60073_g_1.jpg

Next up in my painting journey for my current Pathfinder game.  The Stag Lord, a.k.a. the first Big Bad that the party will encounter (likely at the next session, so I may need to speed up the painting process near the end to get him done).  This is also proving to be my first "Moby Dick" mini, or perhaps "Murphy's Law" if you prefer.  When I first opened him up, I learned that he was missing his bow arm.  While it's certainly plausible he'll lose that arm when he encounters the PCs, it seemed a bit premature to me.  :)  Fortunately, Reaper Customer Service is awesome and even though it was months after I had placed the order, they still replaced the entire mini for free, which is doubly awesome since as a newbie painter I don't have a lot of random extra bits lying about for basing materials, conversions, etc., so getting a full package was pretty sweet (even though I'd have been thrilled with just the one missing piece).

Next thing I noticed as I assembled this guy was that he required a lot of gap filling.  The helm was a rather loose fit and the cloak didn't really line up in back either.  Ironically, this actually didn't bother me much since i saw it as a chance to practice my gap filling which I have not had to do too much of to date.  So with that out of the way, I set about priming and getting the base coat on the skin done.

58d56bb1dc242_StagLord.thumb.jpg.4735d637ecdeda0c6f441d6656043e05.jpg

Can't really see it here, but I then noticed a weird issue on the skin.  For some reason, the paint on his skin began to crack.  This is puzzling to me as I am not sure what could be causing it.  I had used the same bottle of paint very recently (like less than a week ago) with no problems.  Any thoughts on what could have caused it?  I've gone over it with another coat and will see how it holds up, but hopefully he won't need a Simple Green Bath.  That said, I'm open to suggestions here.  

The initial plan from here is to go with kind of a dirty bone look on the helm, gray for the cloak, and Coal Black for the armor pieces.  Haven't quite decided what to do with the leggings yet, but I'm thinking possibly a darker brown, but I am very much open to suggestions as I freely acknowledge I only have a basic grasp (if that) of color theory.  

Anyway, thanks for looking and please feel free to provide C&C as I go.  I am always looking for pointers, tips, etc. as I continue to slowly improve to a somewhat passable state.  :)  Ultimately I will be aiming for Table Top quality which I don't think I will have too much trouble achieving (well my version of TT anyway).  

• Like 13
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Next up in my painting journey for my current Pathfinder game.  The Stag Lord, a.k.a. the first Big Bad that the party will encounter (likely at the next session, so I may need to speed up the paintin

Slow and steady but some more progress made!  Glazed his skin with the base color to try to smooth the transitions somewhat, then went to work on the cloak.  Lower portion was based in Intense Brown t

Some progress!  Haven't really cracked (no pun intended) the cracking paint issue, but subsequent layers made it less noticeable.  I did notice that some of my paints in my palette were kind of cracki

Posted Images

Nice, he's an awesome mini!

As for the cracking, I think perhaps the primer wasn't completely dry before you put the basecoat on? Someone might come along and contradict me though.

I think brown sounds just fine for his leggings, as it's not really a feature that you want to demand a lot of attention.

• Like 2

Hrmmm, primer should have been plenty dry.  It had sat for close to a week before I put the base coat down.  I usually try to let my minis sit at least three days after priming them.  

Perhaps I didn't get the mini washed as well as I thought?  So maybe the primer wasn't as set as much as it should be?  Will check on the skin this week and see how it goes.  As I said, it was interesting at any rate.  :P

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Maybe an environmental factor then? Hmmm someone will surely come along with The Answer™ and then we'll both have learned something! ^_^

Learning is good!  :)  

• Like 1

What kind of primer? I've had black primer crack on me before but that was on a plastic model vs a mini. (pretty sure that was due to what was on the plastic piece vs the actual paint. Also Reaper only uses like talcum powder to seperate the mini from the mold, unless they've changed that. I took the tour during ReaperCon but that was many years ago. ::):

How heavy was your priming? Sometimes that will do. Too much at one time will cause the paint to crack as it dries.

