New Painter... Already Obsessed

WhatsEcstacy

• Artists
On 4/28/2017 at 5:59 AM, Rob Dean said:

It also looks like you carefully edged or blacklined the colors on the orc. Was this a technique described in the kit? (I've been thinking about buying one for my significant other...)

The Core Skills kit includes the techniques of painting basecoats, washes, and drybrushing. The Layer Up! kit covers basecoats, layering, glazing, and darklining. I wrote both to be as accessible as possible to completely novice painters, but Core Skills is probably a little easier to start with. I also designed them to complement each other as much as possible in terms of paint colours and brushes, so it's two unique brushes in each kit, and none of the colours or figures are duplicated. 

These are terrific, great work! And I love how excited you are about painting!

• Like 6

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really beautiful work on the Orc, you have a ton of talent!

I have been doing work from the LTPK Layer Up set, and it is a really great next step from here if you are considering it.  I learned a lot from it and am enjoying the guidance but already feeling like exploring more options.  Any novice, such as I, looking to learn more should get the LTP kits

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

Really beautiful work on the Orc, you have a ton of talent!

I have been doing work from the LTPK Layer Up set, and it is a really great next step from here if you are considering it.  I learned a lot from it and am enjoying the guidance but already feeling like exploring more options.  Any novice, such as I, looking to learn more should get the LTP kits

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely thinking about picking up the Layer Up set. They are such a great deal it's hard to pass up! Can't emphasize this enough: If you are looking to get into painting pick up the kits! They are a great jumping off point! You rule Wren!

• Like 2

The orc looks great, you really nailed the transitions on the highlights and shading.  I'd be really happy to get a skin tone come out that nice. 

But those eyes...  They are OK as-is... but just "beginner-OK".  I kind of wish you had taken that risk and pushed yourself a little harder to see what you are capable of.  You could always paint back over them if you messed up and got the googly-eyed stare of doom.  :)  Even so, this is a great mini, especially for so early in your painting "career".

Love how you tied the undead minis together with just a little bit of that blue on each one, great idea.  They should look great working together as a bad-guy team on the (virtual) game table!

Kang