its appeal.

As for the skin, pallid is the way to go. We're talking Nurgle here so green tones would make sense although I'd like to see the skin with some bluish tones to show the death side of the dark god of life and death in all its glory. I'm sure whatever you pick will look good so I'm not worried.

• Like 2

17492410_1509743199037433_81210045654864

A bit more work done; tidied up some of the colour on the robes, got some work done on the skin, started on the staff and did most of the fur lining (hard to see much of that in this photo). The skin doesn't really show up that well in this photo (damn phone camera) but it's a grey-green colour with some dark blue shading. Looks suitably deceased I think, but I wonder if I should glaze in some more colour.

• Like 8

Being Nurgle...it would look good to include some stains on the robe, a bit of dried blood, or some greens.

Keep it faded, so maybe glaze over those with the colours of the robe. as if those are old stains.

Love it so far!

• Like 2

EkLHnYH.jpg

It's a bit hard to show anything with a photo because my LED lamp died, but I thought I'd throw a pic up anyway. Just got to do the metallics and the base on the morning and then he'll be off to the Warhammer shop for the judging.

I probably rushed a few bits here and there, but I'm generally happy with it. Particularly with the gems in the staff, they're probably the best I've done so far.

Thanks for your encouragement folks, I've really enjoyed painting this but of Warhammer history so far. Just wish I could get more of the classic Chaos sorcerers and champions without trawling through the evil bay.

• Like 7

Some time ago you could still get a pack of classic Chaos Warriors from GW directly.

I don't know if that is still possible.

The older metal sculpts had so much more character.

I still keep my eyes open for any of those, especially the Nurgle ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xherman1964 said:

Some time ago you could still get a pack of classic Chaos Warriors from GW directly.

I don't know if that is still possible.

The older metal sculpts had so much more character.

I still keep my eyes open for any of those, especially the Nurgle ones.

Don't think you can get that one anymore. This guy was from the similar pack of sorcerers that they did.

I'll keep an eye on local online auctions, but it's slim pickings. I grabbed a couple of classic Chaos warriors at the RCon melt table when I went which is nice, but not exactly a reliable source.

• Like 1

rOFYDyh.jpg

All done! Dropped him off at the Warhammer shop and the store manager thought I should consider doing commissions, which was nice of him.

The visit ended up with me getting involved in a paint-off with one of the other customers, so now to figure out what five-man unit I'm going to do for that...

• Like 6