• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The key is putting down a dark brown. Dry brushing with a medium brown, dry brushing some more, dry brushing with a off white, dry brushing even more, dry brushing even more, and then dry brushing with some white. Then using some washes and glazes to bring the yellows and chestnut colors to come back. Then some army painter hard? Tone into the cracks and shadows, and then some carefully dry brushed highlights with a light yellowish color. There you go. But I don't remember the exact colors. 

• Like 9

Colors I know I like for wood

Old GW snakebite leather and vermin fur

Old GW chestnut wash 

(if you don't have them, check out coat d arms. I haven't tired them myself but I've heard they are the same company that made the old GW stuff I like. Been meaning to order a few of my colors that are now on their last legs.)

Reaper Russet brown

reaper griffon tan

Army painter strong tone

and any reddish to orangish to yellowish brown that I can mix with distilled water and Reaper brush on sealer till it's a nice even translucent color that I then can dap on spots on the mini and blend into other colors I just laid down, giving it a grainy effect.

Note the kind of Browns you want are colors that in some contexts read a Brown and others read as Red/orange/yellow.

• Like 7