Sign in to follow this  
Cyradis

03352: Children of the Zodiac: Virgo

Thanks guys! I'll try to get some better pics of these guys when I get my lightbox going again. I'm starting to wonder if I even need to use my old but fancy camera with a macro lens, or if the new cellphone's will do just as well nowadays. 

:wub:

3 hours ago, hdclearman said:

I've always wanted to buy this set.  Keeps getting pushed down the wish list.

Great work.

Thanks! 

It is always in the back of my head that I'll put the figures on the stands that they come with, and make a lazy-susan to rotate them on all together. Hasn't happened yet. I have Virgo, Taurus, Scorpio, Leo, Cancer, and Aquarius done so far. Most of them are done with simple painting style, but pleasing.

You did a lovely job painting her. The eyes are very expressive, and I like the flowers. The dress is beautiful - did you make it just a little bit sheer around the breasts, or is that my imagination? The bird perhaps is missing something - maybe some shading? And the skin came out just a little bit chalky. This can sometimes be fixed by thinning with medium instead of water.

Good luck with your finals!

Just now, Pragma said:

You did a lovely job painting her. The eyes are very expressive, and I like the flowers. The dress is beautiful - did you make it just a little bit sheer around the breasts, or is that my imagination? The bird perhaps is missing something - maybe some shading? And the skin came out just a little bit chalky. This can sometimes be fixed by thinning with medium instead of water.

Good luck with your finals!

Thanks for the well wishing on finals. One exam, a presentation, and a 10-page paper to procrastinate.... erm... to work on. I have my papers to research up in the next tab ;) 

I thoroughly agree with almost all of your statements. The dress is not actually shear, but I did put a good deal of time on bringing the highlights up on her chest. Maybe it is the fact that she's so pale and the dress is to that gave you the illusion. 

The bird bothers me. I looked up parakeets to go with, and decided on yellow. But yellow is kinda a twit of a color to shade. It was just... off. Hence thinking of redoing it blue, which is one of the easiest colors (as medium hues) to shade. 

Skin and graininess is the bane of me lately. The face shows it more than the leg, I think. I did buy a wet palette to start using, and then it may be worth getting some thinning medium to use with that. Otherwise I'll end up with it drying up without full usage. Waiting until the projects are done to open that; I'm allowing myself a few minutes here and there at the moment instead of long sessions. What thinning medium do you recommend? 

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I thoroughly agree with almost all of your statements. The dress is not actually shear, but I did put a good deal of time on bringing the highlights up on her chest. Maybe it is the fact that she's so pale and the dress is to that gave you the illusion. 

Perhaps, but it really does look like there is a bit of flesh tone. Must be just a reflection.

The bird bothers me. I looked up parakeets to go with, and decided on yellow. But yellow is kinda a twit of a color to shade. It was just... off. Hence thinking of redoing it blue, which is one of the easiest colors (as medium hues) to shade. 

Yellow is indeed a pain to shade. I usually use a light to medium yellowish brown. I have heard that purple works but I have never dared to try because it sounds crazy.

Skin and graininess is the bane of me lately. The face shows it more than the leg, I think. I did buy a wet palette to start using, and then it may be worth getting some thinning medium to use with that. Otherwise I'll end up with it drying up without full usage. Waiting until the projects are done to open that; I'm allowing myself a few minutes here and there at the moment instead of long sessions. What thinning medium do you recommend? 

The wet palette is great, but it does add water to the paints which may or may not be what you want. The only medium I have used is Reaper's brush-on sealer. I used it once when I was painting a very pale-skinned character and it worked pretty well. But there are lots of different mixes of things out there and probably lots of people on here could give you better advice.

• Like 1

I'm in a dry enough climate that I've gotten a split lip by smiling in summer. As long as my paints aren't flooded, they should be okay with a little added water. 

I did use a brown wash on the yellow, but it looked rather dirty. Then I highlighted it with beige (actually liked that part). It has a few colored stripes on the wings too. 

The skin tone you're seeing might actually be the light bulb; this was from before I swapped my awful hot, kinda yellowish bulb, to a cool tone and cool temperature bulb.