Sign in to follow this  
PurpleLlama

02218 - Abraxus Dire-dead

Just finished up painting the skeleton archer I've been working on and decided on this guy as my next one up. Seems to be a devil or demon with a mask on maybe?  

I decided to to go with a purple cape and red skin on this guy.  Probably make the axe gunmetal with some silver highlights.  Not sure on the breast plate thingy he's wearing.  Couple of details I've gone over in purple or red that will need changed.

Comments and criticism welcome!

IMG_1261.thumb.JPG.aacbd3240fbe377163f9850a49890948.JPGIMG_1262.thumb.JPG.dbe40894e996fa6d387a70189a37e58f.JPG

• Like 5

Finished base coating everything tonight.  I have a couple of areas to clean up but was too tired to mess with it.  The breastplate also turned out much pinker than I anticipated.  I'll have to darken it up some next time.

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

• Like 6

What the devil?  I mean, nice start on this meanie!  I like the purple cloak.  I'm guessing that's a favorite color of yours?  are you going to do something with the eye holes or other parts of the face to make the mask more obviously apart from the face?  It looks like there's a mustache coming out from behind it.  Is that what it is?

The cloak came from a tutorial I found on doing purple and was just excited to try it out.  I had also already decided on red for the skin and figured the purple would look good with it.

I was thinking for the eyes to maybe try some glowing eyes out of the sockets.  I haven't done that before and thought it would work well.  I'm thinking maybe yellow or green.

The mustache I'm not too sure on.  It's part of the cheek bone part above it that's currently painted red.  I don't know if they are supposed to be like face tentacles?  I might change some more of the face to bone.  I still want to keep looking at that area to make sure it looks right.

I'm definitely open to suggestions!

I had a little time tonight to get some more work done on this guy.  I started by doing a coat of darker red on the skin.  I think this color looks better to highlight up from.  Then I started washing all the crevices with a black wash.  After that I rehighlighted with scab red.  I also washed all of the bone and the axe head with the black while I had it out.  

IMG_1277.thumb.JPG.a88290327435166d468a7b6f368ff2d0.JPG

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.02d6b1cb6f2ac308abd619b3ccca207d.JPG

Next up will be highlighting the skin and then maybe working on the bone.  Still not sure what I want to do with the pinkish breastplate.  I'm thinking either trying to go back over it with a pure silver or maybe gunmetal.

• Like 4

Had a decent amount of time to finish off most of the details.  Pretty much everything except the base and possibly some glowing eyes are finished up.  I may also look at messing with the back side of the axe as I'm not too happy with how that came out looking.

Skin progression was as follows (all colors in Vallejo):  base coat of Scarlett red, 3:1 mix Scarlett red to bloody red, 1:3 mix Scarlett red to bloody red and final highlights in bloody red.  Not sure if I should add any white to make them brighter.  I'm pretty happy at this point.

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.137928b74784884ae06c1b0dcb0332ac.JPG

IMG_1292.thumb.JPG.3fa7db4b1e2f2cea093e55455fe232e4.JPG

IMG_1293.thumb.JPG.3dc590f75793aab794acb68e160a4f1e.JPG

• Like 4