As far as inspiration there is always the original artwork:

Stag_Lord.jpg

Also note his face is a mask/paint

Stag%252520Lord.PNG

• Like 2

Used Vallejo brush on primer.  Its possible that it was over primed (it does tend to shrink a lot as it dries) and as a result I often find myself going over parts where the primer has pulled away from the metal, leaving it exposed a bit.  

Aye, did note the face mask under the helm, which frankly is a godsend since it will be a beast to try to get in there with a brush as is (translation, probably should have painted the face prior to gluing the helm on).  I keep telling myself to do things like that and then keep putting it off.  :)  The good news is that it will be really hard to see what is in there anyway.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, haldir said:

Ok just did a google in regards to Vallejo. I came across this on the CMoN forums. Thread Starter is having issues with V primer thou on Cork.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?53341

Thanks for the link.  I am wondering if maybe I just had too thin of a coat of primer.  It is getting near the bottom of the bottle too, so that may have played a role (not shaking enough, etc.).  At any rate, I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes!

• Like 2

Some progress!  Haven't really cracked (no pun intended) the cracking paint issue, but subsequent layers made it less noticeable.  I did notice that some of my paints in my palette were kind of cracking as they dried too, so wondering if cleaning out the palette better will help.  Regardless, I'm going to try moving on to the next part after this to see if its an issue with that particular paint, or if its the primer (if its the primer, I should run into similar problems elsewhere on the mini.

58d6ddeff038f_StagLordskin.thumb.jpg.4dd16f657e820fa8c86252c8ca3d5a42.jpg

So, mostly done with the skin for now.  My base coat was Oiled Leather btw.  I hit it with a wash of Agrax Earthshade and then some touch shading with P3 Bloodstone.  Followed that up with some dry brushing of P3 Khardic Flesh and P3 Midlund Flesh, then went over that with a more traditional highlight of each (i.e. not dry brushed).  One interesting side note here is that in the adventure, the Stag Lord is described as having heavily scarred skin from acid burns and the like.  I had no earthly idea how to do that, but the cracking plus the dry brushing combined to give it kind of a scarred effect (though that lessened some with the follow up highlights).  I think I will probably try to go back over with a glaze of Oiled Leather to smooth out the transitions some, then move onto the cloak, the inside of which is the next hardest to reach spot.

As always, any advice, critiques, comments are heartily welcomed!

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Cool!!!

It's promising so far!

Thanks!  /Fingers crossed.  I do really like the sculpt and its giving me a lot of good things to practice.  Hoping to get some good work on the cloak today and then see where it goes from there.  Of course, that depends on how long all the chores take.  :(

• Like 1

Slow and steady but some more progress made!  Glazed his skin with the base color to try to smooth the transitions somewhat, then went to work on the cloak.  Lower portion was based in Intense Brown then given a dark wash and then drybrushed with Woodland Brown and Tanned Shadow.  Not sure if I should go another round of a lighter dry brush or not.  Kind of liking it at the moment, but it could maybe use a bit more pop.

Top of the cloak was based in P3 Trollblood Highlight, given a wash of Bastion Grey and then dry brushed with P3 Frostbite followed by Weathered Stone.  The Frostbite was a bit of a mistake as it was a bit too blue (wasn't paying close enough attention) but I think the Weathered Stone worked well with it. 

stagfront.thumb.jpg.bb1a97d78dfbe97b3512d92567cf8f3c.jpg

stagback.thumb.jpg.d14b56a8fd171fddf073f04e91c0b3dc.jpg

Next up will be the leggings and armor and assorted accessories attached thereto.  Not sure if I'll get any more done tonight and tomorrow is probably a no-go, but in the interim, please feel free to let me know what you think.  I'm always looking for new ideas, techniques and just straight up feedback!

• Like 8

All I can say is, it looks great so far!

You might want to go even higher with the highlights on the fur, just a few raised areas where you could apply a linnen white..makes it stand out more.

Don't overdo it though!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

All I can say is, it looks great so far!

You might want to go even higher with the highlights on the fur, just a few raised areas where you could apply a linnen white..makes it stand out more.

Don't overdo it though!

On both the brown and grey parts, or just the grey?  I do like the idea as I will confess I am never quite sure just how far to go -- especially when dry brushing.  Though I think for the last bit of highlights I will try to apply them more normally/tactically.

• Like 1