Dark Sword Miniatures – Stephanie Law Masterworks Expansion

21 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I also would've liked the 1080 HD download option of the DVDs, but they don't seem to be available on Dark Sword's website.

When I bought the set of Jessica's HD videos a couple years ago, it was from the CMoN web site.  AFAIK, they were the only place that had them at the time.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They told me I could be anything.  So I became a mini hoarder.       The minis are outstanding as expected.  I'm going to start with the Female Ranger from the unlocked stretch go

I have and have watched all of the DVDs but the difficult colours. (Have, just haven't watched yet.) Even as a fairly experienced painter, I learned things from each of them. The Jen & Anne set an

Holy elf due to misunderstanding world time buddy I was camping here all night, with the kickstarter going live just as I cooked dinner. I hate time zones. I think I got the last early bird.

Posted Images

A few kickstarters ago I picked up one of the HD downloads as an add-on.  Jim sent me a link to download it off of the CMON site.  Marike's video was 42.1GB in HD, broken up into 29 different mp4 files.

The $34K mark has been reached.

We're starting to get a *lot* of fairy critters in this KS (though what makes the animals so "fey" is a mystery). Ooh and more add-ons!

I think I'll go for the Land Shark and pups because it's such a unique piece.

19 hours ago, Serenity said:

When I bought the set of Jessica's HD videos a couple years ago, it was from the CMoN web site.  AFAIK, they were the only place that had them at the time.

I would also happily flush out my video collection if these were the downloads instead of DVDs. I have one set I bought from CMON, and I watch them on an iPad. I PMd them right after the DVDs were added to the options and was told a download option is a no go this KS. :-/

(Yes, I know I could buy the DVDs and rip them for the iPad. But after the cost of that time I might as well pay the extra $10-15 and just get the download.)

• Artists

I have and have watched all of the DVDs but the difficult colours. (Have, just haven't watched yet.) Even as a fairly experienced painter, I learned things from each of them. The Jen & Anne set and the first Hot Lead are my go-to recommendations for beginner to early intermediate painters. Both cover a wide breadth of techniques and effects. The Jen & Anne one is fun because you get two different painters who use different techniques and styles for some things, so you can see from the beginning that there's no 'one true way'. You also get fun banter and back and forth you don't get as much with a single person video. (Though Jim prompts the painters with questions and comments in the single artist sets, so that is a bit of the same effect.) Laszlo's drybrushing section in the Hot Lead DVDs still blows my mind for what he achieves with a technique most consider basic and sloppy.

None of these DVDs take the approach of following the artist through painting entire figures, it's not 'paint along' style instruction. Each DVD is set up to cover different topics. There's a menu to go straight to topics of interest. You get a bit of the theory, paint mixing, colour choice, or whatever else is pertinent to that topic, then you watch how the painter employs those techniques. Sometimes it'll be the whole process, like painting a smaller item like a sword, sometimes it'll be you follow enough to see how it's done. So it's not a paint along. And it's easy to use the menu to go back to review particular topics rather than having to scan through a long video of painting an entire figure. (For newer painters, I would probably recommend watching in order on a first viewing, since they tend to be organized from foundational techniques through to more complex ones.)

The add-on miniature bundles are offered for those who would like to be able to practice the techniques demonstrated on the same figures as the painters use, but it's entirely possible to practice on whatever figures you like.

• Like 8

Thank you for that review Wren,

I was kinda toying with the idea of getting one of the sets in case the budget allows it, but I wasn't sure which one or if it's even worth it for a complete novice.

• Like 1

Well, Jim said in the comments something about "many more stretch goals to come before the dust settles" so I guess they at least have something planned. 

And from my experiences as a KS observer, they tend to pick up the pace towards the last 24 hours, don't they?

AddOns also help a lot, and some people (like me) might be waiting to see them all before deciding to up pledges.

• Like 1

The "Remind Me Later" feature tends to get a lot of people coming back to the project in the last 48 hours.  I'm just conservative with my projections, we've already got a lot of stuff up for offer so I don't want to assume too much just to be disappointed later. 

• Like 2

Well, definetly a healthy way to look at things.

Personally I was okay with the value when I pledged, and that was before any stretch goals. 

I just imagine it to be heart wrenching if we see a character picture of the final stretch goal and just barely don't make it.

I'm pretty darn amazed by the number of stretch goals hit. It makes me feel better about relegating myself to ramen noodles for a while :) 

Wren, thank you for the review on the tutorial videos. I don't know if I'll pick them up this time, but they're certainly going on my wish-list now. I feel like I've missed a lot early on by not having watched videos until recently on youtube (thanks Kuro Cleanbrush), and have still only painted alone (hopefully remedying in June with the other CO folks). Self-teaching only goes so far. 

• Like 1

Im hopeful for this one,  but i might wait until they hit the market.  Stephanie law is one of the few sculptors i actively look at all the work for. And is 100% the reason i have darkswords bookmarked.  I just.. i don't know I'm not feeling it with some of these sculpts, I'll check again to see if anything's changed but.  I don't know,  probably because i don't use most these minis for gaming i think her work in diorama sculpts is what interests me most.  That and her critters,  i love her fox sets.  

Edit: looked again and i think i just might jump on this ship.. I'll check my checkbook later to confirm

Edit edit: After consulting with a trusted source about what their opinion was on the subject. I have come to the conclusion that... I am on this ship, AND I really really need to save for bones cause I have a feeling my wallet is going to be bled dry. Time to upgrade my brushes.

Edited by Slush
Checked it out a 2nd time And a 3rd time
  • Like 3

Stephanie Law is no sculptor, "just" a really good drawer/painter.

And whelp, I did ask for a female adventurer bundle, and I got my wish. It's just so big, with 16 minis. And they're all super gorgeous. I think I'll have to get it ...

• Like 2
Just now, Nunae said:

Stephanie Law is no sculptor, "just" a really good drawer/painter.

And whelp, I did ask for a female adventurer bundle, and I got my wish. It's just so big, with 16 minis. And they're all super gorgeous. I think I'll have to get it ...

I was unaware, thanks for the correction :) Would I be more accurate saying sculpts based on her artwork?