darkangelx387

14553: Arthrand Nightblade, Wood Elf Sergeant (New to Painting)

Here is another I did, please let me know how I can improve! Thanks! I know the basics to put a base coat, wash and drybrush to highlight. Looking to expand my knowledge and techniques.

ranger front.jpg

ranger back.jpg

• Like 19

WELCOME ABOARD! I hope your stay is LONG & MERRY!

That said; I was admiring the other miniatures you posted. This one, however, is my favorite. The tunic & hooded cloak are BEAUTIFUL; re, the golden brown is a WONDERFULLY blended color selection.  Keep up the OUTSTANDING WORK! You are a natural.

• Like 1

Taking a quick look, I think you need to darken up the shadows more (tight, controlled washes will work here) and probably bring the highlights at the highest points up another notch or two. While drybrushing is a great technique and has its place in your arsenal you should work on painting your way up to the highlights rather than drybrushing as you did here.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Heisler said:

Taking a quick look, I think you need to darken up the shadows more (tight, controlled washes will work here) and probably bring the highlights at the highest points up another notch or two. While drybrushing is a great technique and has its place in your arsenal you should work on painting your way up to the highlights rather than drybrushing as you did here.

Thanks!! Just so i understand you mean just paint the tops that push out instead of brushing? Also how do you blend between the base and up to the highlight? Meaning the color between you get to the brightest and the Darkness do you do a third color between there? Sorry for the newb question

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, darkangelx387 said:

Thanks!! Just so i understand you mean just paint the tops that push out instead of brushing? Also how do you blend between the base and up to the highlight? Meaning the color between you get to the brightest and the Darkness do you do a third color between there? Sorry for the newb question

There are a number of ways to accomplish. the one I use is pretty close to what you just described. You can start at either the darkest shadow, the mid tone or the highlight. You work you were up or down by lightening or darkening the color depending on what you are doing. You can use glazes to help blend the layers together (this is typically called layering although I have heard it referred to in other ways as well).

My glaze is typically made from my darkest color and is mostly water. I can load my brush with it and drag it along a piece of white paper or towel and just barely see the color. I usually apply this in a controlled manner rather than just covering the entire cloak (or whatever) with it depending on the affect I want to achieve.

Thanks!! Just so i understand you mean just paint the tops that push out instead of brushing?

Yep!

Also how do you blend between the base and up to the highlight? Meaning the color between you get to the brightest and the Darkness do you do a third color between there? Sorry for the newb question

Two ways, basically.

1. Thin your paint with water, then it will be partially transparent and let the other color show through and make a smoother transition.
  2. Mix intermediate colors in between your dark and light color. You could do a third color in between, and even a fourth, a fifth ... and lots more if you are trying to win a contest :).

My favorite way is to start with a fairly watered down version of the dark base color. Cover say 80% of the area with that. Then mix in a drop of the lighter highlight color. The paint will get more opaque, and lighter. Cover like 60% of the are with that. Then keep on going adding more light and covering smaller and smaller areas. By the end you will have a mostly opaque brightest highlight which you can paint on just the highest raised edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pragma said:

Yep!

Two ways, basically.

1. Thin your paint with water, then it will be partially transparent and let the other color show through and make a smoother transition.
  2. Mix intermediate colors in between your dark and light color. You could do a third color in between, and even a fourth, a fifth ... and lots more if you are trying to win a contest :).

My favorite way is to start with a fairly watered down version of the dark base color. Cover say 80% of the area with that. Then mix in a drop of the lighter highlight color. The paint will get more opaque, and lighter. Cover like 60% of the are with that. Then keep on going adding more light and covering smaller and smaller areas. By the end you will have a mostly opaque brightest highlight which you can paint on just the highest raised edges.

Aha! I'm going to try those two next. Thank you so much!

You've done a very good job on him, very nice work for someone who is new to painting.

Adding some scenic elements to the base (grass, dirt, rocks, etc) will really help to bring your figures to life.

Also, don't forget the most important thing: if you're having fun, you're doing it right!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

You've done a very good job on him, very nice work for someone who is new to painting.

Adding some scenic elements to the base (grass, dirt, rocks, etc) will really help to bring your figures to life.

Also, don't forget the most important thing: if you're having fun, you're doing it right!

thanks! I actually have a question on bases. The one that came with some of my models like this one is just black, do you guys paint that as well? where do you get base items from like I see some with trees, rocks and grass. I haven't done fancy bases and I'm not sure where to start or what is needed. thanks!

• Like 1

Yes, you can just paint them using the same paints you do for the figure (make sure the prime the base, too). Alternately, you can use all kinds of different products to cover up the base to make it more interesting.

You have a lot of different options as far as basing goes; there are stamps and molds that you can use with various hobby putties to make interesting looking bases.

(Linking to other companies websites if they have a store is against the rules here, but giving you the name so you can google it yourself is just fine, so just google the company names I give you in this post)

Check out Happy Seppuku for examples of basing stamps. They aren't the only one, just the only one I can think of right now.

Model train shops are also a good source of basing stuff. Woodland Scenics makes just about everything you could ever think of to use for basing, and their products can be found in model train shops if you have any near you. You can also get some of their stuff from Michaels/HobbyLobby/ACMoore if you have any of those near you. If you have the option, buy from the model railroad store; for $3-4 more, you'll end up getting 20 times more product.

If you don't have any of those options nearby, check out Scenic Express online. Also check out the Woodland Scenics website; they have some pretty good videos and stuff about how to use their products.

I hope this helps you, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to let me know.::):

• Like 2

Also, don't feel that you have to buy basing items specifically.  Plenty of people use found objects/items.  Sand and pebble/gravel.  Old spices, coffee grounds, tea leaves.  Twigs and seed pod casings (the spacers from birch seed pods are popular for leaves).  Unused kitty litter (I have to specify, why I'm not sure).  There are a bunch of threads buried in the forums about this subject; like this one

• Like 2

I did a primer on basing a while ago, I will try to find it when I get to a pc. Here it is...

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home! 

Nice mini for a first few as well!

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Also, don't feel that you have to buy basing items specifically.  Plenty of people use found objects/items.  Sand and pebble/gravel.  Old spices, coffee grounds, tea leaves.  Twigs and seed pod casings (the spacers from birch seed pods are popular for leaves).  Unused kitty litter (I have to specify, why I'm not sure).  There are a bunch of threads buried in the forums about this subject; like this one

Have you ever noticed if clumping or non-clumping kitty litter makes a difference?