New green Warrior

Gaiking

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great facial expression! I would love to see that face on a Conan-type figure.

OH MY GOD - that barbarian in your gallery with the frazetta helm - PLEASE tell me he is in 25mm (or close to it) scale and that he is going to be cast!

Oops - just saw he is 3 inches tall. Very cool!

Edited by primeval

Thanks for all the compliments. I've been sculpting for about 10 years professionally but only recently have I started to sculpt minis. The funny thing is I've wanted to sculpt mini figures since I was a kid but I wound up getting more involved in working on larger sized figures(between 2 and 9 inches tall). I've started to get more work doing mini figures and I have to say I like sculpting the little guys more than anything else.

Jim

::): Thanks. I never really thought about it but even though the Destroyer sculpt is in progress it's one I would love to resculpt as a 25mm mini. I've never seen an actual licensed Frazetta mini, does anyone know if any were ever made? That would be a really cool line.

I'll be posting some more pics of some upcoming sculpts in the next few days. Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

Jim

I've never seen an actual licensed Frazetta mini, does anyone know if any were ever made? That would be a really cool line.

Ral Partha did 2 Death Dealer miniatures back in the late 70's, but they called them Super Hero on Horse and Super Hero on Foot I think. So I doubt they had rights to do it. Cell Entertainment was supposed to have a Death Dealer skirmish level miniatures game out a couple of years ago but it never happened. I have a Darkwolf (from Fire and Ice) miniature, but nobody seems to know who made it - I am sure it was unlicensed. And finally, I have a gorgeous Death Dealer miniature that was a gift from a sculptor with his own line of figures - it was not licensed or for sale, just done as a gift for a few loyal customers - that I am currently working on and hope to have posted here soon!

Seeing what you have done so far I would love to see you do a Frazetta 25mm piece. I understand he is very demanding about licensed products though so you may not be able to do it "officially".

I just finished working for a company that did several licensed Frazetta pieces. It is a serious pain. Even though he retained the rights to all of his artwork, you will still get sued by the people who own the character's rights. Even if you don't refer to that character by name. Which means it is a double license situation, which is hard to coordinate. And if you do you are still paying two royalties instead of one. Cuts into profitablility.

By the way your stuff is good. How long have you been working in castilene?

Thanks,

I've been working with castilene for about 2 years. I started using it in place of supersculpy and I hav'nt looked back since. The one problem is that the sculpts are never permanent, so I've been using more epoxies lately like Magic sculpt and Greenstuff, and I hear Aves Apoxie sculpt is good as well,though I hav'nt tried that yet. I love working in Greenstuff, for the minis it really is alot of fun, especially since it's so tough. I'm used to having to be so carefull with sculptures but the little greens can really take a beating, it's great.

Jim

Magisculpt is too darn tacky

Aves mixed with greenstuff gives the best of both worlds. Aves can be sanded, but is brittle, greenstuff is hard to sand, but tough. Greenstuff when freshly mixed is real tacky and rubbery, but can be buffed as it cures. Aves can't be buffed, but it sculpts like clay when freshly mixed.

2 parts aves to 1 part GS gives a medium that sculpts like clay when freshly mixed, but is buffable as it hardens ( good for getting smooth armor ). When cured, it is still tough like GS, but sandable and carvable.

Try it!