Oh no, I hope they don't start talking to each other!  Giving each other ideas.  "Your dragon is a bad influence on my little Khanji!"  ::P:

I have a treat for everyone tonight.  A rather close to finished head (sans hornticles - that's short for horn tentacles cuz I didn't want to write out horn tentacles - definitely not twice).  Just got caught up in all the details during movie time and beyond.  

image.jpg.a29f30a97f5e1801953352964182a025.jpg

image.jpg.28fd3313d12c006b18d88fe28afa8249.jpg

so here's what's going on with the eyes.  I wanted fiery eyes.  No prob.  Yellow then orange then red, right?  Oh, but instead of pupils, I paint a tiny little scene instead.  It is the silhouette of a city (see the little tall towers and stuff?). And obviously the city is in flames because: Kaiju.  So you see reflected in the eye the destruction caused by Khanjira.  Of course it would help if I could make straight lines, but I'm actually pleased despite the flawed execution - it's artistic, doncha know?  And like the fire makes everything wavy with the vapor and the reflection off of the curved surface of the eye and and.

oh and the best (worst) part?  I am still using the same brush I started with.  I really should have switched out to something with a better tip for that eye, but it didn't occur to me until I had loaded up the paint on that brush and was bringing it in for a landing and at that point I wasn't about to pull up.

enough rambles for tonight.  Sleep calls.  

PS - the only parts at this point that do not have paint beyond the liner is the base and the two hornticles.  Everything else has its base coat at least. I'm even starting to think about doing some gluing on this over the weekend.

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Oh no, I hope they don't start talking to each other!  Giving each other ideas.  "Your dragon is a bad influence on my little Khanji!"  ::P:

I have a treat for everyone tonight.  A rather close to finished head (sans hornticles - that's short for horn tentacles cuz I didn't want to write out horn tentacles - definitely not twice).  Just got caught up in all the details during movie time and beyond.  

Hide contents

image.jpg.a29f30a97f5e1801953352964182a025.jpg

image.jpg.28fd3313d12c006b18d88fe28afa8249.jpg

so here's what's going on with the eyes.  I wanted fiery eyes.  No prob.  Yellow then orange then red, right?  Oh, but instead of pupils, I paint a tiny little scene instead.  It is the silhouette of a city (see the little tall towers and stuff?). And obviously the city is in flames because: Kaiju.  So you see reflected in the eye the destruction caused by Khanjira.  Of course it would help if I could make straight lines, but I'm actually pleased despite the flawed execution - it's artistic, doncha know?  And like the fire makes everything wavy with the vapor and the reflection off of the curved surface of the eye and and.

oh and the best (worst) part?  I am still using the same brush I started with.  I really should have switched out to something with a better tip for that eye, but it didn't occur to me until I had loaded up the paint on that brush and was bringing it in for a landing and at that point I wasn't about to pull up.

enough rambles for tonight.  Sleep calls.  

PS - the only parts at this point that do not have paint beyond the liner is the base and the two hornticles.  Everything else has its base coat at least. I'm even starting to think about doing some gluing on this over the weekend.

By the gods, that's brilliant with the eyes! This 7 day challenge has me particularly excited for what surprises you come up with!

• Like 5

The 72 hour update.  

This morning I tried to sleep in while pirates took over the house.  Then the Pirates demanded pancakes, which I whipped up for a later than usual breakfast.  Next they demanded a game of kingdom builder.  Game ended with a tie score.  Nice!  Finally we had family paint time.  Let the Pirates each pick a bones out to slip paint on while I worked on the base.  Thought the base was a good choice since it would not require that steady of a hand or much concentration and if it gets messed up, no biggie.  Used all pokorny paints on this.  Felt funny dry brushing terrain with such a small brush.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Pictures are very shiny though.  Weird.  

image.jpg.0142366cca47491708edc762396f3bfc.jpg

image.jpg.8cce8558ac45f53d25b2b062800d61dc.jpg

This afternoon I have a work thing, so the Pirates have been dropped off with grumpy while I do that.  But with 96 hours left, I'm not too stressed.  Base is complete unless I wanna add some tufts and stuff -yes, please.  My biggest worry at this point is assembly.  Did others who did he 7 day challenge worry about filling gaps, and having to wait for it to cure to paint over?  Seems that would just not work with the limited time.

