So with my ongoing RPG game heading into a new chapter, one that has a rather extensive focus on trolls, it was only right that I start painting up some of everyone's favorite regenerating, pyrophobes. 

Trolls!.thumb.jpg.436ce01896d482a4b8b876e2bd84ea5f.jpg

So starting out with (from left to right) Lardgulp 2Headed Troll 02657 by S. Garrity, Bones Marsh Troll 77152 by J Wiebe, and the Bones Cave Troll 77004 by B. Siens.  As you can see, the cave troll has already received a layer of blue liner to prepare for the rest of the paint job and has had his broccoli cut off to prepare for a rebasing (which will be a first ever attempt for me for this particular style of base.  I do have another cave troll that might get added to this thread if time permits.  I also have some Hordes trollbloods that will be used in the campaign as well, but will create a separate thread for them since they are a completely different company.  Hoping to make some good progress on the cave troll at least today, though it is absolutely gorgeous outside, so will have to see.  :)

• Like 11

*cheers for troll painting*

I will be interested to see how you handle the bones and metal differently.  And it's nice to see the blue liner on a bones for comparison with the more often seen brown liner.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

*cheers for troll painting*

I will be interested to see how you handle the bones and metal differently.  And it's nice to see the blue liner on a bones for comparison with the more often seen brown liner.

Heh, hopefully you won't be too disappointed since I'm very much a beginner, but C&C will always be welcome.  As for the blue liner, the main reason I chose that (over the brown and grey that I also have) is that Mr. Cave Troll is getting a blue skin treatment.  Not prototypical I realize, but it does align with the "official" scheme of the Trollblood Hordes faction and I figured he was a good candidate to test that out on (read: a lot cheaper :p).

Pretty much just got the base coat of the skin done yesterday (which took a surprising amount of layers) before the call of the beautiful weather distracted me. 

591060f657bf7_cavetroll.thumb.jpg.d9b8391b5f5b8f6e6a870766315de830.jpg

Sorry for the crummy pic, but just a quick snap with the phone since there wasn't much to show.

• Like 7

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  Didn't get a chance to work on him tonight as I was instead beginning work on prepping other models since I didn't have a lot of time.  Hoping to at least get the skin on the cave troll worked up a bit more tomorrow.

I'll be following this with interest.  Once I carve out a little painting time I've got the metal version of the cave troll in the On Deck Box.  I have Lardgulp too, which I think is a really cool mini, but I'm waiting a little longer to paint him.  (Them?)

• Like 1

So most of last night was spent priming the three trolls from the Hordes Two Player Battle Box, but I did get a chance to get a little bit of work on this guy done.  Added some shades and highlights to the skin.  Honestly, the back looks better to me than the front, so will have to see if I want to touch up the skin a bit more or not.  I'm thinking I may work on his assorted warts and boils first though as once those are painted up it should also help with the contrast on the skin.  Sadly, going out of town tonight so may be a few days before I get a chance to work on him some more, but will see.

Back.thumb.jpg.b8d4a76a8c6956a6bf57e4aa64b17a71.jpg

Front.thumb.jpg.b87647cb013518aa26e0fcc5e63db573.jpg

As always, C&C are most welcome, I'm always on the look out for new ideas, processes, etc. and am sufficiently new at this that even the obvious may not be so obvious to me.  :P

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

After an overly long hiatus do to work and starting on my Hordes 2 Player Battle Box I finally got back to work on these guys this weekend.  Didn't get a lot accomplished, but slow and steady and all.

593ecb772d865_TrollFront.thumb.jpg.5c3a51a69bdac2ab0dd4598175247fa9.jpg

593ecb918148b_TrollBack.thumb.jpg.147f975e1793141f138b6ae1fbf83a68.jpg

I reminded myself why I am supposed to do the eyes first!  As you can see doing the eyes on this guy got a bit sloppy so I will need to touch up his face a bit.  I also got the loin cloth pretty much finished and started in on his hair and teeth.  All in all he's coming along pretty nicely, as he seems to be a fairly quick and easy mini to paint (a nice breather after the PP models which are beautiful but very detailed).  

I also got Lardguulp primed and did some gap filling on the marsh troll, so they'll be ready to get started on shortly.

As always thanks for looking and any and all C&C are most welcome!

• Like 7

So sometimes everything just goes wrong on a model.  Ended up doing a lot more work on this guy this weekend than I intended mainly because I didn't like how it was coming out.  Tried making his zits/boils/whatever red and it didn't look good (imho).  Tried to glaze over them with the base skin color to dull it down a bit, and still didn't work.  So went back and started from scratch on them.  Then the skin still didn't look good imho so I tried to deepen the shadows with some Agrax Earthshade and I think it did okay, but not great.  Oh, and along the way I also managed to knock over a nearly full paint pot.  Fortunately it was on my cutting mat and completely contained therein, but still.  It just became one annoyance after another.  In the end, I think I have him at a playable state, which is fine by me.  There are parts of this mini I like and I am taking a lot of this as a learning experience, so its not a complete loss.  As such I am mostly done with him, but am going to base him now, trying to add some snow (which will also be a first for me).  I figure at this point its a good figure to experiment on, especially as affordable as it is.  

Next up I'll be tackling the Marsh troll.  Laardgulp has me a bit concerned as the details are a bit hard for me to see, so saving him for last.  :)

59483ff460851_TrollFront.thumb.jpg.8b191478e1c4d40c9054dbe1d03f3e63.jpg

59484007367be_Trollback.thumb.jpg.81c5da9a4c6ea288d0f22e60425faf21.jpg

I'm not super happy with the skin by any means, but my big problem I think is that I am just not good at blending the highlights for some reason.  The shades seem to blend better but I just haven't yet gotten the hang of the highlights.  I really need to work on 2BB I think, so will be trying that on the Marsh Troll.

As always thanks for looking and please let me know what you think, especially any areas you think I can improve on.  Although I called him largely done, I don't mind going back to him if there's a way to improve on him!

• Like 5