• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rubegon
      I got this mini in the Mini Painting 101 class at ReaperCon.  This was our first ReaperCon - my wife and I took the class together.  I’d painted about a dozen minis (badly) for D&D before going to RC.

I like this sculpt, and I wanted to work on improving my basic painting skills.  I decided to keep working on her to see how far I can go.

I’ve spent an embarrassingly large amount of time on her already.  I do feel like I’m learning a lot though and getting better at controlling my brush and getting paint consistency right.

I broke out one of the good brushes I had bought and not touched - a da Vinci Maestro.  I still feel unworthy to use it but maybe it will help me get better.

I’ve done a lot of work on the red armor already, but still need to do some more highlighting.  I think I might have overdone the highlights on the green ropes in some places.  I was planning to glaze them down and redo a bit smaller.

Thanks for taking a look.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback or tips on what I can improve on the parts I’ve worked on already.

Here she is so far - she looks a lot better if you squint.

• By Bonnie Bailey
      Good Evening! SO after sorting through my minis and cleaning up my workstation post reaper con, I felt inspired to tackle some techniques that I have been avoiding. I wanted to pick a mini that i felt I could paint quickly (but lessbehonest, I don't paint quickly at all) and that would be a good candidate for two techniques that I am trying to learn. after a long drawn out process of hemming and hawing I found a miniature that I received an unmentionable number of years ago from reaper as a prize for buying miniatures during October. So it is Krissy the modern witch with out her familiar.

I have an idea of what I want to do, I want to keep the miniature a tight focus on OSL and Transparent fabric. If I am feeling like it after I have completed the mini, I may do a special base for her. I feel pretty good about my understanding of color, but I think this is going to be a pretty good challenge. Here's what I have so far.  

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      What is evil, yet cute? a KICKSTARTER that's what.

Since SoC's delivery is in full throttle, it's time to announce the SIBLINGS OF CHAOS. Coming from the dark places of the galaxy, and serving Gods of terrible designs, they march for the total ruination of everything!     from the same team that brought us Siblings of Conflict, Impact! Miniatures and Marchen return with more goodies for us (after delivery of the Siblings is complete
    • By Corporea
      ... The larch?

Heh. No, but I want to try something very different from my preferred style in order to branch out and try new things.  I recently watched Coco (um... several times) and took a liking to the alebrijes, especially Pepita.  I really want Reaper to make a Pepita.  So this is my way of showing how fun it could be!

The plan: A chibi lion with patterns like the traditional Oaxacan Alebrijes.  This means fun bright colors and an attempt at making a piece look like wooden folk art. It can be done!

First step, research.

...and my personal favorite:

Perfect!  I wanted to practice red anyway.  I ended up choosing red shadow, dragon red, big top red, seoni scarlet, volcanic orange, marigold yellow and sun yellow as my colors.

Second step is to pick a mini.

I supported Impact's kickstarter quite awhile ago and almost forgot I had this fellow.  It's the Venetian Lion.

I set forth in an effort to prep the mini.  

Um... it took a lot of prep. I decided to go ahead and attach one wing at the risk of making the body harder to paint.  I sanded for about half a day then filled in all the bubbles and sculpted one set of claws.  Er, I'm hoping their QC has improved since the kickstarter, because this piece took almost a day to prep.  Oddly, I think the 3D print went into the mold un-sanded and with texture, because the large surfaces had a texturing I associate with those prints.  It took several layers of sealer to smooth.

But, I finally got him primed.  Isn't he cute! 

Next, I basecoated with red shadow.  why red shadow, you ask?  Because red is awful at coverage because of its translucency.  So, basecoat with a red brown. This will save you frustration down the road.

Next, layer with dragon red. Leave a few areas of the red shadow as deepest shadows.  Here's where I had to decided to commit to the wooden/statue route, because a real lion would have a darker back and a pale belly, whereas a figure in top-down light would be the opposite.

Still not red?  Never fear!  Also, put a lot of layers of each step.  Lots and lots of layers. Next step big top red.

Next, seoni scarlet.  I like this color.  It's super intense.  Very shiny.  Except it's matte, but you know what I mean.

Boom! Now we're in the red zone.

Now, I need eyes.  A miniature is lifeless until we add eyes.  I like doing them early because they often help guide the rest of the project.

I basecoated the eyes with marigold yellow.  Then shaded the edges with volcanic orange.

Then I added some sun yellow to the center.  Even a chibi eye can afford some shading, otherwise the socket looks too flat.

After that, I drew in the iris shape.

I used red shadow and added a pupil of nightshade purple.

When I was happy with the shape and balance, I filled in the eye with some terra nova tundra and more of the yellows.

Excellent!  I also mixed a bit of linen white into the yellow just at the edge of the iris ring.  Here's a front view:

Last step in eyes if adding the white reflection.  I used pure white for contrast.

So he's sort of a demonic cute lion.  It could work, right?

Then I wanted to try out wing patterns.  For the last 3 days I've been wanting to get to the fun part, so I forged ahead and rushed to this step. As it turns out, that was an error, but it worked out in the end.  I think.

Ok, the key to freehand is breaking down a pattern into something simple.  I started with circles.

Filled in the circles and added some teardrop lines.

added some more lines.

and on and on...

Until I felt like I was getting closer to pattern.  It was then I realized the wing looked way to flat and dull. I needed more shading.  What I should have done was make the feather lighter near the origin to add more contrast. So I glazed over the pattern.  I'll just have to pick it back up again after I'm done with the shading.

Here's the wing with the shading.  I'll touch it up a bunch, then rework the pattern.  But I think I like it better with the change in contrast.  We'll see. I can always paint over it.  Sigh.  That will teach me to skip to the fun stuff.

More later!  As always, feel free to ask questions!
    • By Gantrell
      First time posting to the Forum. Feedback welcome!

Thanks.

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)