I currently have a mini that's 75% done, with wires from the armature sticking into some cork. So I'm wondering if the best bet is to wait until it's finished, then glue it to a base (then maybe sculpt some base props if I feel like it), or pull the mini with wires out, curl the wires around, and use the wires as an armature for a base, which would be sturdier. Or maybe pull it a little bit out and put some putty underneath, on top of the cork, and make a base that way? 

What does everyone else do? I'm pretty sure I just want a 1" round base. 

Edited by Živa
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to forget that you've got to take the sculpt out of the cork at some point! If it's not too delicate, I would take a craft blade and gently tease underneath the feet to break the bond. It'll probably pull out okay. If it won't pop out, then break up the cork to free it.

It'll stick to a base no problem. I'd glue the feet wih superglue.

Edited by Speak_Centurion
  • Like 1

I finish my minis, then pull out the wires and curl them into the base shape and sculpt the base over that.  If the mini will be cast, it is necessary for the base to have metal support inside it so it doesn't warp during vulcanization.

• Like 3