• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very good.

I've experimented with various ways of sealing Bones minis.  What seems to work best for me, with the least amount of shine / stickiness / waxy feel, is to first give a thin protective coat of a gloss acrylic medium, something meant to provide a barrier, then let that dry for at least a day and finish the figure with a thin layer of Golden matte polymer varnish.

• Like 3

That is an awesome eyebeast!

I keep a notebook with a page for each mini - as i am painting i put a dab of paint in the notebook and the formula (2drops of this 3 drops of that etc.)

This makes touch ups easy and is super helpful later when you want to make more orcs with the same skin tone as the other ones ;)

You are brave to attempt OSL - it scares me ;)

• Like 1

Nice work!

I feel your pain about not remembering colors, and I can not keep a journal for love or money either...

What I have been able to do is document what I do in my WiP threads, as I post pics of my progress. That way, I can go back and find what I did when I want to replicate something...

It also gets me feedback from others around here....

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pingo said:

Looks very good.

I've experimented with various ways of sealing Bones minis.  What seems to work best for me, with the least amount of shine / stickiness / waxy feel, is to first give a thin protective coat of a gloss acrylic medium, something meant to provide a barrier, then let that dry for at least a day and finish the figure with a thin layer of Golden matte polymer varnish.

Thank you Pingo.  I will look for this matte varnish in a Michaels or some such place as I saw nothing matching that description in the reaper store.

8 hours ago, kitenerd said:

That is an awesome eyebeast!

I keep a notebook with a page for each mini - as i am painting i put a dab of paint in the notebook and the formula (2drops of this 3 drops of that etc.)

This makes touch ups easy and is super helpful later when you want to make more orcs with the same skin tone as the other ones ;)

You are brave to attempt OSL - it scares me ;)

Thanks for the praise kitenerd!  I may look into a notebook - especially when trying out some new skin tones.  I must admit that I haven't really counted drops when mixing before and I usually go back for more of one or another paint.   My orcs may just end up being a diverse range of skin colors ::P:

7 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Amazing!

Thanks Xherman!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, MKCS said:

Me likey!

The eyes are fantastic.  Good job on the OSL too.

(A moment of silence for the poor pyro-less pyro, but a worthy sacrifice all in all I'd say.)

Thank you MKCS.  I had fun with the fiery colors.  I was too embarrassed to put them into their own show off thread but here are my shiney goblin pyros:

image.thumb.jpg.00ce72aa40bbd5b0ae3077b853f69892.jpg

As you see, the one on the right lost its torch but I replaced it with a flask of alchemist's fire (which started life as a drip from the end of the glue gun :lol:).  Now I know it's not at all alchemically accurate but I made the flask look like it glows with fire inside before thrown.

(meanwhile I imagine the fallen torch to have come from the same adventurer who lost their sword sword found on the base)

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Pragma said:

I like the fire and OSL. I picture him sitting around the camp fire telling ghost stories to his beholderkin about parties of adventurers.

That made me smile!  I wonder how good papa eye beast is with doing the voices?

3 hours ago, knarthex said:

Nice work!

I feel your pain about not remembering colors, and I can not keep a journal for love or money either...

What I have been able to do is document what I do in my WiP threads, as I post pics of my progress. That way, I can go back and find what I did when I want to replicate something...

It also gets me feedback from others around here....

Thanks knarthex.  I do like the idea of starting a wip and using that to record some of the details and decisions made.  I can even use that as an excuse to not put away my paints until it's done- so I can include a picture of what I used!  (I'll just have to remember to put away all the ones that are on the desk before I start...)

2 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Great eye beast! I like how it looks like it could easily camouflage itself in a cavern if it wanted to ambush something. Very menacing. Your OSL worked out great.

You've got a lot of talent for creating a scene from a single figure. I'm a little jealous. ::D:

Thank you for the kind words CorallineAlgae.  I'd had the picture in my head of a beast floating above a fallen torch lit from below.  When I thought of my unpainted eyebeast I was determined to do it but did not feel up to sculpting the torch and flames.  Then I must have seen someone's pyros painted up here (I've been lurking a loooooong time) and knew where I would get my torch.  Just needed to snip a piece of toothpick to make the other half of the broken torch on the ground.  

While it did not turn out exactly as I'd pictured, it was fun and it got me motivated to finally unlurk and share.  

Now whether it will see action on the table...

• Like 3
10 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

I have a lot I'd like to learn and one of them is how to seal my minis without them getting too shiny or clogging up the details.

Reaper sells two sealers, one that is more satin to matte finish (more matte if you add water) called brush-on sealer.  The other is called gloss sealer, also a brush-on.  These are products that can be added to paint as an acrylic medium, but are also suitable to use as final coats of varnish.  For a more matte finish, a spray product like Testor's Dullcote works well.  

Of course, sealing is optional.  But if your figures are going to get handled a lot or left in a dusty area, it is a good idea.

• Like 1

For minis I game with, I do a coat of gloss, let that dry completely then do a coat of matte. I pick out any areas I want to be shiny/wet - eyes, mouths, etc - with gloss. For large minis and terrain I use Dulcote which is a spray on. You have to be careful and shake it well and not use it in high humidity. Even with your brush on sealers, shake them well!

As for your eye beast, he is awesome. I like your colors and the scene you set with his base. Nicely done and welcome to the forums!