Wizkids Hellhound (Deep Cuts)

Cleaned up my table today! Granted it's not spotless cause if it was I couldn't find anything.....^_^ Even more more exciting

I painted a mini!!

It's been awhile, as early Febuary was my last brush to mini attempt. Of course that attempt is now just sitting on my table saying "Hey when are you gonna paint me, hmmmm??" Anyways I'm gonna attempt to put up a WiP for this one as well. I'm not exactly sure how far I'll go with his WiP as I'm bad at updating things like WiPs & such. 

I forgot to take a pic of the raw mini but this is the other one in that pack of 2 & it's exactly the same (besides the pose of course) as the one I'm painting up:

59209822add8e_2017-05-2013_06_17.thumb.jpg.d9e4c798983e34c9520ed4b718e029d7.jpg

Clear plastic with a primered base

I wanted to take advantage of the clearness of the plastic so I thought might as well use Tamiya Clear paints on them. Problem was my jar of Clear Yellow was goopy, ie old. So in the trash it went & I ordered anther jar from the local hobby shop. That was a few weeks ago...Anyways after I did a semi-clean up of the workbench I proceeded to just apply the Clear Yellow onto the mini:

592098f055c05_2017-05-2013_07_07.thumb.jpg.995444644bf35c21f7fbc367b161e9a4.jpg

& to see how it looks under a light, in this case a Ott-Light:

5920992c7e4ad_2017-05-2013_07_21.thumb.jpg.e0b67ce26e8fa5c07daf8ce07c24cc20.jpg

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this critter but I'd like to try & make it like the Advanced Hellhound pre-paint mini:

1107728.jpg

(yes the one I'm painting has a spiked color as well, I just painted over it). Hoping this mini jumpstarts the mini-painting that I need to do for ReaperCon this year!!

• Like 8

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I would use primer under Tamiya, just like I like having a primer coat on Bones but with the clear nature of these & I didn't want to get out my clear primer (Black Gold Adherto) I just went with it + I use the clears all the time on clear model plastic (lights, lens etc) so I knew I wouldn't have any problems. The Paint went on really well.  Also I'm not sure if the clear bits on these are primered or not. Pretty sure they aren't as I've never read Vallejo having a clear primer in their lineup.

Ice Hounds would make for a frost giant encounter that's for sure.

I'm not sure if I wanna do clear red now or clear orange. Hmmm Sad thing is after I get this one painted up I may not even use it. They are medium creatures but they are large medium creatures. I've got the prepaint from Storm King's Thunder just in case I change my mind.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By SotF
      I actually painted this shortly before the lockdowns started when the store had it and the D&D campaign I was in was running Lost Mines and we'd gotten to the beginning of the dragon encounter. So I'd painted it up and brought it in since the DM didn't have a green dragon of the right size and the sculpt actually looks a lot like the D&D Green Dragon if you remove the tail blades.

After running it, another friend wanted to borrow the mini for an adventure he was running right as lockdown started and I just got it back.

The big thing with it was the expirament with various stick on plastic jewels and if I could use gold and silver glitter with a large enough size to work for coins as a a workable basing material with some added wash ontop. I like the result there and it gives the feel of the dragons hoard that it might have been napping on when someone woke it up.
    • By RFS-81
      As you can see from the title, I'm a noob playing around with layering. Or glazing? I'm not sure about the difference, in the tutorial videos I watched, both techniques come down to painting diluted paints over a base coat.

I've painted the armor with a black-and-silver mix, then painted over with diluted silver where I imagine the light hits. I'm happy with the effect. I feel like I've messed up the face. I layered Vallejo Paint Bronze Fleshtone (over that color + white) to simulate shade from the helmet, and tried to pain the eyes gold because she's depicted with glowing eyes in the official artwork. I think I should just have gone for skin-wash... I hope I can salvage it. I also see now that I haven't been thorough with removing the mold lines and messed up the gold detail somewhat.

I'm a bit unsure about what to do with the hair and, well, whatever you call this piece of clothing.

I painted shades on the lower part of the hair, in the areas where multiple layers of cloth overlap and on the right where the wing is above it. I just glazed over with a red + black mix. I'm kind of going back and forth thinking that it looks too dark and smudgy, and (especially on the front) not dark enough. I'm also unsure if I should add highlights or shades on the wavy part. It's relatively flat, and most tutorials I've seen deal with robes that have very deep folds.

I definitely want to add highlights to the hair, but I don't know what color. Mixing red and white would give pink, and that doesn't seem right. I tried glazing with orange, but wasn't happy with the result, so I glazed over with red again. It's still slightly visible.

Some other minor detail, I've tried to paint the shadow of the body on the base of the wings. Not sure I like it, but you only see it when you go looking for it anyway...

One more picture that I took, can't really think of any commentary.

Any advice on layering or any other things is very welcome!
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Been awhile since I shared something here.

Here's a night hag I painted up a few months back.

More Photos below the Spoiler

I'd love to see some of your favorite examples of OSL so feel free to drop them below!

Also, what's your favorite D&D hag, or favorite witch from pop culture.
      - I guess they're not technically hags, but I love the Fates from Disney's Hercules.  They always creeped me out and I love running witches like them.
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello again, this one is Darkblade, a Wizkids Pathfinder Deep Cuts 72596, Human Male Fighter. Darkblade is also a the character of one of the players of our D&D group. I painted it with Reaper MSP paint.

• By Metalchaos
      Hello there, here are pictures of Tungdill, a Wizkids Nolzur’s Marvelous 72630, Dwarf Male Paladin. It is the character of one of the players of our D&D group. I painted it with Reaper MSP paint and Citadel casandora yellow ink on the hammer head.