It is not I who am crazy; it is I who am MAD! Pingo paints a Mad Scientist (Female)

22 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Ooo, she reminds me of Collette from Girl Genius!  I look forward to seeing how she turns out.  ^_^

50304: Rowena Von Graaf struck me as more the Colette type, but I see what you mean.  ^_^

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

As a sort of a liner and to give cold shadows to her dress, I washed over her bodice and skirt with a mix of Phthalocyanine Blue and Burnt Umber.  Phthalo Blue is a cold, greenish blue and Burnt Umber is a very dark, warm brown.  Between the two of them they make some intense cold darks with almost metallic undertones.

I also washed some over her big S gun.

I also had a bit of a turquoise mix from Phthalo Blue, a dab of Hansa Yellow (a very bright lemon yellow) and some Titanium White which I scumbled onto her underskirt and hat, very roughly.

592c23dabe9e4_DSC_0336C-Reaper-steampunk-59009-Mad-Scientist-Female-PhthBuHansaYelwhite.jpg.0d3424efd0646b57a6de346302c06dde.jpg

DSC_0337C-Reaper-steampunk-59009.jpg.566de21ae7c39da83d0d1a467197dee7.jpg

I mixed up a transparent dark violet from Ultramarine Blue and Quinacridone Magenta, then make it lighter, brighter, and more opaque with Titanium White.  I laid a very dark version of it thinly over her bodice and skirt, allowing the brown underneath to show through, and brushed lighter violet over it, partly when it was still wet.  I also added a little band on her hat.

DSC_0643-59009--Mad-Scientist.jpg.0f5c039fd743087b6bc02f5f3c33ae4f.jpg

DSC_0644-59009--Mad-Scientist.jpg.75a846872e46fa475fc2214ab927021d.jpg

I glazed the transparent purple over the dress to intensify the color and smooth the shading.

DSC_0677-59009-Mad-Scientist-(Female).jpg.348afd865e96eb21817736b977a019f5.jpg

DSC_0678-59009-Mad-Scientist-(Female).jpg.3f47f2982596fd54833d07bee0924a39.jpg

Yesterday I painted her base a bit.  I wanted the classic black edge and a grey floor.  But straight black is a dull, lifeless color.

So I mixed my favorite near-black from an even balance of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna.  It looks brighter when wet, but dries to a rich near-black with a matte surface (a natural trait of Ultramarine Blue pigment).  Here the figure is with a single layer (more tilted towards blue) on her base.  Notice that you can see the actual blue-grey color on the edge, which was a mottled white before, but over the plain brown of the ground under her feet it turns into deepest black.

DSC_0772-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.f01c4a2f96c2a7fe9bc4c71b4befffbb.jpg

I added one more layer of the mix, tilted a little more towards brown (not shown).  Then I mixed up some shades of grey by adding Titanium White to the mix and slopping it onto the ground under her feet to give a foggy, shadowy effect.

DSC_0785-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.f818feace7900783bfadd6bfcadbe664.jpg

• Like 18

I wasn't expecting to do more so soon, but since I had the Ultramarine Blue-Burnt Sienna shadow mix still on my palette, and there are some little blips of uncolored mini that have been driving me crazy -- one in the curl by her right cheek and one under the left front edge of her bodice especially -- I took a fine brush and tried to eliminate the flaws (I see I've missed a few, sigh).

I had a nice blue shadow color, then, so I added a bunch of blue shadows around the edges and folds of her dress and her hat, and put a few more thin layers on her gun and her gloves.  Not only is it a nice shadow, the blue gives nuance to the purple, making it look more real.  Or at least that's how it looks to me.

From some angles you can see how shiny the purple is.  That's a natural characteristic of both Phthalo and Quinacridone colors that tends to come through even in matte paints.  The blue I am using here for shadows, Ultramarine Blue, is naturally matte, possibly the most matte of all pigments, and makes lovely shadows.

DSC_0801-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.7402042edc4853b539fd6b918db6dd31.jpg

DSC_0802-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.9a1b02b96ef79a191ed0c35cfa9368e9.jpg

DSC_0803-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.56622e4f678ee5920988df9b706642fc.jpg

DSC_0804-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.2307c80726e97da06d518fe6ae6c9fab.jpg

• Like 17
  • 1 year later...

I'm back!

Metallic paints tend to look better over a colored underpainting. I painted the key at her belt straight Red Oxide because I plan to paint it gold. in gilding red clay (basically the same thing as red oxide) is used to prime whatever is to be gilded, to provide a rich color underneath. I've found the technique works pretty well for minis painting.

DSC_0455-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.db5e4e1c6666a9688f51d602e5b4bb7c.jpg

And then I painted her key with metallic gold and her gun and gauntlet with metallic copper.

DSC_0538-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.dac9d6fe61ae9189dd9da2855b8ecbd3.jpg

• Like 15