It is not I who am crazy; it is I who am MAD! Pingo paints a Mad Scientist (Female)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Loth said:

Does the red work better than brown for undercoating gold?

great work

Loth

Yes. If you look at interior decorator images of gilded furniture bits you’ll sometimes see bits of red showing through where the very thin gold leaf has worn off. This is considered a feature these days. The warm red shows through subtly and makes the gold look richer and less brassy than if it is over a less firey color.

• Like 5

On 11/9/2018 at 5:06 AM, Pingo said:

Yes. If you look at interior decorator images of gilded furniture bits you’ll sometimes see bits of red showing through where the very thin gold leaf has worn off. This is considered a feature these days. The warm red shows through subtly and makes the gold look richer and less brassy than if it is over a less firey color.

thanks so much, I’ll use this in the future!!

• Like 1

Just now, Corsair said:

The verdigris effect seems a bit excessive here. Maybe a copper wash on the gauntlet and rear of the gun, making it look like the gun is causing it?

Oh yep. Sometimes it feels like my style involves going way overboard and then correcting for it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Hmm. Well, I added some more copper over the verdigris (not a wash, because that would sink into the nooks and crannies and be the exact opposite of the effect I'm going after), then some more blue and some rather clumsy highlights on her hair.

DSC_0922-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.daf44ac8589fbeec71ed9b317985d007.jpg

DSC_0923.jpg.8fe1f0d87e7cb96c6bc5941749fb997b.jpg

I then went in with some more gentle blues and highlights, but her hair is still clumsy.

DSC_0091-59009-Mad-Scientist.jpg.e62ff1415ad85baf2123bd485a98e860.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg.b58be591148170f20adb0696d47c5a2e.jpg

• Like 10