Sign in to follow this  
MojoBob

1980s Essex Foot Soldier

You did an OUTSTANDING paint job on the Old Soldier...another trip down Memory Lane. Your brushwork & color choices are excellent; AND his face is WONDERFULLY expressive. VERY NICELY DONE!

That is really a beautiful paint job on a mini that is quite hilarious. I like the exaggerated face, you really gave this mini a new life in the 21st century.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MojoBob
      This is my latest terrain piece for my tabletop games, a small gorge. It's about 300 x 150 mm, and at its deepest the gorge is about 30 mm deep.

It's not wide enough for vehicles in any scale larger than 6mm or 10-12mm. Maybe a jeep in 15mm, certainly nothing larger. There's just enough of a bend in it that you can't see right through from end to end.

I suspect that the rock formations would make geologists clench their fists and grind their teeth, but fortunately, I'm not a geologist.

• By Rob Dean
      So here's my final for this unexpected snow day.  Three stands go to the Dux Bellorum project, which I hope to play with this weekend, and the two on the right are part of the vintage Minifigs Middle Earth war bands  project.  As the Soviets are supposed to have said, quantity has a quality of its own...

• By Rob Dean
      I expect this is going to be a long-running WIP thread.  My intention is to convert this heap of vintage lead into war games armies to allow me to field forces for a variety of Tolkien situations, using only vintage Minifigs.  For those who are younger than me, Minifigs produced this line of Tolkien-inspired figures starting in 1972, and, as far as we've ever been able to determine, it was the first range of specifically fantasy miniatures ever produced.  They were the first that I bought as well, and I will freely admit that this is a nostalgia project.

I posted a batch of finished elves this morning.  Here's what I have left to do: two elf riders, an elf king to form a second command stand, 14 elf swordsmen, and 9 elf bowmen (three of whom have lost arrows and one who's been redone as a standard bearer for the command stand.)

For the era of the Battle of the Five Armies, they have some dwarf allies.  Here's a dozen, representing all three stock numbers that were produced.  Each stock number was a strip of two.  I have a batch of seven already finished and based.

Minifigs did not issue any specific Lakemen, nor, for that matter, any specific Rohirrim on foot.  For the Five Armies-era humans, I'll have to reach into the historical and use some figures from their NS (Norman/Saxon) range with round shields.  I've got about three dozen available with which to work.  They should also serve as dismounted Rohirrim when needed.

Beorn and Gandalf are also available, and a token eagle...

To continue with the good guys, there were two catalog numbers of actual mounted Rohirrim.  I have two completed so far, and about 22 available, including a few Later Romans or similar Dark Ages figures which blend well.  A few spare horses remain to be found.

The Gondorians were represented by five different figures, a citadel guardsman, two rangers of Ithilien, a spearman, a swordsman, and a foot knight.  I've got at least a dozen of each, plus a total of two dozen of ME53 and 54, Rangers of the North.

The Dark Lord's forces can be lead by the imposing squadron of flying Nazgul, of which I have four:

I have 18 wargs (plus a few already finished), but only two of the goblin riders:

Large orcs came in three poses, with sword, axe or spear.  I've got about 85 to be done:

Smaller orcs came in four poses, a bowman, a swordsman without shield, a swordsman with shield, and a well equipped armored goblin with shield, spear and bow.  Of that latter, I've only got a handful, all completed.  Of the first three, I've got about seventy from a recent purchase:

There is also one pose of little goblins.  I finished a few of them last month.  I've got more, but they are sitting in paint stripper at the moment.

Sauron's human allies were represented by four poses of figures; there was a Haradrim spearman and a mounted lancer, of which I've got about 30 and 5 respectively:

There was also a Southern spearman and a mounted swordsman.  I only have a token 3 of the spearmen, so they won't be a unit on their own, but I do have nine of the mounted swordsmen, so they can be.

Last, I have a hobbit militia of about a dozen, plus a couple of mounted hobbits.  The foot hobbits came in strips of three, and one strip is much easier to find than the other...

