Starting this one up as it now has my attention due to a contest on bookfarce by the 'eavier metal facebook group. This is Distracted by Kingdom Death, she's a 54mm 1st run collector's edition resin miniature that I couldn't pass up a while back when she was released for a very limited time. 

This figure is completely nude so she is definitely NSFW and I'll make sure to link any pics that would violate forum rules.

Let's start off with the pic I can show!

59a6030f03dfc_Distracted2.thumb.jpg.e4962135b76e47637cde0452ae370274.jpg

The NSFW pics that show the body parts -

Front

Side

Side

As I go along, I would like very honest and forthright comments and critiques to push me as she will be a contest entry and I may bring her to ReaperCon as well!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 18
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting this one up as it now has my attention due to a contest on bookfarce by the 'eavier metal facebook group. This is Distracted by Kingdom Death, she's a 54mm 1st run collector's edition resin m

Very good advice, thanks Erin! I'll definitely apply it with this one.   So I've got the idea and inspiration and have decided to go with the floating books idea, so I've affixed the books i

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

My distracted remains safely in her box. 

Given it is for a contest, I look forward to the novel you will fill the pages with.  ::D:  Seriously though, you have some areas for freehand.

Yeah, going to do some stuff in the book and I'm thinking of leaving the back off the seat to make it a stool and allow for some more freehand on her back. 

Going to experiment with sheer stockings and tats for her. 

• Like 3

I like her because she doesn't have as much of the overly exaggerated features. It's like she was bathing or sleeping and thought of something and had to look it up in her books RIGHT NOW! No time to get dressed, need to find it before the thought fades away. And you are right, she is feminine without being overtly sexual. She is a really pretty figure and I liked her from the first time I saw her. I do like some of the Kingdom Death stuff but I think this one is my favorite. Can't wait to see what you do with her!

• Like 3

Given the choice, that's what I wear while relaxing with a glass of wine and a good book.  She is rather modest and proportional for KD.  I like that there's a strong story to be told with her surroundings.  Looking forward to seeing her.

• Like 2

Looking at the body...is that her navel or is there a big gap in her belly?

I like her proportions, not over exaggerated.

Those books are indeed screaming for some nice drawings, maybe a "monk" type first letter.

She could have tattoos or body art...there is a lot going on there.

• Like 4

it's a slot for the book tab- she'll have a book in her lap!

Willing to help! Carry on!

For the tattoos, etc, get most of the shading done on her skin, then add them, then finish up with layers over top- that should help make the markings look like they live in her skin rather than on top of it.

Colors?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Corporea said:

it's a slot for the book tab- she'll have a book in her lap!

Willing to help! Carry on!

For the tattoos, etc, get most of the shading done on her skin, then add them, then finish up with layers over top- that should help make the markings look like they live in her skin rather than on top of it.

Colors?

Yup, the slot is for one of the books down by her feet that I'll paint separately so I can reach all of her skin and paint the book with more details. 

Thanks! I'll definitely take your advice for the tats.

Thoughts on sheer stockings if I should try to do them? To me it's like she was in the middle of getting dressed and then got distracted by a good (spell) book. 

I'm also thinking she's a sorceress and I may add some fun spell efffects with her floating some books around herself idly. 

Colors- I'm thinking that the tats will be bright and pretty as well as a few arcane designs. Her skin I'm leaning towards the Hispanic or Native American, with dark hair. 

She has some whips that came with her that I didn't even clip from the sprues and won't be using as that's not the vibe I'm going for here. 

• Like 9

Some more pics from last night as I was able to get the base black primer down through the airbrush. That Stynylrez primer straight through without thinning is fantastic!

Today, I'll hit it with some white zenithal priming.

The pics I can show w/o nudity -

59a603618ec5e_Distracted7.thumb.jpg.14bf3dbb53d7ede84c33445ac32a6ede.jpg59a6036289990_Distracted8.thumb.jpg.0f87b5cb53d75f01a67775fa8400f855.jpg59a6036377f9b_Distracted9.thumb.jpg.effe394ae858e0c26a332d5f2d0edee3.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 7

Are you planning to put her base into something else?  There was a rough spot on her base in the lower right-hand corner in the first post.  I just assumed you weren't done cleaning her but it looks like you've now primed over it. 

For sheer stockings you will be making a mix of whatever color you decide on plus her base skintone.  At the thinnest parts, such as the knee, it will be nearly skin while any part that isn't being stretched will be the base stocking color.  As such you can do this for almost any paint combination.  Black is the most common color I see used in minis, so you might mix it up and use a different color.  An image search will bring up more reference material than you can use.

If the wife asks why you are looking at sheer women's stockings, the obvious reply is that they are for you. :lol:

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Auberon said:

Are you planning to put her base into something else?  There was a rough spot on her base in the lower right-hand corner in the first post.  I just assumed you weren't done cleaning her but it looks like you've now primed over it. 

