Sign in to follow this  
Rahz

Can't see the forest for the trees...

So my gaming group is trying to relaunch some 40K interest I've been tasked with providing some greenery to the table.  I've enlisted the help of my 8 year old as he's very keen to start playing himself and we've raided the local Ikea and a pet store and set to work.  

Thus far, we broken our purchases down and everything has been washed.  I was going to paint up a bunch of them using some different colours to represent alien plant-life but my son doesn't like the idea so at least the initial ones will be "normal" looking.  I still plan on hitting them with a little airbrushed green/yellow/brown to add some pop.  

Tonight will be some prototyping of combinations and I'll probably cut out some random shapes of MDF to use as bases.  I was going to use some of my base boss loot but...  <_<

IMG_6151.JPG.a2a41ca1458228088c7da9688dcf7afd.JPGIMG_6150.JPG.ffc891671b8280eb45ad369536f3d07e.JPGIMG_6149.JPG.1c7267fe4fc040605601f5845796576f.JPGIMG_6152.JPG.0f1f74a57202da40b027ff513c2d9f2a.JPG

Thanks for looking.  

• Like 19

I'm currently using such plants too.

A quick note: you will have to wash them before painting them with some kind of degreasing dishwashing soap..

In the Netherlands we use DASTY. after washing rinse with water, let dry.

Now you can paint them..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

I'm currently using such plants too.

A quick note: you will have to wash them before painting them with some kind of degreasing dishwashing soap..

In the Netherlands we use DASTY. after washing rinse with water, let dry.

Now you can paint them..

Thanks!  They have been washed.  They got a good long soak in diluted Simple Green and then a good rinse in warm water.  

• Like 3

I found these plastic plants to be a good source of basing material, especially when you cut off the smaller parts and combine different sorts to make new plants..

Looking forward to see the result!

33 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Do you paint these with a brush or spray them?

I plan on using an airbrush unless my son decides he wants in on the action, in which case I'll likely just stick to some washes applied by brush to help add some definition.  The plastic is very soft so painting by brush will likely be a challenge for my son who's still pretty heavy handed when painting.  

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 4

I've been experimenting a little bit with using aquarium plants , too. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Like 1

I really like those corkscrew bits as alien trees. 

This should be an interesting project.  Maybe hit them with some matte or satin spray and see if that doesn't make them look less plasticy.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 3

A little example

This weekend I finished a mini, i used plastic plants for the base.

Clipped the tops off, glues some together to create a flower.

I washed these first, then I painted them with a brush.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73885-iguana-warrior-grenadier-by-xherman1964/

• Like 3

Cool stuff Xherman1964!

My co-tree-builder (son) has decided that he should start having anxiety/panic attacks so the project has stalled out a little. ::(:

I have mocked up a couple styles (pics to come tonight).  Will try painting some over the weekend with the airbrush since he doesn't have the focus for this right now.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rahz said:

Cool stuff Xherman1964!

My co-tree-builder (son) has decided that he should start having anxiety/panic attacks so the project has stalled out a little. ::(:

I have mocked up a couple styles (pics to come tonight).  Will try painting some over the weekend with the airbrush since he doesn't have the focus for this right now.  

Thx,

I hope your son will be able to overcome this.

It can be really difficult to deal with, I have a niece ( 15 yrs old) who gets anxiety attacks.

She is really bothered by it.

I hope your boy will find a way to deal with it.

As for the plants, I've been looking at several youtubers who build terrain with these.

It's a good source of materials.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2017 at 10:59 AM, Rahz said:

Cool stuff Xherman1964!

Sympathies on the panic attacks. My eldest is dealing with the same sort of issue. ::(:

I'll be very curious to see what you end up making once you're able to get back to this project... Looks like a lot of fun ideas.

• Like 1

@canuckotter @Xherman1964 Thank you for your kind words. It's tough but we're getting him through it.  

Here are a couple of the first mock-ups.  They're not painted but I think the one with the "vines" coming out from the middle will be the chosen solution for these ones.  I can't reshape the corkscrew ones (tried bending, heat...) so I may have to add some green stuff/wire ones here and there to add some variety.  As these are meant to be used in Warhammer (40k and AoS), I'm worried that we'll be catching our arms on the vines and knocking them over but they look better with the vines than without.  I put some chopped up pieces of the corkscrew bits on the one base as roots but I think I may replace those with green stuff.  Also looking at picking up some of the neat forest ground cover options from Silflor to add some more life to the bases. 

Next batch will have some paint applied by airbrush.  Leaning towards a darker green and adding some red or purple to the ends of the vines. 

Working on a combination of 2 of the other types pictured above for a more "normal" looking tree/plant. 

IMG_6165.thumb.JPG.98a769d1ee523cfcd6c58ebf0b57540d.JPG

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 10

I like these and have a lot of trees based pretty much the same way.

I think that the corkscrew ones would look good as well.

Obviously, it is your stuff and you have final say over all of it but I hope you gave them a chance at the very least.

• Like 1