• Like 11

Thanks Xherman. While the base was quick and stress free, turning back to the main event is rather disheartening.  

This is my halfway point, time-wise.  But now I am at the point where I feel like everything I do is doing at least as much harm as good.  Yes paint is rubbing off as I handle things too rough.  And I'm getting a little hasty/sloppy with the paint and making more mistakes that need to be cleaned up.  And of course as soon as I fix things or reapply rubbed off paint, I stick my fingers in the fresh paint as I grab it again.  

Amidst this, I got paint on the last pieces without a base coat: the hornticles.  I'm not 100% sure about the direction I ended up going with them.  The tentacles are very drab in a dusky skin color with a few dots of the moldy skin.  While the horns on the other hand are loud and obnoxious.  I wanted some alien goo on my Khanjira (that is the paint color, alien goo), and I wasn't sure I liked the idea of putting it on the blue spikes anymore.  So I went for it with these horns.  I wanted the goo glow to come from he center of the horns so I put some coal black on the raised areas to give that impression. Instead it is looking like a wasp.  I think I'll actually dial back the coal black and or find another color to ease up on the contrast.  It's just too too.  That said, I did not entirely decide this before going ahead with assembly.  Ruh roh.

So about the gluing.  It becomes immediately apparent why so many pieces when you start putting it together and see how many spikes poke out and block he brush from reaching certain areas.  I think I'll be fine with this, but it's bound to annoy me soon.  I will wait to glue arms and legs until I've done a bit more work on the skin and gone back over everything on the limbs.

pictures were taken while I hold things together and wait for glue to dry.  

back spike puzzle complete

image.jpg.5cfa1f98639603f0590cfcc377b28bc2.jpg

Those crazy horns from above.

image.jpg.96c6cc501557e277e05c6dda77994f37.jpg

Tilt your chin up just a bit more.  Open wide and say Khanjiraaaah.

image.jpg.f938228a8c068d6d66e9d53441acce62.jpg

remaining tasks:

go over skin everywhere except the head. 

Touch up spikes.

Recoat and highlight arm and leg plates

touch up spikes

decide what to do about big honking shoulder pads and do it.

touch up spikes.

assemble arms and legs and tail.

really touch up spikes good.

final dry brushing and last minute crazy inspiration details.

then maybe put some cool stuff on the base.  

I can totally do this.  But first I should sleep.

Edited by InvisibleThumb
Extra bad photo removed
  • Like 12

Those eyes!  :wub:  This is coming along great!!  Keep at it! 

Great job keeping this moving while dealing with the invading pirates.  I hope to try my hand at one of these challenges one day, but it will be a week when my wife takes the subunits away.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

OH MY GOSH THOSE EYES!!! :O So wow, much amaze. 

What a cool idea! They're definitely my favorite part of the piece so far, so awesome! I love your color combinations, they're quite striking.

Personally I think the crazy stripey horns look cool, but I understand if that's not what you were going for. If you want the green to look more like a glow, perhaps thinning some more alien goo to a wash or glaze consistency (fairly translucent when you paint with it on a piece of paper) then lightly going over the edges of the black parts a few times to tint them green would help sell the effect. Guindyloo could probably describe how to do it better, though, since I've never done a glowing effect before. However, this is also something you could do post-Challenge if you don't want to mess around with an unfamiliar technique right now. 

I know it's discouraging when things don't go according to plan, but keep your (and Khanjira's) chin up! You've done great work so far, and he's already looking pretty awesome! Pushing through the slump in the middle is the hardest part! If you can do that, you've got it in the bag. ^_^

You can totally do this! I believe in you! :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 6

Spent oh about 40 minutes - after picking up RF (ring finger) from the airport, doing some shopping pre-party, and lunch out - glazing some alien goo on the horns and retouching the blues spikes. Not just on the body but on the arms and tail as well, so that was forward progress.  The glue held up better than I'd expected so I'm happy about that.  There's just one gap between the back and neck spikes that's a bit bigger than is normally acceptable.  I was able to shove some more blue paint into the gap with the trusty size 10/0, but I'll be filling that gap when this is over, if not before.

no pics yet.  I'm familying until tonight but then it'll be full on skin clinic.  Khanjira will  feel like the most pampered Kaiju of all when I get done.  

