• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...well, okay, maybe you had to be there. But they were so SURE it was going to be something they could eat... and then they all looked at me quizzically. They didn't understand why I thought the Ninja's remark was so funny. Would YOU eat an ugly warty thing like that?

They were not averse to seeing if it had any treasure, though.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 11

Ah, the innocence of youth...

I knew many an adventurer back in the day that carried a troll head stuffed in their bag of holding in case they ever ran out of rations...

(And occasionally when they needed a timed distraction, like say, a really elfed-off troll kicking open a supposedly-empty closet door twelve hours after you snuck in and tossed his severed head in the closet.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Ah, the innocence of youth...

I knew many an adventurer back in the day that carried a troll head stuffed in their bag of holding in case they ever ran out of rations...

(And occasionally when they needed a timed distraction, like say, a really elfed-off troll kicking open a supposedly-empty closet door twelve hours after you snuck in and tossed his severed head in the closet.)

How'd he keep the head from growing into a whole new troll, in the bag?

Funny part: As the timer went off, denoting "time to clean up, get your backpacks, and get ready to go home," the party had JUST then slain the troll. And only 22 points of damage were fire damage. They know the troll regenerated damage... but they think he's dead now.

I'm curious to see how this mob of third, fourth, and fifth graders reacts when that troll gets back up, next week...

• Like 5

Well, the troll-in-the-bag thing requires you to "trim" it on a regular basis, unless you put it inside something that doesn't have enough space for the troll to grow back at all and is too strong for the regrowing troll to be able to break out of, such as an iron box or something.

Of course, like many things, getting the troll back in the box after it's out is the fun part...

Re: the Jason Voorhees troll...

I'm sure they probably know enough about horror movies to be seriously bugged out about it for a bit. And will more than likely exert a great deal of overkill the second time to ensure it's not just nearly dead but really most sincerely dead. There is, however, a chance that somebody's going to consider it unfair that they had to "kill" it twice. Make sure you mention that they can see its flesh regenerating before their eyes except for the extra-crispy bits, so they know they need to bring the barbecue harder this time.

I remember the looks on one group's faces when they spotted a bright red troll in the lair of a red dragon and immediately set to burninating it to death, which was much harder than they thought it would be for some reason - a fact about which they complained loudly.... And then were completely stunned and totally incensed when it showed up again hours later.

A red troll in a fiery environment, shrugging off fire damage, and it never once occurred to them during the first fight that something might be just a little bit different about it?...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

Postscript:

The troll did indeed get up again the following week, and it took them awhile (and some casualties) to figure out that trolls can't regenerate fire damage, and to burn the body.

After that, the last several games of the school year resulted in the group defeating an enemy, hurriedly searching for treasure, and then setting it afire. This actually led to a minor argument, when the Cavalier wanted to pile up and torch a bunch of slain orcs, despite the fact that orcs had never shown any ability like regeneration in the past.

Just in case. Once bitten, twice shy...

• Like 3