Jump to content

Dark Sword Miniatures – Stephanie Law Masterworks Expansion


Harrek
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Smokestack said:

So, are you guys in because of the sculpts or because of the Art associated with it? I will be honest, there are a couple I like but there are more than a few that I don't. The sculpts aren't as close to the art as I would like. My other concern is I have about 6 DS minis. Some are perfectly scaled to my other 28mm-32mm stuff but a couple (a duelist girl with a sword and dagger and a lady muse in a dress) are huge... towering over everyone else. I cant tell the scale or if the scale is consistent. They do look nice though.

 

The all or nothing though is the kicker. If I could get the Druid and a few others on their own then I would have likely been in.

I would say that in my experience, DS minis are to scale to the average other brand about 96% of the time. But I have noted in a previous thread that there are a few - particularly from the Stephanie Law line, that are strangely larger than the rest of the DS offerings.

 

Very odd for a company that is otherwise so consistent, quality-wise. I mean, they are nice sculpts. But they look huge on the table.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

So, are you guys in because of the sculpts or because of the Art associated with it? I will be honest, there are a couple I like but there are more than a few that I don't. The sculpts aren't as close to the art as I would like. My other concern is I have about 6 DS minis. Some are perfectly scaled to my other 28mm-32mm stuff but a couple (a duelist girl with a sword and dagger and a lady muse in a dress) are huge... towering over everyone else. I cant tell the scale or if the scale is consistent. They do look nice though.

 

The all or nothing though is the kicker. If I could get the Druid and a few others on their own then I would have likely been in.

I think the nice part about the Dark Sword Kickstarters is you know that once you hit the goals, they are going to ship pretty much on time and you can always grab, picking and choosing individual pieces you want, on their website, or if you've got a good hobby store around, they can probably get them from a distributor.  I've got some Dark Sword stuff and it is just insanely gorgeous, no matter what scale it be sculpted in.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things I learned about myself with this kickstarter: I'm really easily excitable for stretch goals.

Doesn't bode well for my wallet with the Bones IV kickstarter on the horizon, but at least I'll be in good company.

 

Both of the bards are unlocked, as well as the female version of the ranger, currently going towards large cats and the male ranger. And well, I do like cats ... 

 

I really hope we'll see the Necromancer Stephanie Law posted on her facebook page.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bruunwald said:

I would say that in my experience, DS minis are to scale to the average other brand about 96% of the time. But I have noted in a previous thread that there are a few - particularly from the Stephanie Law line, that are strangely larger than the rest of the DS offerings.

 

Very odd for a company that is otherwise so consistent, quality-wise. I mean, they are nice sculpts. But they look huge on the table.

Knowing how Stephanie Law's art is popular, it wouldn't surprise me that minis based off her work are sized as much for display as they are for gaming.

 

I mean, they're bigger than average, but not so big that you can't use them on a 1in. grid map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this line is specifically supposed to be iconic gaming characters, I expect they will be more consistent with standard Dark Sword scale for gaming. 

 

And wow, that ranger looks amazing!  It warms my heart to see the women getting the dynamic poses while the men stand at attention.  :devil: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Since this line is specifically supposed to be iconic gaming characters, I expect they will be more consistent with standard Dark Sword scale for gaming. 

 

And wow, that ranger looks amazing!  It warms my heart to see the women getting the dynamic poses while the men stand at attention.  :devil: 

Wondering if there'll be barbarians down the line if we hit the $24K mark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for warlocks and sorcerers. 

Barbarians would be interesting though, I can't quite picture them in Stephanie Law's style. 

 

There is talk about being able to add existing DS minis to your pledge in form of bundles, which would really be worth wile for the ones paying for international shipping. And it'll help with stretch goals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nunae said:

I'm hoping for warlocks and sorcerers. 

Barbarians would be interesting though, I can't quite picture them in Stephanie Law's style. 

 

There is talk about being able to add existing DS minis to your pledge in form of bundles, which would really be worth wile for the ones paying for international shipping. And it'll help with stretch goals.

 

Might be less muscle-bound oaf style, more sleek, pantherish wild-man ..? I'unno, her warriors would stand in nicely for barbarians, with their skull hats.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nunae said:

I'm hoping for warlocks and sorcerers. 

Barbarians would be interesting though, I can't quite picture them in Stephanie Law's style. 

 

There is talk about being able to add existing DS minis to your pledge in form of bundles, which would really be worth wile for the ones paying for international shipping. And it'll help with stretch goals.

 

They have done this in their other kick starters as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like some of the figures, particularly the women but can't afford the single, all in pledge point right now.  Guess I will wait and pick up a couple of these lovelies when they hit retail. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, amuller33 said:

I asked no Monks or barbarian :( Still for the price and the nice sculpts.. Im in!

Yeah, read that as well =/

He did say he really wants to see Stephanie's interpretations of those classes though, and it might be added to the line after the kickstarter.

 

Oh, and we just unlocked the male ranger.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sigh. I wanted to like these. The art is cool but the sculpts feel awkward to me.  There's a few individual pieces I could pledge for, but the all-or-nothing pledge levels make that impossible. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An early bird will be available tomorrow morning if anyone is interested. The all-in price tag is too much for me at the moment. I will save this money for Green Horde (depending on the stretch goals), Bones IV and A Song of Ice and Fire. Both druids and the female cleric will be at my long Darksword wishlist for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...