Question about P3 and techniques

Just a couple quick questions.

First, how do you guys feel about the P3 paint?  Seems like it is decently priced on ebay, so I was wandering if its worth the money at all?

Second, whats the difference between dry brushing and over brushing?  Is there a difference?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like P3 paint. I only have 6 of their colors but a couple of them I use on most of my minis. I transfer the ones I use often into dropper bottles. They're definitely worth trying out. One thing I've noticed about them is that they don't separate quite as much as many other paint lines.

Overbrushing means drybrushing without wiping off all the paint.

I think painters do this naturally, when they want to apply paint only to the raised surfaces of a miniature.

I heard P3 paint was best used only for the faction models of the paint line, but good to hear it's more versatile than that!

P3 makes some niiiice metallic paints. I do love their Blighted Gold..

I'm kind of ambivalent about the rest, because they come up shiny, and I've learned to appreciate a matte finish when painting (it doesn't obscure details as much, imo). But some of the colours are good anyway. So .. tossup.

I use quite a few P3 paints, though not exclusively. They don't have the widest variety of colours. I believe that they use liquid pigments, I find that they're noticeably thinner than other brands. I find them very useful for basecoating Bones minis.

My P3 paints are my favorite out of all of my paints. They do really well for two brush blending, they mix well, you can water them down to make washes and they are still vibrant. I have only had trouble with one color being "chalky". There are a few colors that I find so versatile! Coal Black is actually a bluish black color. It is nice for doing shadows as well as being the beginning highlight to black hair. I have also used them to mix with other brands and they do well. They do seem to be a bit thinner which means I do not have to dilute as much when I paint. Mine are still in the pots and I use an old brush to dab out a little onto my pallet. The lids seal well and I haven't had any dry out on me.

• Like 2

I still have about 8 pots of P3, still use them.

I like them, but I hate the pots with those lids...

Better is to use a dropper bottle and transfer the stuff.

They are pretty decent paints.

Their metallics are quite good. although Scale 75 has the best metallics IMHO.

For that price, definitely worth it if they are in good condition.

• Like 1