Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Fat Dragon Ravenfell Buildings

I need to to take a village with me to Huzzah in Maine in two weeks, to use in a 40mm Renaissance game. My collaborator and I have used somewhat underscale

buildings for 40mm battle games before, so I thought this would be a good excuse to get some Fold-flat buildings from Fat Dragon done. 

IMG_2129.thumb.JPG.a6eaeb7401dc96e495d21c403273dc9b.JPG

The building on the left is a basic 4x4

square, which I built a year or so back. The three stir one on the right is new today. Some of my 40s are here to give

me an idea whether this looks right. 

IMG_2132.thumb.JPG.3ee012794b7f5c55e7bcdbc89605dd77.JPG

Here's a view of the bigger one, each story extending a bit more...

IMG_2133.thumb.JPG.997d313bb5e3f3ff7b681df1aead561b.JPG

Once I had warmed up, doing another 4x4 small building, with a slightly different layer

choice in the printing, only took about 45 minutes. 

I've three more already printed out today, so I'm hoping to get this finished this weekend. 6 should be enough for this game...

• Like 18

The buildings really are LOVELY. They should show off your miniatures in FINE fashion. Enjoy Huzzah!

Here's the fourth building in progress. I still need one more chimney and four dormers for it. The additions, by the way, don't flatten, so the town isn't quite going to fit into an envelope. It should fit into a fairly flat box, though, and all of the three-d add on bits (chimneys, dormers, extensions) are optional. The dormer atachment slots, for example, don't stand out in this picture. 

IMG_2135.thumb.JPG.be0cc499abd13a9de5a416def8b35086.JPG

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 9

Those are some pretty nice looking buildings.

How do they stand up to being broken down and put back together again?

Edited by Chaoswolf
asked ?

I've had the small one for a year and a half, I guess, and have used it for practice quite a few times until I was fairly fast...I'm using 110 lb cardstock, and guess that failure will be from fatigue at a crease. I guess I should try bending a piece back and forth for a while to see. 

IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.f9a0497de285f2a37488f496e4f2d09b.JPG

Here are the dormers for the 4th building. 

• Like 9

Excellent!  Yeah, transportation and storage are major concerns for me, so the "fold-flat" aspect got my attention right away.  I'd love to see however you manage to package it all for the game.  (I.e., "All of this {picture of buildings} fits into ... THIS {picture of an itty-bitty container of some sort}."  ;)  )

They look very nice. :wub:

I haven't printed out my own yet because my own printer cannot handle card stock. It's only now that I've realized that I can print them out on regular paper and glue them on card stock after for the extra rigidity. It's bit more work, but it beats buying a new printer, and cheaper than the professional printers that would charge a hefty price for color printed card stock.

Edited by Cranky Dog

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

They look very nice. :wub:

I haven't printed out my own yet because my own printer cannot handle card stock. It's only now that I've realized that I can print them out on regular paper and glue them on card stock after for the extra rigidity. It's bit more work, but it beats buying a new printer, and cheaper than the professional printers that would charge a hefty price for color printed card stock.

I'd recommend buying a can of spray adhesive.  It'll make it much easier and neater to attach the paper to cardstock.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      So, I invoke the 3 foot rule on these; one could go back and forth forever attempting to edge half-timbered buildings.

I have been idly working on new scenery since the pandemic, and finished two more buildings plus a well I bought a few months ago.  (That’s lightning speed compared to some projects.)  These are sold on Amazon by some outfit called Ender Toys.  I picked up a group of four, and a second group of two, some fences and the well.  

If these are an example of what I could get at home, I’m not rushing out to get a printer to wrestle with.  The filament lines are pretty distinct close up.

However, they are light and didn’t take all that long to paint, so I think they will be fine in a game.

I posted the earlier buildings plus some tree bases in this thread: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/92205-tree-group-bases/

The overall building collection now looks like this, including a Battle Masters tower:

My crystal ball says there is a skirmish game in my near future...
    • By Weird-O
      Technically these belong here, as the masts are painted.

The rest is printed paper and thread, from War Artisan.

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      A repurposing of what was once an innocent craft store decoration into the abode of witches and their minions.

What horror dwells within...

Willow Greenivy and friends emerge to traumatize the trick or treaters. 
    • By KruleBear
      Seeing the nice results on different wip's using "N" scale Outland Models buildings for CAV terrain, I picked up a few kits myself....and I actually finished one! This is the train railway modern garage / logistic center. I was shooting for a fairly new concrete precast type building. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I used mostly sponge stiling to achieve the look.  Here it is with one of my best painted CAV for scale ( he is in the classic B&W T.V. Camo pattern ).

Now for the problems....I was able to get a nice sky / earth effect on the window panes, but it does't even show in the photos. Next one I will probably use brighter colors for the sky and earth reflection. The decal on the roof was also a big fail. I tried a method of rubbing the ink off of a printed page as shown on the Baremetal YouTube videos. That was a failure. I used an inkjet printer and I suspect he used a laser printer which would explain the problem I ran over. I was partially successful in hiding the problem by printing out a badge from the CAV kickstarter and varnishing it to the roof. The center of the badge was cut out and I stipled blue in the cutout. Lastly my clumsy hands broke several assembly pins while assembly the building with all the paint on it...so superglue came to the rescue! 

Anyways C&C is welcome.

-MIKE
    • By Darsc Zacal
      EDIT: Kickstarter is now Live!

"Hi everyone, we are back - and with a brand new Kickstarter!
      Later this week we are launching a Kickstarter featuring Viking and Anglo-Saxon ships, buildings and accessories - and we wanted to get the word out.

Yes...more ships! During the Kickstarter we'll be making some of our older ships and popular models available for a limited time as well as the new ones. Same designs - but now unpainted.
      To recap on our history: Last year we closed up our webstore and decided to pretty much quit making models. But after some thought we came up with the idea for a "Model of the Month" (MoTM) - evolve to go forward! Each month we make a brand new model available for purchase - we take orders, build and ship exactly that number, then "retire" the kit and move on to something else on the next month.
      We have been slowly building up customers and getting the word out there. Some models did better than others but what was clear to us was that we still enjoyed making models, just at a more relaxed pace. Only doing one model a month was way more enjoyable and because we could mass-produce more efficiently - it's also a better business model for us.
      Renaissance Miniatures has never been our bread and butter. We do okay on Model-of-the-Month and Kickstarters but the webstore was always more pain than gain.
      Then came our small Viking ship as one of our MoTM offerings. Vikings was a genre we had never done before but our ship models are always a favorite of customers. So, rather than spinning them out over months - lo and behold: A new Kickstarter featuring what a lot of people know us for..ships!

The Model of the Month is on hold right now while we get the Kickstarter running - but it'll start up again in a couple of months. But for now, the Viking Kickstarter is the main priority. Getting the models made and sent out to backers as quickly as possible.
      So please join us next week and follow along. Give us some feedback and lets make this fun again. We love talking with you guys. And we love having our models be involved with your enjoyment of tabletop gaming. Now....lets play!
      If all goes well, we'll launch the new Kickstarter on the 9th (this coming Friday)"
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)