eldamir

77323 - Blightfang basing ..

So, I got ambitious again and decided to try my hand at a second dragon (and a third since I scored DDS for a steal online the other week).  I've got Blightfang all painted with a basecoat and the first set of color, then forgot where I was with her and started gluing things together.. After affixing her to her rock, I found a small issue that my pre-paint fitting didn't show; namely, that the front rock sits 1/4" off the ground when the main rock is flat.. 

Now, I've not done any custom basing to this point, so I'm completely clueless as to the best way to 'fix' this issue.  

Should I find a pebble in the garden and glue that sucker under the front rock?

Weight the back so that the front just sits in the air?

Carefully attempt to slice off the rock and do a complete custom jobbie?

Note - this (as with all my other current projects) is destined primarily for table-top use - we start HotDQ in a week or two.

77323 - Blightfang WIP 7.jpg

77323 - Blightfang WIP 4.jpg

• Like 8

Pebble?  Neh.  Get a piece of flat cork, break it around the edges, and glue it under the front rock.  You can then grass and flock it.

You could even use some greenstuff or other putty/clay/epoxy to simply sculpt the front rock.  It'd be good beginner practice with sculpting.  First plop a ball under the rock and let it cure so the height is correct.  Then add the details to the rock with more material afterwards.  Paint, play, and enjoy (and share pictures!)!

• Like 4

Attached a small blob of greenstuff and some washers for stability last night.  I'll add more greenstuff tonight and try my hand at forming it to look like a rock tonight.

2017-05-16 11.18.38.jpg

• Like 6

You could even expand your idea even further by adding a larger circle base under everything. (Hmmm I know of a company that sells those...^_^) Then texture it up & maybe add a stream or something  in the gap between the rock cropping/her feet.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

So I picked up a few 3" bases (from a company @haldir knows) and added a first layer of green stuff..  I think I want to build it up a  bit more before I call it good (and maybe think about that stream - although attempting to paint water kind of scares me :D )

2017-05-20 11.25.17.jpg

Edited by eldamir
  • Like 9

Built up the Green Stuff a bit more - going to go for a pond-edge on the one side, with a stream flowing between the rocks and out the other.. 

Moving really slow on this one - getting to be the busy time of year!

2017-05-30 21.38.09.jpg

2017-05-30 21.38.14.jpg

• Like 9

First layer of 'water' (Ritterlich Blue) overlaid with a wash of Sky Blue.

I'm going to try filling the pond and stream with clear glue (maybe dot in some gold coins on the floor of the pond?) and add some grass flocking for the parts that are still raw green stuff.

77323 - Blightfang WIP 18.jpg

• Like 4

Water!  It's not completely set, but liking how it looks so far.

The next thing to tackle is trying my hand at flocking - never done that before either :)

2017-06-03 19.19.24.jpg

• Like 3