60073 Stag Lord

Gargs

2 minutes ago, Gargs said:

On both the brown and grey parts, or just the grey?  I do like the idea as I will confess I am never quite sure just how far to go -- especially when dry brushing.  Though I think for the last bit of highlights I will try to apply them more normally/tactically.

White on the grey.

For the brown fur you could mix white with the brown you used for the latest highlight.

Again, don't overdo it, but it will enhance the fur.

I painted a Dire Bear years ago, undercoated black, kept highlighting with browns and mixed the final highlight with white.

Look at the last two pics for this.

Ignore the wolf..that one wasn't really good.

• Like 2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!  Thanks for the tip, will definitely try it.  Your bear is excellent as well and if I recall correctly, I actually looked at that thread when I was painting my own Dire Bear.  :P

I will give each part at least one more highlight, going easy and then see how it goes.  Trial and error are definitely things I am willing to work with at the moment as I continue to learn.  Probably won't be until tomorrow as tonight is likely a TV night for Mrs. Gargs and I, but I will post an update when I get the next stage done.

• Like 1

Didn't get as much done last night as I hoped as I got sidetracked by doing some basing on a couple of other figs, but still some progress.

StaggyFront.thumb.jpg.520b82eb70e32a0436c353e1a7a179a2.jpg

Staggyback.thumb.jpg.7842ed235fda486328ab78bd559762e0.jpg

Did another round of highlights on the cloak and fur.  Pretty happy with the brown portion of the cloak.  I added rounds of Tanned Skin and Tanned Highlight.  Thinking it looks pretty good now (and much better than before, Thanks Xherman!).  The grey portion I went with a round of Bones Bleached Linen and I'm not sure that it was different enough from the last layer (Weathered Stone).  May go back over it with a true white (Pure White in all likelihood).  

As for the green, I spent quite a bit of time looking at the model trying to figure out what that "armor" was when I finally realized, after looking at the official art from the adventure, that it was leaves.  :P  So I got the base coat in with Grass Green and stopped for the night so that I could take a longer look at some pictures of leaves to try to get an idea for shades/highlights/additional colors.  Since the individual leaves are so small and relatively hidden as is, I may just worry about adding some very thin layers of additional colors rather than trying to do a true highlight on most of them (since most won't be catching the light anyway).  I'm thinking glazing layers of color on may be the way to go (so as not to lose the underlying green), but any insight would be much appreciated.  This is definitely going a step above anything I've tried before which is both exciting and nerve wracking at the same time.  :P

As always, thanks for looking and for any advice that may be forthcoming!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Awesome!

For the grey..when i look at it now..

Apply a little black wash...a little. Then when dry apply the pure white highlights but only here and there.

Cool, will give that a try!  Hopefully I won't make too much of a mess of it, but if I do, oh well, that's what fixing mistakes is for.  :P

• Like 1

Just now, Gargs said:

Cool, will give that a try!  Hopefully I won't make too much of a mess of it, but if I do, oh well, that's what fixing mistakes is for.  :P

Just apply a little wash, and let it dry...

The white only on some ends of the fur here and there.

Together with the grey and the contrast the black wash will create it will stand out more.

If not...please don't hurt the innocent Wolf!

1 minute ago, Xherman1964 said:

If not...please don't hurt the innocent Wolf!

No worries there.  I make it a habit not to hurt those who try to help me after I fail to fully follow their instructions!  :)  I only mentioned making a mess of it because I know that one of my biggest problem areas right now is getting too much paint on the brush.  Fortunately, I do have a black wash that comes out pretty thin and so, should, hopefully, help with that.  :)  

• Like 1

Progress continues!

Touched up the grey part on the cloak, looks a bit better on the table than in the camera, but pretty happy with it now.  Might do another round of a light wash and white highlight time permitting.  

