Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other - May

Question the 16th of May: What is one type of food that you wish was more available in your local area?

Chicken Orange...I ate it while in the USA..strangely enough not available in the Netherlands.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 16th of May: What is one type of food that you wish was more available in your local area?

While it's nowhere near NYC, where @David Brawley lives, I live in an urban area with a lot of food options, and am within easy mass-transit distance of the nearest major city. There are a lot of things I would kinda-sorta like to see within a 10-15 minute walk of my home, but it feels strange to complain. I mean, why does the good Korean place have to be 20 minutes away, on foot. Why can't it be 10, like the friendly Mediterranean place? ::P: #NotEvenFirstWorldProblems

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Have to go with Korean. Years ago we had a nice Korean eatery in a neighboring town, but it only lasted for a few months. Even though it was good it wasn't popular enough to stay in business, so the owners switched it into a bad sushi restaurant. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

Chicken Orange...I ate it while in the USA..strangely enough not available in the Netherlands.

It does seem like orange dishes would make sense in the Netherlands. Very historically apropos :poke:

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

It does seem like orange dishes would make sense in the Netherlands. Very historically apropos :poke:

We have more..

Spoiler

e8eb25f9-d7c5-4f5f-a5c6-07acc3fa89aa.png

oranje-koeken-koningsdag.jpg

da1518fb2d225b8e0661a63ece636da0.jpg

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

We have more..

Reveal hidden contents

e8eb25f9-d7c5-4f5f-a5c6-07acc3fa89aa.png

oranje-koeken-koningsdag.jpg

da1518fb2d225b8e0661a63ece636da0.jpg

I know I've said this before, but...

I really need to visit the Netherlands some day soon.

• Like 7

Thats an odd question and something i never considered. I live 60 miles from nearest city and dont usually eat out. I used to cook as a part time job so any dish I really want I just cook.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Pretzels. Nobody really seems to do big soft pretzels over here.

That, and buffalo wings.

• Like 5

Döner. I got suckered into this in Munich, and /you cannot get it here/. Cannot!

Every so often, I /really really want one/, and you can't get them.

*grump*

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Dai-Mongar said:

Pretzels. Nobody really seems to do big soft pretzels over here.

That, and buffalo wings.

I don't know that I would be able to survive without buffalo wings.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Argentine BBQ

The all you can eat type 

Lords of Lead, the meat....

Is Argentine BBQ the kind of place where they give you the Red/Green card and just keep bringing meat as long as the green side is up?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Argentine BBQ

The all you can eat type 

Lords of Lead, the meat....

Good point.

We have several good Brazilian places around here (Greater Boston has substantial Portuguese and Brazilian populations), but I am unaware of any place to get Argentine cuisine.

I hope you're happy. I didn't know I was missing it until now!::P:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

2 hours ago, RouterMike said:

What I really want to see though, is genuine (Substitute any nationality here) food.

I've been to a lot of different places while I was in the Navy, and I've eaten a lot of different things. What I want is to be able to get the real thing here, not an Americanized version of it.

• Like 10

On 5/15/2017 at 11:27 AM, Reaperbryan said:

After spending the last hour dealing with KS backers who apparently couldn't be bothered at any time in the previous 19 MONTHS to fill out their pledges (PM was open for 9 months. Then, for the 10 month period following that, we opened a private instance of the PM for each backer that contacted us having missed the first 9 months) and having to tell all of them that it is too late, we've already sent out over 2,000 orders and I cannot take the chance that you adding one more order* to the stack will upset our planning and cause cascading supply problems across 3 warehouses, am in no mood to be ANYBODY's role model. I want to smash things with the heaviest sledgehammer I can find. Right now, if i was in the Arena with Thor and Hulk, I'd feel confident I could take them. Honestly, at the moment, I think I could dominate the entire red lantern Corps. 

I'm a little irritated.

*(over two dozen "one more orders") Because it's not JUST YOU, Random KS Backer who sat for nearly two years and DID NOTHING. It's all of your spiritual cousins who also did nothing and care nothing for whether you upset the apple cart as long as you get to simultaneously ignore directions and also still get your way.

An excellent example of why I don't do customer service.  I recommend against smashing things with a sledgehammer. It's not the things fault.  Smash the backers instead.

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I would settle for most anything beyond the typical Americana cuisine.  If I really want something different there is a town about an hour away with some variety, but in the time it would take to drive there, order, and drive back I can cook a lot of different things.

• Like 6