So not trying to get off of the Reaper Paints joy train, because they are the paints I know and love and think I'll be working with forever, but my local shop just started stocking P3, and I'm wondering if anybody has any opinion on it? Good/bad, beautiful/ugly? I'm just wondering when I run out of white for example and didn't plan ahead enough to pre-order another batch of new Reaper stuff on line?

So, what do you all think?

• Like 1

Love them for the colors, the opacity, and their thickness, especially for more table top gaming minis. They will need to be thinned more for layering. 

They appear to adhere as well as Reaper on my bones.

There metals can be hit or miss. I had to buy 3 bottles of Brass Balls before I got a bottle that wasn't lumpy. 

BTW, here's a photo of my paint rack. You'll notice I use a mix of paints.

I find I tend to grab the P3 because 1) it's the closest to the color I want. They tend to be more saturated than the reaper paints. 2) I'm painting table top, so the opacity/thickness/dipping right into the pot are pluses in this circumstance.

Spoiler

IMG_2931.thumb.JPG.c06f782053c47749193471ac59d9d28b.JPG

(Note the wet palette is ok. It's fine if you don't want to go buy a sponge and a piece of tupperware yourself. I found it worked no better than my sponges in tupperware.)

• Like 5

I have a dozen of P3, they are decent paints, although I hate the lids.

Transferring to dropper bottles might be a good idea.

I prefer Reaper and Scale75, but P3 has some very nice colours and they have good coverage.

For metals I recommend Scale 75.

P3 Pig Iron is a nice colour though!

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 3

For me right now I'm not worried about metals because I've decided to go the NMM route.  Mostly the inquiry is because there's nowhere here in Omaha that sells Reaper paints. I'd much rather buy the paints that I'm familiar with and enjoy, but in case of emergency, like I run out of a white or black, I can just go to my local game shop and grab something off the shelf without resorting to Games Workshop paints, which are carried (and I'm guessing Used) by everybody everywhere in town. If I only need one, I can special order it from the game shop, but it depends on the color if their distributor has it. I just special ordered Palomino Gold, which they said should be easy to get, but Dark Elf Skin they had to source from a different distributor, for which reason it might take a few weeks.

40 minutes ago, 72moonglum said:

That is one of the things I do like a lot about Reaper paints even though my bottles are about 98% plugged up always.  

I always have a few unbend paperclips around to take care of that.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Xherman1964 said:

I always have a few unbend paperclips around to take care of that.

Same.  The clogging is annoying but the droppers make it a lot easier to mix/thin.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

For me right now I'm not worried about metals because I've decided to go the NMM route.  Mostly the inquiry is because there's nowhere here in Omaha that sells Reaper paints. I'd much rather buy the paints that I'm familiar with and enjoy, but in case of emergency, like I run out of a white or black, I can just go to my local game shop and grab something off the shelf without resorting to Games Workshop paints, which are carried (and I'm guessing Used) by everybody everywhere in town. If I only need one, I can special order it from the game shop, but it depends on the color if their distributor has it. I just special ordered Palomino Gold, which they said should be easy to get, but Dark Elf Skin they had to source from a different distributor, for which reason it might take a few weeks.

How much paint do you think you go through in a month?

Even the most used paints lasts a long time...

And even if they don't last very long, there's nothing wrong in ordering a few spares for the most used colours.

(And these daya with Reaper giving out minis when you order for more than $40, who doesn't want an excuse for a new order every month?)

Borrow (or buy) a digital jewellers scale and weigh the bottles now and then, and you'll be surprised to see how little you're actually using.

In other words, buy the paints you want to use, not just out of convenience.

• Like 5

This is true, and I'm glad that Reaper offers that free shipping at $40.00 USD, which isn't that much. Sadly the monthly figures were a curse and a boon.  For example I know I should have put in an order last month, when they were giving away Tara the Silent, which I liked quite a lot and in theory might paint some day, but now with the little Skeleton Jester in April, cute mini, but I know I'd never paint him, so now I find myself wanting to hold off until May to find out which mini is the May centerfold model.  That and I do just need to control my spending, I could easy let myself go hog wild and order hundreds of dollars of stuff, so try to stay away from web site purchases, pretty sure I could just justify just about anything I buy to myself, but maybe not so easily to my beautiful little wife.

• Like 3

I don't have a lot of P3 paints but a couple of the ones I have are among my most used colors. P3 seems cover exceptionally well. I recommend getting a few and trying them out for yourself. Nobody will know how much you might like like them better than you.

I also transfer the non-metallic P3 paints into dropper bottles. It isn't at all necessary to put them in droppers as they work just fine in the pots. If you ever decide to, Amazon has a 50 pack of 15ml dropper bottles for just under $10. They're also useful for keeping your paint thinners, even if it's just a dropper bottle of water. Reaper also sells empty dropper bottles and I use them as well.

• Like 1

I love my P3 paints. I just dab out a little onto my palette so the pots don't bother me. They seal well and I haven't had any dry out. They are really nice for two brush blending and they thin nicely for glazes.

I'm one of the weird people who don't like dropper bottles all that much. I do like the Reaper paints that I have and also Vallejo. I am only able to buy Reaper in person twice a year at Cancon since no LGS carries Reaper. I have fun choosing colors though when Cancon is on!

Anyway, the P3 has some really nice colors and I have had very little issue with chalkiness. I had one pot that was lumpy when I got it home and opened it but the store exchanged it out for me.

• Like 1

I've only used MSP (and its HD line) and P3. I love the p3 colors, it's just a shame they name and make them solely for their minis (I use color names and the MSP triads to help with my color blindness) The liquid pigments they use are great for mixing and diluting though, but I too wish they had dropper bottles. Moving them to and mixing them is so much easier with a dropper then trying to hassle with pipettes. I say try them out, I personally use their flesh tones quite a bit and I absolutely love Skorne red and Beaten purple. Also, please note i've only used the 2 brands and like maybe 1 or 2 colors from vallejo and not incredibly experienced. But my local game store owner paints solely with p3 and is who got me to try them, so they do come with at least that much anecdotal encouragement.

• Like 1