77172: Malek Necromancer (New to Painting)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you have the basics of washing and drybrushing down, these are solid paint jobs. This guy would look great on the gaming table.

But you asked how to improve. I would say the main thing is to increase the contrast between light and dark. For example, by doing a targeted wash in the folds of his cloak, where it would be very dark. Also instead of drybrushing to get the highlights, try layering where you gradually build up the bright highlights using thin coats of lighter paint.

• Like 2

Nice mini overall. If i am to nit pick, i would say the cloak looks very flat with little contrast among the folds. You may try any number of things in this case. A strightforeward way would be to add a brown or green to the main colour, water it down and glaze the deep folds to give it more shadows. this would give the raised folds  a little pop as you have "pushed' the deep folds back. Alternatively you can add a VERY small white or yellow to the red you current use. This may make your reds look more pink or orange at first. dont worry because, if that were the case, you can apply a glaze with very watered down the red you currently use. Or you could do both those things and pop the contrast even more.  I hope this helps.  

Great job.  Be critical of yourself.  By that I mean that you will want to look at other peoples work and compare it to your own.  If they are doing something you like, figure out how they are doing it (or ask, everyone on here will be super helpful) and copy that styling.  Most importantly have fun and grow at your own pace.  I look at some of the art here, even by some novice painters, and almost cuss because its so much better than what i do.  But I learn and experiment and progress.

Paint the way you like.

Helpful hint- when you use any color the first time, dunk the tip of the white lid in that color.  It will be easier to find in your box'o' bottles.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KruleBear
      This one has been on the desk for awhile to receive paint as there was extra on the palette. I decided to finish him off last night. Added highlights to the cloak and skulls. Shaded everything, but the cloak with Army Painter Dark Tone. I didn’t add any highlights or shading beyond the basics as it isn’t a great cast. But, I think it turned out great for the toy box. 

• By bblythe84
      I painted her up as a fun project. Let me know what you think. 

I am trying to improve my painting abilities.

The purple marking on her thigh was supposed to be a skull tattoo, it didn't really work as well as I had hoped.

• By Glitterwolf
      77636: Death Shroud and Ironwind Metals Female Necromancer.
      A Micro Art Studio Base and Table Top Art Book and Candle.

WIP:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79298-children-of-the-night-by-glitterwolf/

Taletha knew she was ready, she had studied the grimoire, practiced the ritual over and over again.
      She would call upon the Spiritworld and ask for a champion to avenge her parents.
      Power surged through her when she spoke the forbidden words, a cold wind blew her candle out and suddenly the spirit appeared.

• By Asciiman
      I just got into mini painting about nine months ago, and since then I have thoroughly enjoyed it. So much more than I ever thought I would. During the summer I came across a couple of images of a fire giant that made me really want to see it at my own table. It was these two images that solidified my love for this hobby.  It was there that I was introduced to Reaper Mini, I promptly submitted an order for two of these bodyguards(and about ten others) and I have not looked back.  

Over the last 5 months I have ordered about $300 of minis. It is becoming a costly addiction that I can't say no to. In all that time only one mini had problems, and after one short email, I had a replacement on its way. And then for today, my wife got me my biggest order yet, and it came with a bag of paints. A literal bag of paints, all of which I didn't have any of the colours. So for the quick response to my problems, the amazing looking models, and of course all the freebies, I just want to say, "Thank you Reaper Mini!".

I just wish I had learned about this Kickstarter thing before it stopped taking orders, I want that new fire giant!

• By Metalchaos
      Good Friday everyone, here are pictures of the mini I'll be using as a necromancer in my upcoming D&D game.
      14060, Leisynn the mercenary mage is one of my top 5 favorite model. It was sculpted by Tim Prow for the Warlord game.

• Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)