Decisions, decisions

Jester

Well, I was packing up everything for my Painting Club tonight, and I got to thinking about Paint n Takes, Master Classes, etc. at ReaperCon.

Now, you all know I'm slightly psychotic. Well, I'm also pretty nit-picky when it comes to my miniatures: prepping, basing, primer, etc. So it got me thinking. How much should I bring?

I'm torn. On one hand, I would love to travel light, and yet also not spend a ton on pre-shipping items to Kit. He has his hands full enough without worrying about my crap. The other hand, I'm so picky I would waste a lot of time doing what I already have done in terms of getting the minis ready. And I doubt packing my dremel kit would be truly acceptable. Like I said, I'm picky! :lol:

So I guess I will pack up about 18 based, primed and totally prepped miniatures to take with me to ReaperCon to save myself time and trouble. If it is allowed, I'll sit down and paint those (they all will be Reaper Minis of course), and use those same miniatures in the two Master painting classes that I am taking. Of course, my paints, my emulsions, my brushes... etc... is all coming along too. I guess I better warn the FAA, eh?

Am I totally nuts? Or just a really moronic mini painter?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you might have Figmentia worse than I do....

Take them all, then by a whole bunch more while you're there! That's what I'd do. I mean, how many pairs of socks do you really need? :poke:

Hmm.. on second thought... socks would make nice packing material to protect all those precious minis on the return trip.....

man, you should see what i go through trying to decide what tools to take. see, its a little known fact that sculptors--most of us, anyway-- are tool junkies as well. So, i have the kit i use all the time, the identical spare kit, the miniature kit that fits in an altoids box, the power tools, the headgear, the lights, the ovens, the six kinds of putty, the four sizes of wire, the jewelers saws, files, knives, sandpaper, the rubbermaid tub of dental tools i might find a use for someday, the totally plastic flying kit, the "innocuous" flying kit (you can do amazing things with those dental floss picks), the show tools, the hundred or so greens in various stages of finish, the tools to show the other sculptors, oh, and did I mention the reference books? and then i need my drawing stuff in case i have an idea on the plane....and i need to have room for stuff i might aquire on the trip.

just spread it all out on your living room floor and imagine what you are really gonna need. and resign yourself to the fact you'll have to buy or borrow something anyway...

see ya all soon...

man, you should see what i go through trying to decide what tools to take. see, its a little known fact that sculptors--most of us, anyway-- are tool junkies as well. So, i have the kit i use all the time, the identical spare kit, the miniature kit that fits in an altoids box, the power tools, the headgear, the lights, the ovens, the six kinds of putty, the four sizes of wire, the jewelers saws, files, knives, sandpaper, the rubbermaid tub of dental tools i might find a use for someday, the totally plastic flying kit, the "innocuous" flying kit (you can do amazing things with those dental floss picks), the show tools, the hundred or so greens in various stages of finish, the tools to show the other sculptors, oh, and did I mention the reference books? and then i need my drawing stuff in case i have an idea on the plane....and i need to have room for stuff i might aquire on the trip.

just spread it all out on your living room floor and imagine what you are really gonna need. and resign yourself to the fact you'll have to buy or borrow something anyway...

see ya all soon...

And just to think I'm about to embark on sculpting also while I am there!

LOL!!! My wife's going to go nuts! I mean, I have a studio with an airbrush hood two work areas and storage racks/shelves, and a separate workshop area for painting, a separate area for photo shoots, and a little space in a corner where I store my packing materials. Not to mention the shelves filled with armor, airplane, sci-fi and gundam model boxes. Then toss in bit boxes, piles of reference books, and our entire book collection (we're both readers here in the Jester household)...

This is all in my house... :B):

Now, add in all the above, plus four huge portfolios of past comic book art, sketches, and other papers I have lying around since 1986 or so, and you have me!

I wonder why my wife doesn't divorce me? :wub:

I must admit, I like the fact that painting with the IMMPS forces me to keep my painting materials portable. Though I'm going to have to get a slightly larger box soon as I've run out of room to add more paints.

You should see Paintminion's box, it's a massive thing....

Ok, I admit it, this is what I will probably bring if I need to (but remember I'm local)... All my paints, most of my brushes (in fact, probably the brush and tool turntable), files, B&D wizard (poor-man's dremmel), a comfortable chair, extra lighting, tunes (maybe), my special clear water cup (not really special, just clear and mine) - a few different mixing pallettes, some color theory books (to show how much I need to learn), superglue, bottlecaps (you'll see why later), white glue... and anything else I feel I can't do without...

I am doing exactly the same thing. Which paints should I bring, can I get them all in my box, which ones will I decide that I really need if I leave them at home? Which minis should I bring? ........... :lol:

And I usually tend to overpack for any trip. And there's only two weeks left to decide :wacko:

Well, it's the following:

Paints (the essentials), brush case, brushes, paint solutions, basic tools, palettes, sketch book, camera, and I'm sure more stuff than I could ever use... -_-

I'm leaving behind water, lamps, and other misc what not I'm thinking I can do without. My traveling case is on old leather bag that was my Grandfather's. So, it's whatever I can get in there, and then if I can get it in a suitcase. Because there is no way it will get past airport security. LOL!

But I'm definitely bringing my own based and primed miniatures. I am just too finicky I guess...

No-one should be considered too finicky for wanting to bring mini's that they've prepped. Most folks who've done commissions know what it's like to try to paint a figure prepped by someone else, but not quite done the way ya like it. One gaming buddy always bought more than he wanted, prepped it, primed it, then sold it to me.... and I invariably had to re-prep the mini's...

Two more things that I'm bringing:

Baseball cap & magnifying goggles. I can't get ANY detail work done without 'em these days. Maybe the next time I order glasses I'll get a pair with high magnification & the right focal point, but for now I need the extra gear.

MG/IX

Most folks who've done commissions know what it's like to try to paint a figure prepped by someone else, but not quite done the way ya like it.

Gee, I guess that will leave me out, then... ::P:

Oh well, it's now Sunday night, and 12 days until the fun and frivolity commences!

Better get crackin'!!!