Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Wizkids Hellhound (Deep Cuts)

Cleaned up my table today! Granted it's not spotless cause if it was I couldn't find anything.....^_^ Even more more exciting

I painted a mini!!

It's been awhile, as early Febuary was my last brush to mini attempt. Of course that attempt is now just sitting on my table saying "Hey when are you gonna paint me, hmmmm??" Anyways I'm gonna attempt to put up a WiP for this one as well. I'm not exactly sure how far I'll go with his WiP as I'm bad at updating things like WiPs & such. 

I forgot to take a pic of the raw mini but this is the other one in that pack of 2 & it's exactly the same (besides the pose of course) as the one I'm painting up:

59209822add8e_2017-05-2013_06_17.thumb.jpg.d9e4c798983e34c9520ed4b718e029d7.jpg

Clear plastic with a primered base

I wanted to take advantage of the clearness of the plastic so I thought might as well use Tamiya Clear paints on them. Problem was my jar of Clear Yellow was goopy, ie old. So in the trash it went & I ordered anther jar from the local hobby shop. That was a few weeks ago...Anyways after I did a semi-clean up of the workbench I proceeded to just apply the Clear Yellow onto the mini:

592098f055c05_2017-05-2013_07_07.thumb.jpg.995444644bf35c21f7fbc367b161e9a4.jpg

& to see how it looks under a light, in this case a Ott-Light:

5920992c7e4ad_2017-05-2013_07_21.thumb.jpg.e0b67ce26e8fa5c07daf8ce07c24cc20.jpg

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this critter but I'd like to try & make it like the Advanced Hellhound pre-paint mini:

1107728.jpg

(yes the one I'm painting has a spiked color as well, I just painted over it). Hoping this mini jumpstarts the mini-painting that I need to do for ReaperCon this year!!

• Like 8

Nice!

So Tamiya clears don't need primer? Or are the WK mini's designed so you could paint Tamiya clear on them? Thanks!

I picked up two of these as well. I have other hell hounds to paint. So I have been thinking about using my blue and green tamiya clears to make these cold hounds. But I haven't decided yet. 

• Like 1

Normally I would use primer under Tamiya, just like I like having a primer coat on Bones but with the clear nature of these & I didn't want to get out my clear primer (Black Gold Adherto) I just went with it + I use the clears all the time on clear model plastic (lights, lens etc) so I knew I wouldn't have any problems. The Paint went on really well.  Also I'm not sure if the clear bits on these are primered or not. Pretty sure they aren't as I've never read Vallejo having a clear primer in their lineup.

Ice Hounds would make for a frost giant encounter that's for sure.

I'm not sure if I wanna do clear red now or clear orange. Hmmm Sad thing is after I get this one painted up I may not even use it. They are medium creatures but they are large medium creatures. I've got the prepaint from Storm King's Thunder just in case I change my mind.

• Like 1

It's worth it actually. My pics don't show how shiny the clear yellow is.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iridil
      Here is a trio of Wizkids elves painted up for tabletop. It was very annoying to get to the bowman's face - so its not really painted in detail. I have mixed feeling about wizkids humanoids.... I feel a bit grumpy about how these didn't turn out, but its' my fault... I do like the yellow velveteen effect I got on the one cloak...

• By ksbsnowowl
      My cousin came over to paint a Bones mini I had laying around to be his new (temporary?) character, as he was slain at the end of the last session.  I decided to pull out the Nolzur’s Grick pack to paint something easy while half entertaining him. 

I just used two colors so far, Vallejo Green Brown for the belly and sucker “underside” of its face tentacles, and Reaper Troll Hide, both thinned 1:1 with Vallejo Thinner Medium, and a damp brush. Both colors went onto the smaller Grick like butter, and produced a wonderfully highlighted and shaded effect on their own. 

Sadly I got interrupted by life, and the paint was drying well out by the time I got back (I had put my palette in a ziplock bag, but still...) so I just used the VMC Green Brown that remained to touch up the smaller one, and start on the large one. I also mixed up a small bit of the Troll Hide again, to touch up a few remaining spots on the smaller aberration. But I’m beat, so enough painting for tonight. 

Going forward I plan to do the beak with Reaper Coal Black, which I’ve not had opportunity to make use of, yet. Plus I’ll put some Citadel Screamer Pink in for the mucosa of the mouth. 

Since the paint was acting so wonderfully as a wash, any spots I had to touch back up that resulted in darker splotches, I just mirrored on the opposite side, making that part of his skin pattern. I’m quite pleased with how it’s turning out, and it was ridiculously easy for a great tabletop standard. I need to do more monsters like this. 
    • By Iridil
      Here is a set of five zombies I painted up - first 2 are wizkids and I found I did not really like the sculpt, a sort of Elvis pirate looking zombie. Second three are a mix of a wizkid and two reaper zombies. Quick paint ups for the table - being fortune to have an in-house group to play with!

• By Venun
      Hi all
      I had lost my motivation to paint in the past few months. With no paint nights with friends, my mini's not seeing the D&D table as we're playing online atm, it wasn't motivating.
      This weekend I picked it up again. Finished 2 mini's, of which I'll post 1 today :) 
       this zombie Beholder was my first attempt at painting a blind eye. Loving the outcome!
      Added the toxic drool when I thought he was done, which turned out to be a lie. The drool finished him up proper :)

• By Kangaroorex
      In my continuing effort to continue at least 1 dragon a month, here is my next entry, the wizkids gargantuan dragon.  I believe I should name this one PanicusMaximusNecakus because this one presented special and exciting problems because the dragon has apparently decided to do the flamenco feather dance and his wings were a major obstacle when trying to paint the left side of the dragon's body.  I realize the cause was because they were trying to get the dragon in the box but man was that difficult to work with. 
      I wound up spending a lot of time with one hand pinning the dragon and the wing to the table while I painted with the other.  It was not the most convenient method of painting.  He was also very prickly... very, very prickly! 

because its such a big base, I wanted to provide some interest for the game.  I used the old road stamp from Basius to generate some pieces of broken road amongst a clearing in early fall.  I was thinking of adding a smudge of snow but if I did it would conflict with the ruined stone.

Overall though I like how he came out and I really like the results on his tail and his crown of horns. 
      Hope everyone like him.  This is still tabletop quality as I have been trying to produce quantity over quality.

• Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)