• Like 5

Imma change things up tonight and put the pictures first. 

image.jpg.7a045dde55b1d29d8b2a4f83d98c63de.jpg

image.jpg.b3cde34c6311b041ab58a6041c703463.jpg

image.jpg.f5085e669e9fb16f72111c16d0f025e2.jpg

sorry about the flash.  I couldn't move to a better spot for pics since glue is drying.  The pink cup is helping hold the tail up while glue dries.  Glue has been applied on all areas except the base and the left leg.  That one is going to prove especially difficult and I want to make sure all the other glue is dry before wrestling with it.  

Doesnt show well in the pictures but I went over the skin tonight with the moldy skin again and then washed it with dusky skin, trying to lay in shadows and help the details show.  I may have to go darker and then dry brush moldy skin back over it to get it where I want it, but it is okay for now.  

I also want to highlight the armor plates in the arms and legs some more.  I'm thinking holly berry will work as a slightly orange red.  

Then I get to decide how crazy I wanna go on those back spikes and shoulder plates.  

I am not real happy with the gaps remaining, but I don't think I'm crazy enough to try to fill them while the challenge is still happening.  Someone want to talk me into or out of or at least through the gap filling issue?

• Like 7

I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. How much time do I realistically have left? How much do I have left to do? How much time is gap filling going to take me? How much new work am I going to create to touch up after gap filling and do I have time to do that?

Answer those questions and decide from there. 

I didn't fill the gaps on mine and I wish that I had done so before I took him to Reapercon, but I didn't have time to do it while I was still going through the challenge because I'm a slow painter and needed all the time I had. 

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 6

Most of the gaps on Khanjira are probably too big for that method. I'm sure it would work for little hairline cracks, but I'm doubtful that it would be the right application here. 

However, that method absolutely works for doing away with missed moldlines. I use GW's 'Ardcoat for it, as that's what Jessica Rich specifically recommended when I was having trouble with a big moldline on a skirt, but I could see it working with any thick varnish. 

• Like 5

Thanks Guindyloo and Rahz!  Sadly the gaps are too big to use the varnish trick - though I like that idea and hope to use it on another model.  I think I will fill the gaps with gs after the challenge ends.  I don't need the extra pressure and don't want to really mess things up because I am hurrying.  

To be honest, this is the first model I've painted unassembled and had to deal with assembly and gap filling while there is paint that I don't want to mess up.  Other big models I've done I have assembled first or right after primer.  I am very glad I painted before putting it together, but maybe I should have tried this out before doing it as a 7 day challenge.  Then again, the challenge is getting me to try out and learn new things that I might not have done anyway.

this morning I found Khanji laying down, so I went ahead and glued the last leg on.  I also did a bit of lining and shading on the legs with walnut brown.  Mid day I will have some time to highlight those arm and leg armor plates.  I'll try to get a day 5 picture that looks a little better than last night's photos.

I am already thinking about my next project after this one.  I may need to do a few character minis for Indy's birthday party in two weeks.  

• Like 5

Here is a quick before and after of the arm plates.  Did the same to legs but forgot to take before pics.  It is subtle, but the holly berry gives them some depth.  

Also put a little witchcraft purple on the tail.  

Before

image.jpg.0c315a57009d1a2e0175d06f9b9501bb.jpg

after

image.jpg.e102c7eb53cc46b25f30e4bbceb9fe6d.jpg

tailimage.jpg.ba1ab3fd522114e05033e634c1ff7cd2.jpg

And a quick pic of the gaps - I can live with them for now.  

image.jpg.284059fba97512e5074230cb9e339086.jpg

Edited by InvisibleThumb
  • Like 8