OSL Wizard

My first go at OSL.

I looked at a few tutorials, and it seems to be a good idea to paint up the mini as usual first.

So here he is.

The fireball in his left hand is homemade from a small more or less round piece of metal, a short piece of wire, and some sculping-paste (about the same thickness as tooth-paste).

As you maybe have guessed, the light is going to come from the fireball, and shine onto his arm and head .. and lets see what else it will hit!?

Any last advice before I might ruin my paintjob? (I'm a bit nervous about this)

Wizard1.jpg

• Like 16

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for osl, the first thing to remember is the light source must be the brightest thing on the whole piece.  Which means I'd probably work a lot more white into the fireball to make it pop.  Next, any light that is cast on the piece needs to be... you guessed it!  Light!  

what I'd do is highlight any point close to the flame very very light or even close to pure white.  As you get farther from a light source, the light dims.  So highlights further away do not need to be quite so bright.  i'd do the highlighting in your chosen colors, up as close to white as you can, and then glaze a thin layer of yellow closest to the flame, then maybe and orange further away.  Alternatively, you can just drybrush on some color, but it will mask some of your highlighting.  The key though is understanding that light must be the brightest thing on the whole miniature!

Light travels in an expanding sphere, so imagine a larger globe of dimmer light around your fireball, gradually dimming as it gets farther away.  Any point that intersects that sphere gets hit with light.  Anything hidden by another object gets a deeper shadow.  Sometimes the best osl effects require deeper shadows than we want in order to sell the effect.

I hope this helps.  you're doing great and I'm so glad you're working on osl.  it's a fun thing to play with!  keep having fun!!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Corporea said:

for osl, the first thing to remember is the light source must be the brightest thing on the whole piece.  Which means I'd probably work a lot more white into the fireball to make it pop.  Next, any light that is cast on the piece needs to be... you guessed it!  Light!  

what I'd do is highlight any point close to the flame very very light or even close to pure white.  As you get farther from a light source, the light dims.  So highlights further away do not need to be quite so bright.  i'd do the highlighting in your chosen colors, up as close to white as you can, and then glaze a thin layer of yellow closest to the flame, then maybe and orange further away.  Alternatively, you can just drybrush on some color, but it will mask some of your highlighting.  The key though is understanding that light must be the brightest thing on the whole miniature!

Light travels in an expanding sphere, so imagine a larger globe of dimmer light around your fireball, gradually dimming as it gets farther away.  Any point that intersects that sphere gets hit with light.  Anything hidden by another object gets a deeper shadow.  Sometimes the best osl effects require deeper shadows than we want in order to sell the effect.

I hope this helps.  you're doing great and I'm so glad you're working on osl.  it's a fun thing to play with!  keep having fun!!

sketch-1495499529525.png

As an example.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Good luck!  On YouTube look up Sorastro and he has a fire giant from Blood Rage that give a good tutorial on OSL.

Thanks, and that turorial is really fine. Lots of good advice, I will deffently see more of his videos.

Corporea;

Thanks, I will try to work out from what you have described. It also fits nicely with  what Sorastro Said in his tutorial.

And Thanks to everyone who commented.. 

Edited by LarsM

A bit more white in the fire ball. And more white on the highlights.

On the pictures the fireball looks  great, in person it looks more meh.. Just white.

This OSL is really fun :0)

(sorry, just phone pics This time).

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

• Like 8

It's getting warmer.  Really nice job with this!  I'd want to see some yellow/orange in the osl mix to be convinced that light is coming from the fireball.  But if there are other significant light sources as there seem to be on this, you can keep the osl spread tight.  Not much further than what you've done with the white, but more on the hand/arm right next to the fire.  I think the color in the osl will also help sell the look of the fireball.  

• Like 1

It was my plan to use yellow and orange from here.. or should I use more White on his left arm, Before the yellow/orange?

It was supposes to be daylight, but with a very bright fireball going off.

I guess that what makes the fireball look so much better on the photo, is the black background wich makes the White color pop. Is there anyway to make it pop more in Real life?

Try to keep in mind how intense you want it. Subtle lighting is okay but can get lost on a small figure (similar reason for why we highlight and shade). Alternatively, it can get cartoonishly intense. 

Looking great so far :)

• Like 1

I Can see what you mean..thinking I might should make it brighter.

I imagine a fireball to be pretty intense!

I think I will start to add some warm colors and where I end..

thank so much for advice encouragements to everyone !