Sign in to follow this  
Cyradis

02823: Rasia, w/Spiked Chain - A very angry lady

She looks fantastic!  I love the red trimming and accouterments and her face/eyes say "don't even think it..."  Love it!

• Like 1

Really like this mini and the attitude you can see in the face! Nice! 

I'm with you on the hair, I kinda wish it was some crazy color to match the attitude, but execution wise the hair looks good to me.

• Like 1

I like the highlights on the hair.

The daylight photography doesn't look too bad.  Do you have a portable mirror you could maybe set up on the other side to bounce some sunlight back on it from the other way?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I like the highlights on the hair.

The daylight photography doesn't look too bad.  Do you have a portable mirror you could maybe set up on the other side to bounce some sunlight back on it from the other way?  

I don't think I do, but I can look around and check. That's a good idea. Limited by time of day, but still workable. These pictures ended up over-bright in some areas, darker in others, compared to what she is in person. Maybe I can find some cheap lamps at Goodwill to use too. Hopefully with long plugs!

For her hair color, I actually think she'd artistically be better as a brunette. And that would have been easier to shade, being a more mid-range color. But to go with the character I have in my head, I wanted her blonde. 

• Like 1

Nothing to rip up; I think she looks very good.

The only minor improvement I can think of would be to try out some Tamiya clear red for the blood on her chain; the color you used looks way too much like the red on her armor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Nothing to rip up; I think she looks very good.

The only minor improvement I can think of would be to try out some Tamiya clear red for the blood on her chain; the color you used looks way too much like the red on her armor.

That is a rather astute observation... it is the same colors >.> Limited selection and all. Perhaps I should have mixed them a bit to differentiate them. How do the clear reds work? Are they similar to washes in transparency? 

• Like 1

They are a little thicker than a wash, and have some transparency, but not a whole lot.

I probably should have specified that Tamiya is a paint brand. It's made for use on model kits, but it works just as well on miniatures, at least IMO.

(I don't know how much you do or don't know about the hobby, my apologies if this is old news to you::):)

I have discovered that Tamiya clear red is transparent enough that when it's applied to anything that you might want to look bloody, it gives a very good effect. It dries a little glossy, so that helps, too.

You can also mix it with just a tiny bit of either black ink or with Tamiya smoke for a slightly darker (and less transparent) blood effect.

• Like 1

Huh, alright. A little bit of gloss is nice for blood, I think. I like blood bits a bit more opaque for fresh blood, but if it is old blood residue, more transparent would be good. My idea with this was to make it pretty darn fresh. This lady likes bashing in heads. 

Figured that Tamiya is a paint brand, just haven't seen it before. Also acrylic? 

• Like 1

So far as I know, Tamiya is a Japanese brand of solvent-based acrylic which needs a special thinner and good ventilation.

Take that with a grain of salt since I haven't used it.  The only Tamiya I own is a very good but very nasty plastic cement.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2

Good ventilation is not something I have available in my painting area right now. Basement, tiny window outside. Desk stuck in a corner in a cramped room. I don't even know where the vent is in the room for heating. Best that I keep away from nasty thinners until I am in a better location. 

• Like 1

Tamiya paints thin out ok with just plain old water (at least I've never experienced any issues with doing so). They do have a distinctive odor, but it's not that bad IMO.

• Like 2

Nicely done - she does look very angry indeed!

My photography setup is cheap & very much "Heath Robinson" (interested readers not from the UK may need to Google him! ::):), if you saw it you'd probably think whaaaaaat..... it comprises of a modified cardboard box, a large sheet of mid grey mounting paper from a craft shop for the background & a strip of bright white light LED's powered by it's own transformer thingy bought from Amazon.

I think your photography is great but if I was to offer some advice on taking pics, I would say:

1. Use a mid tone coloured background not white. I use a large sheet of grey mounting paper, I sit the mini at the near (camera) end & let the far end curve up to a vertical position taped to a wall or something. So when you focus the camera on the mini, the background kind of fades of softly.

2. Photograph in the dark.

3. Don't use a flash.

4. Do use the camera's "macro" setting & get as close to the mini as possible without incurring any "out of focus" issues.

5. Buy an affordable white/daylight LED mini spotlight (or 2 or 3 if you can afford more) & light the mini generally from above & behind the camera taking care not to cast your own or the camera's shadows onto the mini - this should help to help hide the shadows a bit (more so with more lights from different angles!)

6. Crop your pics afterwards to remove excess around the edge of your mini using whatever software you have (I just use "Photos" on Windows).

I hope this is helpful! ::):

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TheOldGuard said:

Nicely done - she does look very angry indeed!

My photography setup is cheap & very much "Heath Robinson" (interested readers not from the UK may need to Google him! ::):), if you saw it you'd probably think whaaaaaat..... it comprises of a modified cardboard box, a large sheet of mid grey mounting paper from a craft shop for the background & a strip of bright white light LED's powered by it's own transformer thingy bought from Amazon.

I think your photography is great but if I was to offer some advice on taking pics, I would say:

1. Use a mid tone coloured background not white. I use a large sheet of grey mounting paper, I sit the mini at the near (camera) end & let the far end curve up to a vertical position taped to a wall or something. So when you focus the camera on the mini, the background kind of fades of softly.

2. Photograph in the dark.

3. Don't use a flash.

4. Do use the camera's "macro" setting & get as close to the mini as possible without incurring any "out of focus" issues.

5. Buy an affordable white/daylight LED mini spotlight (or 2 or 3 if you can afford more) & light the mini generally from above & behind the camera taking care not to cast your own or the camera's shadows onto the mini - this should help to help hide the shadows a bit (more so with more lights from different angles!)

6. Crop your pics afterwards to remove excess around the edge of your mini using whatever software you have (I just use "Photos" on Windows).

I hope this is helpful! ::):

It is indeed helpful! My lightbox is kinda a cardboard box with some sheer translucent plastic on three sides for the sake of diffusing outside light. I would have preferred a gray sheet, but my options were a too-blotchy blue paper, printer paper, and butterfly fabric unless I wanted to spend a few more hours searching the house today.

The lighting was terrible to work with here though. Could you link me the LEDs on Amazon that you use? Having those on the box would be great! I didn't use the flash on these ones, but sometimes the sun was out and sometimes behind clouds, and it was rather directly through the window instead of overhead. 

I was playing with my phone camera, as it is pretty snazzy for a phone. I have an old Nikon with a macro lens for which I'll have to find the charger. That's what I used way-back-when for my profile picture. 

How much are LED mini spotlights? Or perhaps better question.... got an idea on wattage on them? I am pretty cool with building my own circuit if I can get the raw parts cheaper (resistors, LEDS, wire, battery and cases, switch). Haven't had a good home craft engineering project in a while! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Tamiya paints thin out ok with just plain old water (at least I've never experienced any issues with doing so). They do have a distinctive odor, but it's not that bad IMO.

That's because it might not raise above your distinctive odor. 

--

Tamiya is a good choice, but also if you have any gloss varnish. Reaper makes a gloss sealer I use sometimes to put a shine on things. It is water soluable as well. As an option if you do not want to go with Tamiya.