Gen Con 2004

wtwest

Cerridwyn, I walked past you while you were in the event ticket line but was swept away in the crowd. Ships that pass in the night and all that.

Lord Baasen ran a Warlord demo for me and some friends (see thread in Warlord forum).

I talked to Freefall while he was giving out Warlord prizes but didn't get a chance to tell him who I was.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Reaper Demo area, I had the chance to play a big stompy dragon in the Warlord demos. Really freaked people out when the dragon started THROWING their Orcs. ORC BOWLING! Whoo-Hoo!

Ummm. . .Where does Throwing Orcs come from in the rules? Was that a stunt in the Beta version? Or was this a special scenario rule?

In the Reaper Demo area, I had the chance to play a big stompy dragon in the Warlord demos.  Really freaked people out when the dragon started THROWING their Orcs.  ORC BOWLING!  Whoo-Hoo!

Ummm. . .Where does Throwing Orcs come from in the rules? Was that a stunt in the Beta version? Or was this a special scenario rule?

Hey, remember "Monster Dodgeball" back in the Alpha testing? Good times. Good times.

• Artists
I was pleased about the praise my Wizard's Museum got from onlookers ^_^

I think I met a lot of you, but I have no idea who was who... I think I was just about the only one who wrote their nick on their badge, so for me most of the time I was guessing.

I put my nick on my badge, too, but since I don't post much, anyone who saw it probably just thought I was some kind of birdwatcher or something. ;->

I really enjoyed seeing your diorama in person, I dragged my husband over to have a look at it too.

• Artists
Wren stopped by and said "Hi" (I have your picture of Lorrielle Silverrain - PM your address and I'll mail it). 

I realized later I must have left that picture behind on the table or something. Please don't worry about it, it's just printed off our printer, so easy enough for me to get another copy. Feel free to keep it or throw it away or whatever.

I really enjoyed meeting Cerridwyn and Ladystorm, and also met some nice folks in the classes I took. Liliana's animal painting was great, her picture class was very helpful, and I had loads of fun at Jeff Wilhelm's bases 101 class. Maybe next year I'll have a chance at Jen's class. Both Lili and Jeff mentioned considering doing longer classes next year, which would be great.

I didn't get over to the paint and take area much, so I didn't really get to meet anyone else, although I saw Mengu, Lord Basaan, Jen Haley and Angela/SaxonAngel. Each looked pretty busy when I saw him/her, so I didn't try to introduce myself or anything. It's killing me that I'll have to wait another whole year to try to be more assertive and meet people, and to have the opportunity for more classes or even just seeing other people paint, but I'm going to try to get over that by putting into practice what I observed this year before I forget it all.

I tried to take loads of pictures, both of general con stuff and miniature related things in particular (although half of those didn't turn out), and if I manage to get these on the Web I'll post a link.

I thought it was a really good show overall and the miniature painting area was quite impressive. The place was always full of people painting and the organizers were real cool. I'm surprised so many people paint mini these days actually. It was not anywhere near this interesting when I went there last time in 98'. The Art show area was also really cool and much better than other cons I have attended. So much good work is needed for the card games than artist are actually getting paid to do their best (what a concept).

It was nice meeting all the folks at the show like Mengu, Debby and Greg and all the rest of the painters and sculpters. Good show Sue, you should be proud. I wish I had time to do some of the painting events but maybe next time.

Eric

An amazing weekend to be sure!! My only disappointment was trying to meet Eric Louchard, but everytime I got near him he was on his cell phone. ::(:

I spent most of my time divided between the dealer area, painting/basing classes, and heckling the speed painters. The Friday Night Ace of Aces speed painting is a MUST SEE event! I hope anyone who missed it this year can make it next. If nothing else, I could use some more competition in the auction hall afterwards. :lol:

An amazing weekend to be sure!! My only disappointment was trying to meet Eric Louchard, but everytime I got near him he was on his cell phone. ::(:

I spent most of my time divided between the dealer area, painting/basing classes, and heckling the speed painters. The Friday Night Ace of Aces speed painting is a MUST SEE event! I hope anyone who missed it this year can make it next. If nothing else, I could use some more competition in the auction hall afterwards. :lol:

yeah, someone other than the auctioneer (that was bad form on their part!).

Oh, and since he didn't warn you, beware of flying rolls of paper towels in the speed paint area :down: (felt really bad about that Gus, hope Angela fixed it for you).

debby ^_^

Gus,

Sorry about that Gus. I was always in and out of the area and then trying to keep track of my gaming group and get updates on the kids at home but I apologize for not hanging around more. You gotta get in my face sometimes to get my attention. :) It would have been nice to meet you in person.

Eric

Hex:

I don't know about you, but I'm built more like a barge than a ship...

Just get your Warlord army together, and maybe we can have a go next year. I will show you the might of the elven archers, and you will come to fear my laser pointer. Ha ha!

Bryan, I've got a few things I want to ask about Toss. Is throwing another model a free action, or does it count as an additional attack? I mean, if a Dragon picks up another model on an attack, does throwing away that model soak up one of his three attacks? If not, then theoretically, a dragon could make six attacks - three to pick up other models, three more when he tosses them at other models. Man, that is just sick.

Since the model that is tossed has broken base to base contact, would it have to make another discipline check to overcome the dragon's Horrid special ability and re-engage for melee attack? Not that too many creatures will survive the point of toss damage, but if they did...

Bryan, I've got a few things I want to ask about Toss.  Is throwing another model a free action, or does it count as an additional attack?  I mean, if a Dragon picks up another model on an attack, does throwing away that model soak up one of his three attacks?  If not, then theoretically, a dragon could make six attacks - three to pick up other models, three more when he tosses them at other models.  Man, that is just sick.

Since the model that is tossed has broken base to base contact, would it have to make another discipline check to overcome the dragon's Horrid special ability and re-engage for melee attack?  Not that too many creatures will survive the point of toss damage, but if they did...

According to Page 77:

Stunt is considered a 'invoke special ability' action. :

Stunt is a Combat Action, so stunts cannot be used by models that also wish to attack.
(emphasis mine)

When a Stunt requires a stunt check use MAV or RAV, whichever is higher - except for Toss. If the model is friendly, MAV is fine, if it is hostile, RAV must be rolled to throw it. If RAV is nil, then use RAV = 0. There is 1 point of damage when tossing. Friendlies can amke a stunt check to not take the damage. (The idea here is to toss a friendly up on a ledge, or an enemy over a ledge - not so much Orc bowing.)

So - No the dragon does not get 6, or even 4 attacks and 1 toss.. It gets A) 1 toss, or B) 3MA(claw, claw, tailslap or bite) or C)1 RA (Breath Weapon).

As for B2B contact, yes, another horrid check. There is nothing in Horrid that says the attacking model only needs to make the check once (if it succeds it is not automatically considered to succeed again). Think about it this way: A DRAGON just THREW YOU up to 6" (In scale, that's like 35 feet (or 10+meters)). I think I'd be afraid of it all over again if I tried to re-engage, if not more afraid than I was before it flung me far enough to win the gold in Shot-put. (Aussie! Aussie! Oy! OY! Oy!)

This really should have been asked in Warlord

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Thread.

I didn't get over to the paint and take area much, so I didn't really get to meet anyone else, although I saw Mengu, Lord Basaan, Jen Haley and Angela/SaxonAngel.

Wow, that almost makes me sound important.

Well, I am important, but not neccessarily in that talented gathering.

When I'm running a demo and if you need/want to speak to me, step up and say something. We have an exceptional Band of Black Lightning People, who would step right in for me.