Sign in to follow this  
lowlylowlycook

What historical rules are people playing?

On 7/13/2017 at 2:39 PM, Lars Porsenna said:

The PF has 2 missile rails & an air search radar (longer nosecone) with no guns, whereas the Bis has 4 missile rails, longer nosecone, gun pod, & saddle tank bulge, so a few differences. I know some people are like "well MiG-21, good enough for me!" but there are enough visual differences here, like fielding M4s when you should have M4A3E8s...

I believe Raiden has -F-13s available, which would work for early Vietnam scenarios...

Damon.

Have you checked out "C in C" miniatures?

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Have you checked out "C in C" miniatures?

No pics and no description beyond "MiG-21" so I have no idea what I would get!

Damon.

Edited by Lars Porsenna

On 7/13/2017 at 0:39 PM, Lars Porsenna said:

The PF has 2 missile rails & an air search radar (longer nosecone) with no guns, whereas the Bis has 4 missile rails, longer nosecone, gun pod, & saddle tank bulge, so a few differences. I know some people are like "well MiG-21, good enough for me!" but there are enough visual differences here, like fielding M4s when you should have M4A3E8s...

I believe Raiden has -F-13s available, which would work for early Vietnam scenarios...

Damon.

I found a MiG 21PFM in 1/285th scale on Shapeways, would that foot the bill? The Designer is Arctic Skunk

• Like 2

I hope a little thread necromancy is acceptable.  Since it’s January, I went through my game records to see what I actually played last year.  Of the 45 miniatures games I participated in (played or gamemastered), it looks like 19 were historical, if one will accept 18th century imagi-nations as being history rather than fantasy. 

Of the 19, 13 (?!) were the aforementioned imagi-nations, the same figures being played with three different sets of rules: A Gentleman’s War by Howard Whitehouse (9 games); With MacDuff to the Frontier, home rules by my friend Ross Macfarlane (3 games); and one game with Charge! (Peter Young, 1967), the rules for which the figures are primarily organized.  I also ran 1 54mm medieval skirmish game using Medieval Mayhem, my own home rules. I was in 1 25mm Dark Ages skirmish game using Saga (1st edition), and 1 25mm Dark Ages battle game using a different collection of figures with Dan Mersey’s Dux Bellorum rules from Osprey.  At conventions and club meetings I was also in three other random historical games using rules and figures I don’t own.   

In the late fall, my younger son picked up a copy of Phil Barker’s De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA) 3.0, since he was considering reviving a medieval Spanish (i.e. El Cid) project, and wanted to keep it manageable in his grad student space and budget.  I’m not sure that he’s picked up a paint brush yet, but my elder son and I also got copies of the rules (to update our DBA 1.0), and have been starting to revive a 13th C BC Egypt/Hittite/enemies project in 1/72 scale plastic.  We usually play a fair bit of Hordes of the Things, the related fantasy rules, although not too much last year as we were preoccupied with A Gentleman’s War.

I painted at least some figures for several of the historical projects, 40mm imagi-nations, 40mm French Revolution to be used with A Gentleman’s War, 25mm early Dark Ages for Dux Bellorum, and 25mm later Dark Ages for Saga.  I’ve been working on 1/72 scale Egyptians etc. this week, and need to get back to the French Revolution.  I’ve also got one stray stand of 3 Dux Bellorum horsemen on my desk.  

• Like 4

I checked my game logs on BoardGameGeek for last year. It was a banner year for games and painting for me. 58 total games played across all genre. 20 of them I consider historical.

The most common were Flames of War and 2nd Fleet. FoW is a miniatures game, but 2nd Fleet is a hex-n-counter game.  Though I have considered "miniaturizing" 2nd Fleet with 1/285th size ships and a custom map. It could make for a very striking convention game.

Although, I painted more this year than ever before, I am still woefully behind on my collection. And, predictably, I'm backing the Bones V kickstarter. Because I'm a crazy miniature gamer.

For 2020, I expect to be playing alot of Saga both Age of Vikings and Age of Magic. I'm on the staff of MillenniumCon and we will be hosting the World Championship of Saga in November. I look forward to getting a bunch of practice games in and hopefully find a spot on a team for the championships.

• Like 5