My basic plan is going to be to play these with Dragon Rampant, which generally uses units of six mounted or twelve foot figures, with provision for heroes and large monsters as exceptions.  However, some of the teams will be big enough that I could use Chaos Wars (also in sixes and twelves), and I expect that an actual Battle of the Five Armies game my brother and I have been discussing will take every orc/goblin that we have painted.

Edit: Ooops!  Forgot the Dunlendings; there are enough of them to make a unit, and given Saruman's forces a bit of distinctiveness...

• By Pingo
      This is from the latest Randomness thread (I can’t seem to quote directly into a “Create New Topic” page):

Notes are cribbed from Wikipedia and other places because I am not an expert on this music. I just enjoy it.

I expect to add more songs later. Here’s one of my favorites first.

Ríu Ríu Chíu
      (Spanish, 16th century)

Notes (cribbed from online sources):

This is a Spanish villancico (a type of song popular between the 15th and 18th centuries) attributed to Mateo Flecha the Elder (d. 1553). It is known from a single manuscript presently in Uppsala, published in 1556. The Monkees, of all people, did a cover of it (this is not that version).

The phrase Ríu Ríu Chíu is said to be the cry of an attacking Kingfisher guarding the riverbank from wolves (Sorry, Glitterwolf and Chaoswolf ...).

Lyrics:

Riu, riu, chiu
      la guarda ribera /
      Dios guardó el lobo
      de nuestra cordera /
      Dios guardó el lobo
      de nuestra cordera.

El lobo rabioso
      la quiso morder /
      Mas Dios Poderoso
      la supo defender /
      Quizo la hacer que
      no pudiese pecar /
      Ni aun original
      esta virgen no tuviera.

Riu, riu, chiu...

Este que es nascido
      es El Gran Monarca /
      Cristo Patriarca
      de carne vestido /
      Ha nos redimido
      con se hacer chiquito /
      Aunque era infinito
      finito se hiciera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

Este viene a dar
      a los muertos vida /
      Y viene a reparar
      de todos la caida /
      Es la luz del dia
      aqueste Moçuelo /
      Este es el Cordero
      que San Juan dijera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

Yo vi mil Garzones
      que andavan cantando /
      Por aqui volando
      haciendo mil sones /
      Diciendo a gascones
      Gloria sea en el Cielo /
      Y paz en el suelo
      pues Jesus nasciera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

Pues que ya tenemos
      lo que deseamos /
      Todos juntos vamos
      presentes llevemos /
      Todos le daremos
      nuestra voluntad /
      Pues a se igualar
      con nosotros viniera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

English translation:

Riu, riu, chiu
      The river bank is protected
      God has kept the wolf
      From our ewe lamb
      God has kept the wolf
      From our ewe lamb

The rabid wolf
      Wanted to bite her
      But Almighty God
      Knew how to defend her
      He willed to make her
      Unable to sin
      Even original sin
      This virgin did not have

Riu, riu, chiu...

The one who is born
      Is the Great Monarch
      Christ the Patriarch
      Clothed in flesh
      He has redeemed us
      By making himself small
      Though he was infinite
      He became finite

Riu, riu, chiu...

He comes to give
      Life to the dead
      He comes to repair
      The fall of all mankind
      This Child
      Is the light of day
      He is the Lamb
      Of whom St. John spoke

Riu, riu, chiu...

I saw a thousand Angels
      Who were singing
      Flying around
      Chanting in a thousand voices
      Saying to the shepherds
      Glory in Heaven
      And peace on earth
      For Jesus is born

Riu, riu, chiu...

Now we have
      What we desire
      Let us go together
      To present him gifts
      Let us all give him
      Our will
      For he came
      As our equal

Riu, riu, chiu...

• By kristof65
      It's been 6 years since I last played a sci-fi table top game in 28mm.  Wondering what is out there BESIDES 40k these days? What are you playing and/or what do you recommend?

My favorite in the past were 40k 2e and Necromunda.  I prefer more skirmish level, and capable of handling multiple players/sides. 
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)