This is the first figure that I completed when I came back from my hiatus. I'd done his eyeballs and a tiny bit of his snout before the hiatus, then completed him after. Bonus - facial recognition catches both of the human heads as faces, hah! 

Title has 1/3 because the package has 3 frogmen in it. 

Again, still suffering on the photography side, but it is improved from just the paint table. 

The green shading and his throat went really well. The dragonfly "meh". His clothing "meh". But hey, was dusting off the brushes. The scarab on his staff went really well, but the photos don't really catch it. 

I imagine this frog leading a Green Power rally, then inciting the frogs to slay any non-amphibian in their site. I think I counted 5 species in what he is holding or wearing. He's a villainous slimeball. 

Image may contain: 1 person

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Cyradis
Clarifying title
  • Like 18
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the colors!  There look to be a lot of fun details on this one.  Nice job on the alternating colors in the feather (hair?) headdress and other dangly bits. Will you do different colored frogs for the other two?

I think I counted 5 species in what he is holding or wearing. He's a villainous slimeball. 

It's not easy being green.

• Like 1

I need to strip one of them. It has old enamel on it, then went to the "do later" bin. It has been there for at least ten years. The third is still fresh. Not sure if I will vary the color or not. I like the red eyed tree frog a lot for the color contrast between body and eyes, and it would be a well unifying thing for them. But it may also be fun to play with slightly different schemes like poison dart frogs. Are poison dart frogs quite as leggy as the red eyed tree frogs? 

I admit your frog-fu is stronger than mine. Dunno much about the difference between poison dart and red eyed tree.  But Google agrees that the latter look much longer legged.  

What at about doing the same style of from with the same skin, but the next one wears war-paint?  

• Like 1

Oooh I like the war paint idea. Or maybe frog tattoos. What is the most awful sort of thing I could give a frog as a tattoo, but awesome from a frog PoV? 

May we both improve our frog-fu, and our frogs shall take over the world. 

And ooh, I don't know if it showed up in the photos, but one thing on his throat pouch that I think really helped - do thin streaks of green over the yellow, for veining, then glaze over it with yellow to make it subtle. I then shaded the yellow with yellow-oranges at the edges. Was a fun challenge. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Oooh I like the war paint idea. Or maybe frog tattoos. What is the most awful sort of thing I could give a frog as a tattoo, but awesome from a frog PoV? 

May we both improve our frog-fu, and our frogs shall take over the world. 

And ooh, I don't know if it showed up in the photos, but one thing on his throat pouch that I think really helped - do thin streaks of green over the yellow, for veining, then glaze over it with yellow to make it subtle. I then shaded the yellow with yellow-oranges at the edges. Was a fun challenge. 

Looks awesome!

As for Frog tattoos, I think a Spider or a Serpent would be something a Frog would both fear and think off as cool!

Interested in amphibians/reptiles and Dinos???

Take a look at my Lost world project ( see sig) these frogs would fit right in..

• Like 1

Your Lost World Project looks fantastic. The frogs indeed would fit right in! 

Hmm. Spiders are food for frogs. Perhaps a serpent. 

Maybe a frog skull? Similar to gang style tattoos? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Your Lost World Project looks fantastic. The frogs indeed would fit right in! 

Hmm. Spiders are food for frogs. Perhaps a serpent. 

Maybe a frog skull? Similar to gang style tattoos? 

Depends on the spider:

And the Gang style frog skull tattoo would be great!

Spoiler

thumb-1375830462888-dsc_3985.jpg

• Like 1

Looked back at the throat pouch and I think I see it in the second pic.  Very cool.  And what planning!

So, psychologizing the frog tattoo idea (that is a word right?  I use it all the time)...

Some folks like the skulls and death theme for tats.  But the frog version of a grim reaper is probably like a heron or something.  So a badelf frog might sport something like this:

image.jpg.ecaa154ce7341e73b38489df439c5085.jpg

Instead of the heart with MOM in it, they might pay homage to their upbringing by sporting a tat of some frog spawn.  Not very artistic though.  What about a close up of an egg with unhatched tadpole in there kind of in a yin-yang design?  

I see nothing wrong with a nice butterfly tattoo though it probably sends a very different message for frogs.  They are also active and noisy at night in the summer so maybe a nice big moon and some stars?  

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.