Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I used "green stuff" sculpting putty and formed that shape, pressed the Raven model and warlock model in, then used rocks I found outside to press into the putty for texture. Then just paint.

IMG_1436.JPG

Edited by James-
  • Like 11
4 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

That is one nice warlock! Love the gem on the staff and the freehand on the scroll.  And the rock texture on the base is very convincing.  I also appreciate the backstory.  The raven deserves a name.  How about "Pickins?"

Thanks! Pickins isn't a bad suggestion I may just use that during our next D&D session!

Edited by James-
1 hour ago, amuller33 said:

the basing WORKED!!! I loved the stone work... yes I am envious. Shading works just fine. The gemstones bag and scroll are nice little touches, Can we see the face?....its tough on this guy... I have painted him in bones... nightmare

AJ

Of everything on the model I was least pleased with the skin. I was trying to go for a very pale with a tinge of blue and after trying a few different things:

-first normal skin tone with a blue wash

-didn't like it so I tried to go over it with a very thin white to brighten and smooth

-didn't like that and did a flesh tone wash over it... things were going poorly at this point

-then added a very light blue and said well I guess that's as good as it's getting...

any tips on achieving a smooth light blue skin would be great.

IMG_1467.JPG

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

Light blue with many thin layers of white (mostly linen), being careful to leave blue around the edges inthe shadows, then bright white as a high light.

Thanks! Those look awesome. I'll have to try that out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      How do you make an octopus laugh?  You give him ten tickles!

Wanted to show off this little octopus that I sculpted from some leftover green stuff.  I don't have much experience with sculpting other than a few simple embellishments on minis and a couple of snake swarms I made once.  Wanted to try something relatively simple and figured an octopus would be pretty forgiving.

You can see more about how I made this guy and more of my nautical minis in my Dark Tide WIP thread HERE.

I sculpted and painted this guy in two evenings and am happy with hos cute it turned out.  It's not the most accurate, but I'm proud of it.  It definitely has given me greater confidence in my ability to make something out of nothing.

More Photos Beneath the Spoiler:

• By Rigel
      Karla, Anime Heroine https://www.reapermini.com/search/anime/latest/50232 is a beautiful sculpt, but the miniskirt would raise eyebrows in my pulp/midcentury settings, so I gave her a bit of a hemline extension with GreenStuff.  I'm also planning to use some eyelets and pins to turn at least one gun into a syringe. Will post more as progress continues. Stay safe and healthy!

• By MoonglowMinis
      Showcasing more old-paintjobs from one of my former adventuring parties.  This time we look at Willow the Eladrin Warlock, represented by Feiya, Iconic Witch.

I enjoyed playing with colors with her, though in retrospect, I wish I had used some more magentas and purples.  I believe the leaves on the base were painted oregano.

Reverse side under the spoiler:
      Willow is an Eladrin of the Feywild.  When her world started to freeze over, she was sent by her patron to cross over into the material world and discover the source of the cold.  A stranger to Frostrun and an outsider to this World, Willow must rely on her new friends to help her save her own realm.

Check out the rest of the Frostrun project HERE.
    • By Inarah
      Vatanis came in my  Paint & Take Home Survival Kit, and I started him off as part of the craft paint challenge, but it just wasn't working. 

So he got set aside for a couple of months, until I saw Cicciopiu's magnificent rendition.  I leaned on it heavily for inspiration

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/92152-vatanis-maggotcrown-warlock-sku-44052/

He has so, so many details.  I could put much more time into this, but I had reached a point where I had to stop. 

• By spitfire23bc
      These two were mostly done a while ago (along with their buddy Darkrasp). It's just taken me a while to work up the courage to paint the scroll and spellbook and get them off my shelf of shame!

• Who's Online   16 Members, 3 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)