38 minutes ago, Rahz said:

You mean you don't have 4 extra bottles on hand for something like this?!  Oooh, potential drama right out of the gate!

steals some of OneBoot's popcorn. 

Ah, the heckling begins!  I will soon learn the depths of my bottle of brown liner, and may need to scramble if I come up short.  I was thinking I'd mix primers to start with a grey coat for the base anyway.  Plus this is bones.  I don't really need to prime, do I? 

With the digits tucked in for the night, I descend into my lair to create a monster...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Quick boring update.  Mold lines have been trimmed.  No blood so far, so that's good news.  No paint has been applied yet, that's the bad news.  Gotta go pick up the digits.  Will continue after their bedtime tonight when I find out if I have enough brown liner.

Ugh, the mold lines on this guy. :zombie: I eventually gave up on cleaning all of them and just removed the worst offenders. It took me half a second to process what you meant by 'digits', then I laughed. ^_^

21 minutes ago, InvisibleThumb said:

I was thinking I'd mix primers to start with a grey coat for the base anyway.  Plus this is bones.  I don't really need to prime, do I? 

Whether to prime or not is up to you, but for Challenges I always do. I still remember the trouble buglips had with his Cthulhu; he chose not to prime, and had problems with paint adhesion which ended up costing him significant time.

I've found Brown Liner can stretch an astonishing amount (I only used maybe 2/3 of a nearly full bottle on Kaladrax), though I do thin mine veeery slightly: 5 drops liner to 1 drop water (I have an empty dropper bottle with water in it that I use for thinning).

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

The main reason that I highly recommend Brown Linering 7 day challenge figures is because you're in a bit of a rush painting them and they're such big figures, so you're very likely to handle them a lot and thus, you're more likely to rub paint off.

I am constantly amazed by how far I can stretch a bottle of Brown Liner.....but I'm also a crazy person that keeps at least 3 bottles on hand at all times.

• Like 5

Taking a break after a 2 hour stretch of linering.  Here's the progress update.  

Done:

image.jpg.174020c0129ea79721d73e65f027add3.jpg

2 arms, 2 legs, head, neck frill, main body

to do still:

image.jpg.348577151a56390b210ca43f0f72ae0e.jpg

r horn-tentacle, l horn-tentacle, 3 rows of back spikes, tail, and base

So that is 7 out of 14 parts done.  And the remaining parts are mostly smaller except for the tail (soooo many spikes!) and the base - which is a hefty chunk of real estate.

brown liner is holding on strong.  Will save the base for last and decide at the end if it will go gray instead of the brown. I am leaning that way still.  

Brush is looking a bit worn, but should hold up for a bit more punishment.  

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Ugh, the mold lines on this guy. :zombie: I eventually gave up on cleaning all of them and just removed the worst offenders. It took me half a second to process what you meant by 'digits', then I laughed. ^_^

Yes, I'm finding them still after spending a decent chunk of time working at em.  Even ones I thought I'd really gotten rid of are showing up with the liner.  They aren't bothering me too much though.  And they would have if I hadn't done what I could in two hours.  

Oh yeah, perhaps I should give a short glossary of Thumbisms:

digits - my offspring.  What some call their spawn or minions.  I'm a thumb, so they are digits.  I have two and I may even take to calling them index (Indy?) and middle.  If we have a third it will be pinky. Or we can save that for the dog if we ever get one.  Other parent will be referred to as Ring Finger for symbolic reasons.  

Right now Ring Finger is away for a few days so I am solo parent for the first half of this challenge.  This will be mostly apparent by my lack of progress throughout the day Saturday, but who knows, maybe we will have a little family painting time?

• Like 10

Okay, all but the base has a coat of liner.  Will check for white spots tomorrow.  Still plenty of brown liner in the bottle.  10 hours down, 158 to go.  I can afford to sleep some.

• Like 4

Good start!

Make sure you get a good coat of liner on the all the spikes, especially the tips.  With moving all those big heavy pieces, like the torso, I still had some problems with rub off even with the brown liner.

Also, the base can be a bit bendy once the big fella is attached.  You may want to consider attaching it to something, or how you are going to attach it later, before you get too far along.

• Like 3

Very good advice, Jasper! Now that you mention it, I also had some issues with paint rubbing off of the spikes and I pinned his base down to a wooden base so he wouldn't tip over.

It feels like I painted Khanjira so long ago, my brain isn't bringing up a lot of the details. Kally and DDS2 were so much more horrifying, my brain only wants to focus on the trauma of painting them in 7 days. ::P:

• Like 5

Oh right, I'd forgotten about that too. Yeah, the base is both too bendy and too small to keep Khanjira upright, so attaching it to something is advisable. I used an old CD (after the challenge was done). ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, all.  I will have to think about what I'll do with the base.  I think in the end I will leave khanji and the base as separate pieces since I can see using the base as scatter terrain occasionally.  Maybe mounting it on something stiffer will allow me to extend the terrain part a bit more.  

I may have to hit the spikes again as I look for white spots.  I took almost an hour this morning to cover the base.  I actually ended up using pokorny paint (dwarven forge brand) since I think of it as paint for terrain.  About 3:1 base gray to black.  I've done this before with DDS2.  It's a little tricky since you have to dilute it since it goes on thick, but too much water and the bones material repels the paint.  At the right consistency though it has excellent coverage and goes pretty fast.  And for terrain I don't mind losing a little bit of detail.  I would not recommend this for a figure where you want to see all of the detail.  But this way it might match there color scheme of my other terrain.  

blurry pic of everything "primed"

image.jpg.1f57b74811d0ef7e4be40841d53c0c47.jpg

• Like 9

Comin up for air after another 2 hour block of painting.  I put moldy skin on all of the exposed skin/scales.  That includes both arms, both legs, main body and head and tail.  Didn't touch the back spikes and not sure what to do about the face tentacles.

went through a lot of moldy skin today.  How much did it cost me?

an arm and a leg!

image.jpg.c5bfa08bc103750123231c67478b69ec.jpg

image.jpg.69485a43c292465d749fcb6d6bc7e6dc.jpg

• Like 10

Looking pretty moldy! ....the skin, not the popcorn.

Don't ask what the paint cost, ask what you're gaining from using the paint. Fame! Glory! A boost to your insanity stats! Worth their weight in paint.

• Like 3