Dark Sword Miniatures – Stephanie Law Masterworks Expansion

Harrek

Yes. The first KS was, as far as I know, mostly based on existing artwork of hers, that's why it's so unusual for miniatures.

For the new KS she explicitly drew concept art to be made into miniatures.

But if you only know her from DSM, go check her other art out, there is some amazing stuff in there.

• Like 2

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be noted that Patrick Keith is the sculptor for these new minis.

For those unfamiliar, Patrick Keith is a popular sculptor who has sculpted for many companies including Reaper and his own company Bombshell minis. While he sculpts a wide array of subjects he's probably best known for his female sculpts. 

• Like 4

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention Patrick Keith at 6 AM in the morning. 

He really did a great job with those miniatures as well, it can't be easy to translate these artworks into sculpts. It's crazy how much detail some of these sculpts have (female Necromancer :wub: )

• Like 1

Campaign is in high gear now! Male necromancer is unlocked (both male and female together look like necro aristocrats) *and* a giant cat skeleton. More add-ons! The all-female adventure crew is also a nice bundle, but I feel like my current level is unworthy of them. They feel like they should be masterpieces. I'll be content with this current set.

Once I get through my painting videos collection, and of course practice, I'll take a crack at them.

5 hours ago, Slush said:

I was unaware, thanks for the correction :) Would I be more accurate saying sculpts based on her artwork?

Correct!

Patrick Keith is the sculptor of this particular batch. If you go on Dark Sword Miniatures website, you'll see the name of the artist and sculptor associated with each mini. Many of them are also Reaper sculptors. It's kind of fun when you recognize the artwork of a particular piece. Larry Elmore stand out for me from my early gaming days.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

:wub: Patrick Keith :wub:

:wub: Stephanie Law :wub:

That reminds me, I just got their Page of Wands mini to paint up for my daughter this summer. ::D:

I'm so going to mess that up. :down:

Hide contents

Stephanie-Law-Masterworks-Page-of-Wands-

I bought Page of Wands to paint for my daughter as well...  When I saw how many tiny pieces there were it got put to the back of the list. 

Which leads me to something I really like about this Stephanie Law expansion set, the characters look a little more paintable and like they'll have fewer tiny bits.  There's lots of room for master painters to add freehand to the clothing, but also room to do a fairly basic color scheme that's achievable for mere mortals.  I'm super-excited to try painting some of them.  ::D:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I bought Page of Wands to paint for my daughter as well...  When I saw how many tiny pieces there were it got put to the back of the list. 

Which leads me to something I really like about this Stephanie Law expansion set, the characters look a little more paintable and like they'll have fewer tiny bits.  There's lots of room for master painters to add freehand to the clothing, but also room to do a fairly basic color scheme that's achievable for mere mortals.  I'm super-excited to try painting some of them.  ::D:

I agree; the style of these loans itself well to a variety of skill ranges. I am looking forward to using them to practice smooth shading :) 

• Like 3

Do you guys think the new stretch goal means we're at the end of new Stephanie Law minis?

The female mage list has been on my wish list for quite a bit, so I'm not mad they're re-using their older minis at all, just wondering.

2 hours ago, Nunae said:

Do you guys think the new stretch goal means we're at the end of new Stephanie Law minis?

The female mage list has been on my wish list for quite a bit, so I'm not mad they're re-using their older minis at all, just wondering.

Looking at the comments section and the current goal, looks like we went through the current new collection.

Even without any add-ons, this is a really good looking set.

Edited by Cranky Dog

From a comment Jim made earlier:

" Stephanie and myself put our heads together on something amazing that a backer actually came to us with for yet another new possible stretch goal that is being sculpted up right now by Dave Summers (who sculpted the Book Wyrm optional add-on and almost all of our Critter Kingdoms miniatures and dragons in the Dark Sword line). So there is more in the wings, but rest assured you have unlocked everything I thought you could unlock in this project well ahead of schedule (which is truly amazing!). And we have our final 48 hour push coming up to help get us unlock some more final bonus miniatures. "

So it sounds like there is another new sculpt in the works, which wasn't planned.

• Like 3

They have revealed a new stretch goal, a Phoenix.  The concept art is very cool, and I am hoping the sculpt is revealed before the end...it may just push me over the edge into pledging.

• Like 3

I was trying to keep myself out of this one. I like the animals but I didn't think Patrick Keith captured the exact 'feyness' of her drawings. But with the deal I'm getting I can over look that and the dragon skulls that are too large on the fighters heads. 

Counting 2 small minis as 1, there are 28 figures in this kickstarter. That makes them about $3.50 a mini. You can neve find such a deal on Darksword minis. 

Now to figure out a plan to hide them from my husband.

• Like 6