Sign in to follow this  
MissMelons

Mrs. M picks up a brush...and other tools.

So the eyes were bugging me that he was looking up so I repainted them and had to touch up the OSL a bit more. On one eye I touched the OSL up to a white highlight to try to brighten it a bit. I think it worked better than just doing the yellow on the other eye.

With the white:

0722172150a.thumb.jpg.5eb363cbd7f72540b87aa49439772814.jpg

Without the white.0722172150.thumb.jpg.57652b24d6a06694a2cb234878b8ef38.jpg

• Like 22

Ok... so I had been thinking about entering a dragon for reaper con... now I do t think I will.

:backs away, feeling not worthy!: (kidding! If I finish a dragon I'll bring the dragon. I just know mine won't win anything.)

She looks really good as a magma dragon.  I really like what you're doing with her.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok... so I had been thinking about entering a dragon for reaper con... now I do t think I will.

:backs away, feeling not worthy!: (kidding! If I finish a dragon I'll bring the dragon. I just know mine won't win anything.)

She looks really good as a magma dragon.  I really like what you're doing with her.

Noooooo, definitely enter your dragon! I likely won't get anything beyond a bronze for this guy this year in open. I haven't sculpted enough to even classify as open. Just the changes to the base, chest and jaw.  Hes supposed to have an armored spine, horns and plates on his wings and body but my sculpting is suuuuuuppppeeerrrr bad. (Thus im taking a sculpting class this year) 

I'm glad that you like the lava effects! Theyre the biggest part of my "oh god, it doesnt look like real lava, but that's okay as its painted like from the game o_o" then there's "omg nobody is going to know who this is."

Anxiety is off the charts.

• Like 4

Really, really wonderful work going into this. Don't doubt yourself so much - it's looking quite fantastic. I'm glad you changed the direction of the eyes though - he looked a little bit like he was rolling his eyes which was amusing, but probably not the look you were going for. ::P:

If you're concerned about people not knowing who he is, then remember that you can include info with your entry to show exactly that.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Really, really wonderful work going into this. Don't doubt yourself so much - it's looking quite fantastic. I'm glad you changed the direction of the eyes though - he looked a little bit like he was rolling his eyes which was amusing, but probably not the look you were going for. ::P:

If you're concerned about people not knowing who he is, then remember that you can include info with your entry to show exactly that.

Oooooo I totally can do that! I forgot about that being an option for open! Thanks for the reminder! 

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I will eat my hat if you only get a bronze.

I may be able to pull a silver if I can actually sculpt at least half of the things I want to sculpt for him.

New work today! Painted his scales on his head and tried something different. The blue wasn't working out for me so I went back to my roots and dire love for Carnival Purple. 

And I loooooooooooooovvvvveeeeeeee it. I also poured the water effects for the mouth. Ill fix the pouring effects a little later as this is just the first layer.

0723171824.thumb.jpg.7ca617cc4d8249a7d7d7366d30296d68.jpg0723171825.thumb.jpg.0b29836f2f19f595a0fe9e86eaf29056.jpg0723171824a.thumb.jpg.f30d6101ba5b96bad03159c76c1ca24a.jpg

I just need to paint the jaw to reflect metal better. I gave a base coat so I can tell where to place my water effects.

Fortunately with the success of the scales. I may replicate this to the other scales. It makes it easier to do the OSL and can still hace the scales read as black.

When I used blue it made the scales look really cold and I couldnt easily blend the red with the blue to black. @[email protected] this works I think though.

• Like 18

Based on your previous demonstrated ability, I still think you'll get more than a silver.

Loving the blue as the highlights, btw. 

• Like 3

On 7/23/2017 at 9:41 AM, Thes Hunter said:

I will eat my hat if you only get a bronze.

See, now I'm torn.

On one hand, I really want to see MM kick some serious butt with this piece. (And I'm sure you will, BTW:winkthumbs:)

On the other hand, you eating a hat...:lol:

I think that purple looks awesome, MissMelons!

• Like 5

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm so in love with going this route with this color. I swear. Carnival Purple is the most universal color.  Ive started painting the neck to play with the color more and I just love it more and more. 

0724171747.thumb.jpg.cff2b70f85f3db1b037db1c5d4a4fdf7.jpg0724171747a.thumb.jpg.2d8416ea47f09e96a3598783c7a48331.jpg

• Like 14

16 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

I think I lack the words to express how awesome this is!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble.

"Wow" is far too general, but the only thing I'm coming up with.

• Like 1

Hahhhhhh, thanks! So far my favorite, thlugh tedious part is paintinf these scales. I'm making great progress and started blending the other wing.   And because I'm a massive dope. I wasn't keeping a painting journal and am not sure which colors i used. I know which were involved though.

I decided to use true metalics for the metal parts of him so I get to fail at TMM now. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

OSL was my mountain, now its OSL on top of TMM. 

*Encore: "yayyyyyyyyyyyy"

0725172017a.thumb.jpg.0026e438d14265bd40294c5dca668b3d.jpg

Awwwww yeah. I'm liking this from the side. I can't wait to see him fully painted this way.

0725172017.thumb.jpg.957d1b27b81cf86e9e1bdfd217988dd3.jpg

The other side. I havent painted the horns or nose yet, as I still have to paint the jaw and water effects in his mouth. I'm giving it an extra day to cure so I dont ruin it again.

0725171539.thumb.jpg.9ad017286ea97f6f8fa6b4dce2dbc919.jpg

One of these wings is not like the other. Mrs.M forgot what shades she used. @[email protected]  the one on the right is the finished one buuuuuut I can't lie that the one on the left doesn't look so bad either. 

• Like 13