For sheer stockings you will be making a mix of whatever color you decide on plus her base skintone.  At the thinnest parts, such as the knee, it will be nearly skin while any part that isn't being stretched will be the base stocking color.  As such you can do this for almost any paint combination.  Black is the most common color I see used in minis, so you might mix it up and use a different color.  An image search will bring up more reference material than you can use.

If the wife asks why you are looking at sheer women's stockings, the obvious reply is that they are for you. :lol:

Not putting the base into anything, tho I may clip it down to make it just the wood planks and place on top of a small black plinth. 

Thanks for the advice on stockings and the reason behind looking at them! :;):

• Like 1

Very nice model.  I couldn't quite figure out what she was distracted by and why her arms are in the air.  A book, you say?  Better be a good book.   I see her as a showgirl sitting back stage looking through her scrapbook of publicity shots and performance reviews.  Does she have some kind of scarf around her neck? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Very nice model.  I couldn't quite figure out what she was distracted by and why her arms are in the air.  A book, you say?  Better be a good book.   I see her as a showgirl sitting back stage looking through her scrapbook of publicity shots and performance reviews.  Does she have some kind of scarf around her neck? 

Hmm, haven't looked that close at her neck. I thought it was a choker or necklace, but it could be a scarf.

I dug out a few more metal and resin books from the bits box, I'm liking the idea coming into my head of them looking like they are floating and flying around her, so they'd be attached at corners and edges, which would be some delicate work to make sure they stay in place. 

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cygnwulf
      Been watching the previews for this on Bold's Instagram,  Some crazy cute models, this time sculpted by  Ismael Nieto.  I'm particularly fond of Bisa and Tori, the winners of the dino race, and the BatPacker is too cute.  Resin cast and STL like their last several releases.  I've picked up their STLs before and been very happy, Planning to try to swing for at least one in resin this time, though shipping from Sweden hurts.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boldminiatures/ismaels-collection

• By dks
      I've finished another project that was on my to-do list for years.
      First the pics, then some more words:

This was a special resin figure from ReaperCon 2014 (April 24-27 that year) -- sculpted by Bobby Jackson, given to attendees who paid extra for the Artist Banquet on Saturday night. 
      I was supposed to paint him for Reaper's studio collection after the con, but I got distracted with other stuff and he fell off my list.
      He had the SKU 01529 for a while, and although he is out of production now, his clone will be back soon in Bones 5 as part of the "Dreadmere Personas" Core Set extra.  I'll try to remember to revise the tags of this post when he has a new 77xxx or 78xxx number.
      Ian Markon (Kuro Cleanbrush) painted a spectacular rendition in 2015 as "Knight of the Blood Moon", with red armor and wings.  You can find it here on the Forum by searching for "01529".

So far in 2021, I've been finishing some figures left over from years past ... and getting points in the Reaper Challenge League for it.
      This guy earned 3 points for the April theme of "No More Sunrises" (vampires and other nocturnal or subterranean monsters). 

I couldn't decide on a color scheme so I started painting a cool grey monochrome as if he were in moonlight. 
      I was going to add a warm light from behind, too, but I just kept going with the cool monochrome all around. 
      I concentrated on the differences in contrast and texture among the materials: armor plates and trim, cloak exterior and interior, sword (blade, crossguard, pommel, hilt), gems, skin, hair, teeth, stone steps, skull, etc.

I spent extra time on the face, as always, such as getting the blends very smooth. 
      The eyes are sculpted very large, which gave me freedom to manipulate the expression.  I painted the upper lids a fraction of a millimeter lower, to get just the right half-lidded look.
      And in order to make him seem more feral, I painted his scleras darker and irises lighter.  I did this a few years ago on a half-orc Pathfinder figure I painted (Skreed Gorewillow).

The specific colors were Blue Liner ("black"), the cold grey triad (9172 Stormcover Grey, 9173 Coldstone Grey, and 9174 Icy Grey, now out of production), Misty Grey, and Pure White.
      The blending was somewhat challenging, because the greys changed value from wet to dry!  Stormcover Grey dries a little lighter, and Icy Grey and Misty Grey dry a little darker.  On the back of the cloak, for example, I would see a spot where I wanted to deepen the shadow, and Stormcover Grey looked perfect while wet, but then it would dry lighter and the "shadow" disappeared!  So I had to add Blue Liner to the Stormcover Grey, and trusted that what looked too dark at first would look right when dry.  This phenomenon made it fun to paint little streaks of Stormcover Grey on the interior of the cloak or the sword blade, because the streak would go on invisible over the black, but then appear grey as it dried a few seconds later.

Enjoy!

Derek
    • By WhiteWulfe
      Odds are this thread may be a tad slow at times due to a variety of factors, but probably also because of the fact it's not only a resin conversion kit, but a recast one since you can't get the original one anymore.

Right off the bat, I have to say this: No, I won't be painting it in Kirk's colours.  They're nice, but I'm not one to always do the "canon colours" or "factory paintjob" thing.  I'm actually kind of thinking of some sort of patchy and "muddied" scatter camouflage based off of some sort of combination of Spotted Hyenas, Dalmatians, and even Great Danes.