Gave the leaves a wash of Agrax Earthshade followed by some dry brushing of HD Meadow Green.  Got to say, shading/highlighting the leaves is a real challenge.  They are so freakin small and they are hard to get to.  I think the leaves may need another touch up with the highlight but I'm a bit afraid of hitting it too hard and just ending up with the entire part "highlighted".  

Got the leg armor and boots mostly done as well.  Based them in P3 Battlefield Brown, shaded with P3 Umbral Umber and then highlights with P3 Gun Corps Brown and then another layer with a tiny bit of yellowish tan added to it.  May have overdone the highlights on those a bit.  One thing I've noticed is that my blending of shades so far is leaps and bounds ahead of my highlights blending for whatever reason.  My main guess is that my shades are probably closer to the base color than the highlights are so they just naturally blend better.

Finally I got the sword done by painting the scabbard, handle and hilt.  Scabbard and handle in Ruddy Leather, hilt with P3 Pig Iron.

StagFront.thumb.jpg.abbfd665bc77c4c035da32feaa7f4678.jpg

StagBack.thumb.jpg.554f2b280fd7f1edf6436da340cf0015.jpg

StagLeft.thumb.jpg.12c29c304307bb44f42799ea832aea23.jpg

58de7826eab87_StagRight(1).thumb.jpg.1fd9f43ffbeefbc5f8e02fea0d8b7df8.jpg

I now have most of the tiny bits done, so hopefully will go a little bit quicker here on out.  On the plus side, I haven't had any recurrence of the cracking that I encountered when doing his skin, so still not really sure what happened there, but at least its not come back.  This weekend is all set to be full of painting . . . the bathroom, so we'll see how much I get done, but I'm on a bit of a time crunch now as game day is next Saturday, so at least I have motivation going for me.

As always, thanks for looking and for any comments/advice/critiques.

Cheers,

Gargs

• Like 6

Got in some painting time last night.  Mostly done with everything but the head and the bow now.  Still need to add some detail to the bracers.  Going to do a metallic on the studs on the bracers.  Haven't decided yet whether to do a steel or a brass color, but will see.  Some of the shades/highlights are still a bit hard to pick up, so might add another layer here and there to try to pick them up a bit more, but all in all, I think he's coming together . . . at least for my current skill level anyway.  :)  The helm will take a while as I think I'll have to do a lot of really thin layers to build up the aged/yellow-brownish colors I want (especially since I don't think I have directly matching paint colors) but it should be fun working on layering up the colors.

StagFront.thumb.jpg.34ec1106c24863001a0dceb23362b9bc.jpgSTAGLeft.thumb.jpg.563421b2004d8714ee2ab604a1b7cc91.jpgStagRight.thumb.jpg.d01085cb2323d0456bb99ecda0baa2f2.jpg

As always, thanks for taking a look!

• Like 6

On the home stretch now!

Stagfront.thumb.jpg.30e662cf094a728037d3226ae0b53199.jpg

58e26f2a9a9e0_StagLeft(1).thumb.jpg.83d4b12a33b6ddf7efe63d2c238cc663.jpg

Stagback.thumb.jpg.82051628aa59d45ec5adef17d172ee1d.jpg

Pretty much down to just the helm/antlers.  Trying to give it an aged look to both of them and so far just have the initial base coat on them.  Used Aged bone for the majority of the helm and Blond Highlight for the antlers.  The antlers I'm thinking of layering up to yellows and browns which is why I went with the Blond Highlight as the base.  For the rest of the helm, probably more of a natural aged bone look but probably want to throw some browns/yellows in too.  

I'm toying with the idea of filling the eye sockets on the helm with a bright green (P3 Necrotic Green) to help reflect that the helm is magical (and improves perception) but the problem is that his right eye socket is filled with a bunch of random detritus that I didn't really notice until it was too late, so not sure how well that will look.  Was planning on having that bright green be a theme throughout the campaign, but not sure I can get it to work here.  Something to ponder at the very least.

As always, thanks for looking and for any comments/suggestions!

• Like 6