^Obligatory "glory shot" of what I suspect will wind up being used.
      - Master Grade MS-06S Zaku II Ver 2.0 Char Aznable's (will mainly be used for the frame)
      - Universal Century MS-05L Zaku I Sniper resin conversion kit
      - SIMP/EVO Studio Zaku II (Ver 2.0) Grunts decal sheet
      - CJHobbies metal detail up parts kit (will mainly be used for leg thrusters as well as the mono-eye)

Yeah, it'll be a bit of a situation of not really using everything in that detail up kit, but such is life.  I don't want to try and figure out what size thrusters to get to work with the kit.  And yes, I know the Zaku I doesn't have the leg thrusters, but oh well.  Resin kit has them, and I kind of like that it's almost like it's a slightly modified Zaku I for better mobility.

^So uh, where's construction so far?  Well, truthfully?  This is where things left off, but will be seeing a decent amount of progress in the very near future.  Yup, you build the initial kit only to then take three quarters of it apart, whee!
    • By TripleH
      New books be Dave Taylor, one of which features Aaron Lovejoy, Matt Dipietro, and Elizabeth Beckley of Miniature Monthly and others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560579763/the-art-of-volumes-1-3?ref=user_menu

If you would like to just get two of the three books, the best way to do so is to pledge for one of the books, then increase your pledge total to include the Add-on price for the second book below. 

We will be using BackerKit as our pledge manager and that's where you'll have the opportunity to make those specific choices. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or by messaging me here on Kickstarter.

THE ART OF…
      For more than 30 years I have spent a great deal of time talking with hundreds of artists who paint miniatures – for fun, for a living, for relaxation – and I am always intrigued to learn more about their philosophies, approaches, and processes. Some of these artists have spent decades refining their technical skills, while others bring their “traditional” art training to the miniatures world. Some draw inspiration from the most unusual of places, while others find it in popular culture turned on its head.

THE ART OF… series of books will highlight fantastic miniatures artists from around the world, bringing their thoughts and passions to stand alongside their magnificent and inspirational work. We’ll be featuring both individuals and groups in this series, as we explore innovative approaches, studied refinements, and even tangential influences.
      These books will be both a celebration of the artist and their art, as well as an opportunity for them to present their thoughts on particular topics and let the world know why they approach their art the way they do. These will not be “How To” books, but rather complements to their existing outlets work that the artists are already doing.
      This is just the beginning of THE ART OF… series. With so many wonderful miniatures artists, there is so much potential to explore.

Volume 1 – THE ART OF... Miniature Monthly
      Miniature Monthly is a collective of three professional painters from the US – Aaron Lovejoy, Elizabeth Beckley, and Matt DiPietro – who have a Patreon (Miniature Monthly) producing painting tutorial videos. All three are (or have been) studio painters for a number of different companies and they each bring something different to the table. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 128 pages.
      Aaron will cover:
      • Creating a team/collective – looking at The Painters’ Guild and Miniature Monthly
      • Striking a balance between Speed and High-end painting
      • Freehand – Adding depth and texture
      Elizabeth will cover:
      • Smooth Skin – featuring work on the Kingdom Death minis
      • Chibi Art – how painting chibis differs from “standard” miniatures
      Matt will cover:
           • Ancient methods with infinite possibilities.
      • The Art of miniatures, – Finding your voice and engaging with the audience.
      https://www.patreon.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.facebook.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.instagram.com/artoflovejoy/
      https://www.instagram.com/miniature_mistress/
      https://www.instagram.com/mattdipietroart/

Volume 2 – THE ART OF... Christof Keil
      Christof Keil (aka k03rnl) is an artist from Germany who has made a name for himself with his incredible kitbashes and conversions and his work to turn 2D artwork into 3D pieces. Christof’s day job as a blacksmith working on enormous metal sculptures has given him a precise eye for balance and motion. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • Kitbashing – a focus on anatomy, balance, silhouette
      • The Black Phalanx – a kitbashed project
      • Sculpting – creating reliefs and busts
      • Painting Black – an exercise in mimicking the masters
      • Black Templars – recreating the John Blanche art of 3rd Edition
      https://www.instagram.com/k03rnl/
      https://www.instagram.com/black.phallanx.sculpts/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsw4HOpTJ2MWvSbiBCT7-g

Volume 3 – THE ART OF... Ana Polanšćak
      Ana is a professional miniatures painter from Croatia who is widely regarded for her world-building miniatures art. Her converted and sculpted miniatures blend seamlessly with her terrain work to create dark corners of worlds that beg to be explored – at your peril. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • World Building – a focus on selecting a starting point and key developments. Working on your own worlds and collaborating with others
      • Gardens of Hecate – a world created by Ana
      • AoS28 – Hosting the LEGEN and the Sunhold campaigns
      • Sculpting – What it’s like to turn concepts into physical sculpts for the miniatures market, and the reliquary/artifact creations
      https://www.instagram.com/gardensofhecate/
      http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com
      https://gardensofhecate.com
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)